7's

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

7's

by SWLR » 12 Jul 2006 13:54

Always thought this was a great innitiative as any child's allegiences are usually formed by the age of 8, and what better way than to have them walking around in an RFC shirt.

Well that's what I thought. My little one now qualifies, so I've down loaded the form only to find its not the hoops they are giving away, but a blue Kyocera billboard. Did I get this wrong and this is what they dished out last year?

Blind love of the club means I will fill in the form anyway, but as we are all STHs not sure what to do with the free tickets (unless that's her birthday party sorted, with plenty of Chupa Chups in the party bags!).

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Jul 2006 14:03

You've been the victim of clever spin by Boyd and his merry men. They made a big thing about how the 7s would get a free Reading shirt. Lots of people, including myself, assumed this meant the hoops and applauded this generous and forward thinking initiative.

Truth is they never said it would be a replica Reading FC shirt!

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 12 Jul 2006 14:07

RoyalBlue You've been the victim of clever spin by Boyd and his merry men. They made a big thing about how the 7s would get a free Reading shirt. Lots of people, including myself, assumed this meant the hoops and applauded this generous and forward thinking initiative.

So was it the same last year?

Spirit of Elm Park

Re: 7's

by Spirit of Elm Park » 12 Jul 2006 14:09

SWLR Always thought this was a great innitiative as any child's allegiences are usually formed by the age of 8, and what better way than to have them walking around in an RFC shirt.

Well that's what I thought. My little one now qualifies, so I've down loaded the form only to find its not the hoops they are giving away, but a blue Kyocera billboard. Did I get this wrong and this is what they dished out last year?

Blind love of the club means I will fill in the form anyway, but as we are all STHs not sure what to do with the free tickets (unless that's her birthday party sorted, with plenty of Chupa Chups in the party bags!).

Got to admit I thought it was the same, actually mentioned to my old man that I hope they are still doing it in 5 years when my boy is 7. Tight arsed bandits.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jul 2006 14:14

Spirit of Elm Park
SWLR Always thought this was a great innitiative as any child's allegiences are usually formed by the age of 8, and what better way than to have them walking around in an RFC shirt.

Got to admit I thought it was the same, actually mentioned to my old man that I hope they are still doing it in 5 years when my boy is 7. Tight arsed bandits.

Damn right, the b@stards. How dare they give away something free to young fans. It's a disgrace I tells ya.
Last edited by Stranded on 12 Jul 2006 15:25, edited 1 time in total.

quinnsleftfoot

by quinnsleftfoot » 12 Jul 2006 14:28

I find it unbelieveable you can criticise the club for giving something away for free. Would you rather we sign one less player this year or give all the kids a replica shirt. The money has to come from somewhere. As a full paying adult I'm getting pretty much f*ck all for my £550 except for access to the games and I don't expect anymore in return.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 12 Jul 2006 14:41

SWLR
RoyalBlue You've been the victim of clever spin by Boyd and his merry men. They made a big thing about how the 7s would get a free Reading shirt. Lots of people, including myself, assumed this meant the hoops and applauded this generous and forward thinking initiative.

So was it the same last year?

Yes, it was.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 12 Jul 2006 16:36

My neighbours kid got a hooped replica Reading shirt and Steve Sidwell handed him the tickets in person, I presume they were for a Reading game and not a Charlton one :wink:

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 12 Jul 2006 18:33

quinnsleftfoot I find it unbelieveable you can criticise the club for giving something away for free. Would you rather we sign one less player this year or give all the kids a replica shirt. The money has to come from somewhere. As a full paying adult I'm getting pretty much f*ck all for my £550 except for access to the games and I don't expect anymore in return.

I'm not stating I'm critical of the initiative - it is excellent as I've already stated. However as Royalblue states its the over spin of the offer that then leaves you with a slight empty feeling when it comes to the event.

Marketing in my business is aimed at creating brand loyalty by setting and then exceeding expectations. In the case of RFC that brand loyalty comes as a given and no action of RFC's current management will break it, although they can temporarily dilute it. So, when they underdeliver against an expectation, you get that sinking feeling, because you so much want the club to succeed (in this case exceed an expectation) in all they do.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 12 Jul 2006 19:02

The 7s shirt is a one-piece, cotton, printed shirt, much cheaper to produce than the "official" merchadise shirt, which is a multi-panelled shirt made to much higher manufacturing standards.

And rightly so - the 7s shirt is being given away to people who may not ever wear it, and may alredy supportother clubs but fancy something f or nothing.

It's one of those many situations when whatever the club do then they will get slaughtered by people on internet message boards. If they'd given the "official" merchadise shirt away to 7s then what sort of reaction would there have been from people who had paid good money buying their kids of 6 or 8 or whatever the "official" shirt at 30 quid a pop?

Damned if they do, damned if they don't!

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 12 Jul 2006 19:19

I can't understand why anybody's getting so hot under the collar over this one. As Dirk has rightly pointed out, there would be a total outcry if RFC started giving away replica shirts. I'm one of the club's biggest critics when it comes to marketing but there really is nothing to see here.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 12 Jul 2006 22:19

shadesrwrf I can't understand why anybody's getting so hot under the collar over this one. As Dirk has rightly pointed out, there would be a total outcry if RFC started giving away replica shirts. I'm one of the club's biggest critics when it comes to marketing but there really is nothing to see here.

I can't understand why people don't read threads and not jump to conclusions. 'hot under the collar' - my arse

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 13 Jul 2006 10:47

FWIW my son was delighted with his shirt. It says 'Royals' in big letters and bears the club badge. It also seems to have washed/worn quite well so is of reasonable quality.

This season's free tickets will be to see the Chupa Chup Soccer PM reserve team games.

The OS Player autograph hunting will also be available with first team players in attendance. This is also the night when we will be holding our new Sevens presentations.

Last season Reading Football Club had nearly 4000 seven year olds register on the scheme and the Club is hoping for at least the same number this season.

Seven year olds will receive a free unique football shirt and four free tickets to Soccer PM to come along with their family.

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 42,00.html

I have a feeling our season tickets won't get us in to reserve games this season.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 Jul 2006 12:33

As I understand it, St holderswil get into these reserve games for something like £3, with kids a quid each.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 13 Jul 2006 12:52

Dirk Gently As I understand it, St holderswil get into these reserve games for something like £3, with kids a quid each.

So now we've all got to be saints before being allowed admission? How much more difficult is RFC going to make it? :roll:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 Jul 2006 12:53

shadesrwrf
Dirk Gently As I understand it, St holderswil get into these reserve games for something like £3, with kids a quid each.

So now we've all got to be saints before being allowed admission? How much more difficult is RFC going to make it? :roll:

LOL Sorry about my typing!

Someone in authority realised that we were in the Premier Reserve League so assumed we must be Southampton.

16 posts   •   Page 1 of 1