BBC Berks Live commentary is no more....Oh yes it is!

161 posts
Dangerous
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: 2006 HNA? Ryder Cup Prediction Winner! 2007/08 NFL Prediction League Winner! Retired.

by Dangerous » 21 Jul 2006 07:01

Lurking Perhaps mass emails complaining to the club as well?

E-Mailing complaints to the club have not worked for me, they casually brushed off the DVD complaint and blamed it on Meridian, and Meridian are even worse at replying.

WestCoast Life
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by WestCoast Life » 21 Jul 2006 07:52

Dirk Gently Their agenda is to maximise revenue for all of JM's companies, at the expense of past (and potential future) customers of just one of those companies.

Wrong.

Nigel Howe works for Reading FC. Reading 107 is a separate business.

No doubt 107 are paying more than BBC Berks - they will be able to increase the advertiser rates for premiership coverage. I guess there will also be loads of programme sponsorship, premium lines for phone-ins etc. BBC is paid for out of the TV license and is not as flexible.

It is a better deal for RFC financially, but have they really worked out the 'cost' of upsetting the fans now that a significant proportion of regional fans can no longer listen to commentry on the radio ?. It will also mean that the 95% of the fan base who do not attend away games will now miss out. Reading World is not always a practical option and unlikely to be taken up by the casual supporter.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 21 Jul 2006 08:03

WestCoast Life
Dirk Gently Their agenda is to maximise revenue for all of JM's companies, at the expense of past (and potential future) customers of just one of those companies.

Wrong.

107 may be a separate business but it is owned by John Madejski.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 21 Jul 2006 08:11

Dirk Gently No, not a shambles at all - they know exactly what they're doing and they're doing it well. Their agenda is to maximise revenue for all of JM's companies, at the expense of past (and potential future) customers of just one of those companies.

And it's a different agenda to what fans would want, but that's irrelevant now the product being sold is a "premium product" giving the ability to do this. And just about any businessman in the world would do the same.

As I've said before, welcome to the Premier League!

I just read that and wept. What is my club becoming?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Jul 2006 08:13

shadesrwrf
WestCoast Life

Wrong.

107 may be a separate business but it is owned by John Madejski.

... in exactly the same way that Sky TV, The Sun, The Times, etc are all independent companies but all part of the same group. They go phenomenally out of their way to cross-promote each other, often to the detriment of their customers or fair competition.

WCL, I appreciate what you're saying about the revenue income - but for BBC Berks it was hardly a level playing field, bidding against someone within the same group of companies. I bet it wasn't a proper "sealed-bids" situation.

The biggest question, though, is why suddenly we had to go to selling an "exclusive rights" package - for many years there have been two broadcasters covering games, and that worked beautifully. If you like commercial radio and lived in their small catchment area, then 107 was available - for the vast majority BBCB provided an invaluable public service role.

The only justification for that decision can be the commercial one of giving 107 something that will make people want to listen to them (or rather, have no alternative to listen to them) and to freeze out competition.
Last edited by Dirk Gently on 21 Jul 2006 08:17, edited 1 time in total.

Skin
Hob Nob Regular
Location: You are now about to witness the strength of street knowledge

by Skin » 21 Jul 2006 08:16

Just got up and I am more pissed off than yesterday about this. I never thought for one moment I would ever champion BBCRB but when 107 is the only alternative its a joke, this club is taking the piss out if us now, what's the best e-mail address to send a complaint to the club? Not that I can see a U-turn I would just like some non-money related justification. Yeah right.

Adrian's Fool

by Adrian's Fool » 21 Jul 2006 08:45

Skin Just got up and I am more pissed off than yesterday about this.

Me too, I am feeling the rage today. Listening to away games on BBC online (from London) had become an institution in our house. The BBC Berks website has also been excellent for interviews, pictures and so on, and I wonder whether that will also go out of the window now that they won't be able to fully cover the matches?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 21 Jul 2006 08:58

Why I like BBC berks? Apart from the entertainment value and the great commentators who provide comedy as well as information it's easy to listen to. No adverts, no stupid music breaks, good guests, and the people I liked to listen too.

Most importantly I really feel BBC Berks were dedicated, providing an hour or more before the match and after to take interviews, phone calls from fans, to commentate about the players warming up, and showing highlights from the previous game, or the one just gone.

I thoroughly doubt 107 will be as dedicated. It seems as they they are trying to have their finger in as many pies as possible. More offensive is that they have the cheek to say "107FM, the home of the royals..." or "The official radio station of Reading FC". Why'd they stop the royal box then that I used to listen to a couple of years ago, then suddenly one match there was just music and no commentry :shock: :twisted:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jul 2006 09:11

107 have announced dedicated shows to Reading FC every Monday and Friday as part of the deal. Maybe they are taking it more seriously now and an increase in quality will result.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 21 Jul 2006 09:13

Stranded 107 have announced dedicated shows to Reading FC every Monday and Friday as part of the deal. Maybe they are taking it more seriously now and an increase in quality will result.

Excellent - two new dedicated shows. One for each listener?

southbank1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: And yeah I'd love to tell you all my problem, you're not from New York City you're from Rotherham

by southbank1871 » 21 Jul 2006 09:13

This is really disappointing. Not only is the 107 coverage cack, but as has previously been stated, it's difficult to get a decent reception anywhere outside of central Reading. I've even had bad reception driving past the Madejski before.

Used to listen to games when I was at uni down in Southampton, and listening to the commentary, you always felt they really cared about the club. I don't think you get that with 107.

joe999

by joe999 » 21 Jul 2006 09:34

Feel really sorry for Joel and Tim. Been with RFC through all the good and bad times and now they've just been dumped on. Stuff 107 it's awful.

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 21 Jul 2006 09:36

Send an email to bbc berks if you feel strongly enough. Tell them you think it's crap and you'll miss them.

I did. Otherwise they won't even know.

Kingsley's Kousin

by Kingsley's Kousin » 21 Jul 2006 09:43

Too late this year, but how about setting up a 'fighting fund' to donate to BBC Berks so they can afford to outbid 107 if we're in the Prem in 2007-8.

I'd be willing to give something towards it, who else?

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 21 Jul 2006 09:45

its gash. even on the website they say "long standing partnership comes to an end" its basically like saying "backstabbed, we love money"

if....IF we get relegated, do you think reading 107 will stay on?

joe999

by joe999 » 21 Jul 2006 09:48

I can imagine what Berkshire will say if they're asked to come back.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Jul 2006 09:51

joe999 I can imagine what Berkshire will say if they're asked to come back.

So can I, it's three letters long, it begins with Y, ends in S and has an E in the middle.

wehateoxford

by wehateoxford » 21 Jul 2006 09:56

agreed, whilst the club can turn on radio berks, i dont think they'd turn on us, its unfair they've been reduced to a text and phone in service

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 21 Jul 2006 10:05

BBC Radio Berkshire Dear All,

Just a quick note to say many thanks for all your kind words in the wake of the news of BBC Radio Berkshire losing the Reading FC commentary rights.

Rest assured that 'Loyal to the Royals' is more than a slogan for us and therefore there's no chance of us jumping off the bandwagon after covering the team through thick and thin.

Whilst we won't be able to provide commentary (except for FA matches) we will, of course, continue to cover Royals matches live with regular reports from the mtaches plus goal flashes.

We will also continue to give fans a platform to have their say on the club as well as keeping supporters bang up to date with all the news from the club.

We will still have an extensive and comprehensive pre match programme from 1 o'clock with the phone and text lines open throughout the programme but especially after the final whistle for the post match phone in.

I hope you continue to tune in.

Please feel free to contact me via joel.hufford@bbc.co.uk

All the best

Joel

http://hobnob.royals.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45254

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 21 Jul 2006 10:06

Kingsley's Kousin Too late this year, but how about setting up a 'fighting fund' to donate to BBC Berks so they can afford to outbid 107 if we're in the Prem in 2007-8.

I'd be willing to give something towards it, who else?

Well I just don't think the big bosses at the bbc wanted the contract enough. This is the BBC, they have the money and will buy it if they really want it.

I have a feeling that Reading 107 and JM were not going to give up on this and bbc berkshire's bosses just didn't care enough. After all they are all probably in london, and if asked to give millions and millions to commentate on some football they may just say no.

161 posts