Stadium Expansion

1747 posts
Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 04 Dec 2007 17:04

Coppelled Streets Any bits of gossip from those in the know?

It's 6 months until work would apparently begin so we should be hearing some confirmation of any work being done soon.

I heard the east stand capacity will go ahead no matter if we go down or not as this will be ready for any future return to the top flight and of course help sell the club and make it look more appealing.

Behindu, Mr Gently?

Where do you hear that?

My understanding was that JM had said the extention is a matter for the next owner rather than him and others on here have said that the extention is unlikely in the event of relegation, quite rightly IMHO as we wouldn't get close to filling it.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Dec 2007 17:06

Said on radio this morning that Mr Mad will be making money available for the "right" players. What a cop out! He'll just say we couldn't get who we wanted, when we spend next to nothing on players who aren't prem quality. :roll: No mention of the stadium though.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 04 Dec 2007 17:08

Crikey, that hook was only in the water for ten minutes!

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 04 Dec 2007 17:29

If we go down the extension will definitely go ahead. Well when I say extension, I think what they actually mean is more of a lean to.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Dec 2007 17:34

Royal Lady Said on radio this morning that Mr Mad will be making money available for the "right" players. What a cop out! He'll just say we couldn't get who we wanted, when we spend next to nothing on players who aren't prem quality. :roll: No mention of the stadium though.

What he's meant to say, we've got money available and we're going to spend on any player we can get our hands on?

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 05 Dec 2007 17:37

Stranded
Royal Lady Said on radio this morning that Mr Mad will be making money available for the "right" players. What a cop out! He'll just say we couldn't get who we wanted, when we spend next to nothing on players who aren't prem quality. :roll: No mention of the stadium though.

What he's meant to say, we've got money available and we're going to spend on any player we can get our hands on?

"We're a small club that can't compete financially at this level but money is available and we'll endeavour to bring the quality to the club that will take us forward, even if it's for small pickings compared to our London neighbours."

With regards to Schards reply, a reliable poster had mentioned about the east stand capacity going ahead no matter what but the north and south stands would depend very much on what division we find ourselves in at the time.

Hence why I'm asking if that's just talk or indeed true.

There are those on here that do have a friend or two that hear what's going on and that's why I'd like their input.

Dirk Gently No new information. No decision made yet AFAIK.

Thank you.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 06 Dec 2007 08:59

Coppelled Streets
There are those on here that do have a friend or two that hear what's going on and that's why I'd like their input.

Dirk Gently No new information. No decision made yet AFAIK.

Thank you.

As far as I am aware, there are some at the club who think the club can only move forward with the expansion and some who are very much aware of the costs and as Dirk has said the decision is still to be taken.

So if you talk to some people you will think it is a done deal one way and to others a done deal the other way depending on who they have talked to. On the other hand maybe I've just talked to the wrong people :lol:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Dec 2007 09:49

Coppelled Streets
Stranded

"We're a small club that can't compete financially at this level but money is available and we'll endeavour to bring the quality to the club that will take us forward, even if it's for small pickings compared to our London neighbours."

Which can be taken in exactly the same way i.e. we've got money available but there's not many players that we can get of the quality we need.

Even if he'd not given a quote, some would have gone on about how quiet he's been in the run up to a transfer window.

DaveM

by DaveM » 06 Dec 2007 10:35

Would help with getting out of the stadium quicker as takes an age to get out currently.

Kes

by Kes » 06 Dec 2007 11:50

The plus side for the expansion even if the ground isn't full is you can site pretty much where you like, just as in a few seasons ago when crowds were about 10,000 to 13,000.

That way you're not stuck sitting next to some annoying idiot, you can go and do a bit of sunbathing down the front and you dont feel bad about constantly walking past those fans who sit in their seats an hour and half before kick off and never leave them till after the final whistle.

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 07 Dec 2007 13:41

Schards#2

It's 6 months until work would apparently begin so we should be hearing some confirmation of any work being done soon.

I heard the east stand capacity will go ahead no matter if we go down or not as this will be ready for any future return to the top flight and of course help sell the club and make it look more appealing.

Behindu, Mr Gently?

Where do you hear that?

My understanding was that JM had said the extention is a matter for the next owner rather than him and others on here have said that the extention is unlikely in the event of relegation, quite rightly IMHO as we wouldn't get close to filling it.

Ah but yeah but no but yeah but no but - if we DID go down,we could more easily manage with a lower capacity in the Championship than the Premier League for a season, while the East Stand was being extended.

And by the way man never landed on the moon....

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 07 Dec 2007 13:53

Muskrat
Schards#2

Behindu, Mr Gently?

Where do you hear that?

Ah but yeah but no but yeah but no but - if we DID go down,we could more easily manage with a lower capacity in the Championship than the Premier League for a season, while the East Stand was being extended.

And by the way man never landed on the moon....

If we do go down, i'll be suggesting we convert half the North Stand into a supermarket a la Bolton.

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 16 Dec 2007 23:29

JM has made it clear on BBCRB & Talk Shite that he sees the expansion as something for a new owner to take forward rather than him. In other words the planning application was solely to make the club more attractive to prospective purchasers and there was never any intention that the present Board would take it forward. I think that this is a great pity as the stadium as it stands lacks room to introduce the flexible pricing policies that the club needs to adopt if it is to survive. For example there is an urgent need to introduce a family area where parents and their children can obtain seats at a low cost. This would enable the club to charge full price with no concessions in the premium areas. This would be a win win situation as parents with children would get an area to themselves at a reasonable price and others like myself would no longer be bothered by kids who are more interested in the refreshments and running around than watching the game and occupy a seat at half price which could be filled by an adult.

Whether or not the expansion goes ahead I hope that the club take up my suggestion that ticket prices should reflect costs incurred. It is a nonsense that people in the Upper West have to pay more than those in the East Stand. Only the minimum of stewarding is needed in the Upper West and the people there spend more in the concourse. Most of the Police and stewarding arise at the East Sytand/South Stand interface and people there should pay accordingly. Why should people in the Upper West subsidise other parts of the ground?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 17 Dec 2007 13:11

North Somerset Royal Whether or not the expansion goes ahead I hope that the club take up my suggestion that ticket prices should reflect costs incurred. It is a nonsense that people in the Upper West have to pay more than those in the East Stand. Only the minimum of stewarding is needed in the Upper West and the people there spend more in the concourse. Most of the Police and stewarding arise at the East Sytand/South Stand interface and people there should pay accordingly. Why should people in the Upper West subsidise other parts of the ground?

£30 quid a season more to sit in the posh stand? Hardly a massive differential. I'm sure you pay a far higher premium to live in a house away from the general riff-raff!

Don't you know, price is all about 'location, location, location!'

As for the other assertions re cost and spend are these backed up by any financial figures from somewhere?

working class hero

by working class hero » 17 Dec 2007 13:35

Most of the Police and stewarding arise at the East Sytand/South Stand interface and people there should pay accordingly. Why should people in the Upper West subsidise other parts of the ground?

Indeed. Just ban the scum who infest this area and let in more yuppy types and we could lay off lots of stewards and reduce every other ST by about 3p per game. :roll:

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 17 Dec 2007 16:38

North Somerset Royal JM has made it clear on BBCRB & Talk Shite that he sees the expansion as something for a new owner to take forward rather than him. In other words the planning application was solely to make the club more attractive to prospective purchasers and there was never any intention that the present Board would take it forward. I think that this is a great pity as the stadium as it stands lacks room to introduce the flexible pricing policies that the club needs to adopt if it is to survive. For example there is an urgent need to introduce a family area where parents and their children can obtain seats at a low cost. This would enable the club to charge full price with no concessions in the premium areas. This would be a win win situation as parents with children would get an area to themselves at a reasonable price and others like myself would no longer be bothered by kids who are more interested in the refreshments and running around than watching the game and occupy a seat at half price which could be filled by an adult.

Whether or not the expansion goes ahead I hope that the club take up my suggestion that ticket prices should reflect costs incurred. It is a nonsense that people in the Upper West have to pay more than those in the East Stand. Only the minimum of stewarding is needed in the Upper West and the people there spend more in the concourse. Most of the Police and stewarding arise at the East Sytand/South Stand interface and people there should pay accordingly. Why should people in the Upper West subsidise other parts of the ground?

Please explain why the football club have said when works could begin if in fact the present board have no intention of expanding the current capacity?

http://www.readingfc.premiumtv.co.uk/pa ... 72,00.html

Expansion work to begin in 2008
Posted on: Fri 29 Jun 2007
:?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 17 Dec 2007 16:47

Coppelled Streets
North Somerset Royal JM has made it clear on BBCRB & Talk Shite that he sees the expansion as something for a new owner to take forward rather than him. In other words the planning application was solely to make the club more attractive to prospective purchasers and there was never any intention that the present Board would take it forward. I think that this is a great pity as the stadium as it stands lacks room to introduce the flexible pricing policies that the club needs to adopt if it is to survive. For example there is an urgent need to introduce a family area where parents and their children can obtain seats at a low cost. This would enable the club to charge full price with no concessions in the premium areas. This would be a win win situation as parents with children would get an area to themselves at a reasonable price and others like myself would no longer be bothered by kids who are more interested in the refreshments and running around than watching the game and occupy a seat at half price which could be filled by an adult.

Please explain why the football club have said when works could begin if in fact the present board have no intention of expanding the current capacity?

First post on the "A bit worrying..." thread 6th August 2007

Q.E.D

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 17 Dec 2007 16:56

Quite possibly the funniest post ever written.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 17 Dec 2007 20:18

Schards#2
Coppelled Streets

First post on the "A bit worrying..." thread 6th August 2007

Q.E.D

That was copied and pasted from the OS. (printed on Fri 29th Jun 2007) if you thought I meant from a post on here. :?

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:.

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 17 Dec 2007 21:04

thats exactly why it costs more, because you don't have to sit with the common people.
if you don't like paying the extra why not sit in another stand?

1747 posts