Stadium Expansion

1747 posts
North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 18 Dec 2007 06:18

Please explain why the football club have said when works could begin if in fact the present board have no intention of expanding the current capacity

That was way back in June. JM made his comments within the last two months. Things may have changed or they may have a purchaser lined up. Either way I assume that JM would not havce said this if he intended to start work in the close season.

Quite possibly the funniest post ever written.

You are too kind! And you thought satire was dead didnt you. :D

North Somerset Royal

by North Somerset Royal » 18 Dec 2007 06:30

Coppelled Streets wrote:
North Somerset Royal wrote:
JM has made it clear on BBCRB & Talk Shite that he sees the expansion as something for a new owner to take forward rather than him. In other words the planning application was solely to make the club more attractive to prospective purchasers and there was never any intention that the present Board would take it forward. I think that this is a great pity as the stadium as it stands lacks room to introduce the flexible pricing policies that the club needs to adopt if it is to survive. For example there is an urgent need to introduce a family area where parents and their children can obtain seats at a low cost. This would enable the club to charge full price with no concessions in the premium areas. This would be a win win situation as parents with children would get an area to themselves at a reasonable price and others like myself would no longer be bothered by kids who are more interested in the refreshments and running around than watching the game and occupy a seat at half price which could be filled by an adult.

Whether or not the expansion goes ahead I hope that the club take up my suggestion that ticket prices should reflect costs incurred. It is a nonsense that people in the Upper West have to pay more than those in the East Stand. Only the minimum of stewarding is needed in the Upper West and the people there spend more in the concourse. Most of the Police and stewarding arise at the East Sytand/South Stand interface and people there should pay accordingly. Why should people in the Upper West subsidise other parts of the ground?

Please explain why the football club have said when works could begin if in fact the present board have no intention of expanding the current capacity?

That was way back in June. JM made his comments within the last two months. Things may have changed or they may have a purchaser lined up. Either way I assume that JM would not havce said this if he intended to start work in the close season.

Quite possibly the funniest post ever written.

You are too kind! And you thought satire was dead didnt you. :D [/list][/code]

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 07 Jan 2008 09:29

To save me going through 50 pages of posts, could someone tell me two things - is the stadium extension going ahead, and if so, when?

Many thanks

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 07 Jan 2008 09:31

SpaghettiHoop To save me going through 50 pages of posts, could someone tell me two things - is the stadium extension going ahead, and if so, when?

Many thanks

Not known/decided yet - but January is the last decision point for it to happen this season, so if it's not decided soon it won't start in the summer.

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 07 Jan 2008 11:01

Won't happen this year.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 07 Jan 2008 13:05

shadesrwrf Won't happen this year.

What you meant to say was "I'm pretty sure it won't happen this year." The first part of your post must have been lost in the submission. Unless you have recently been appointed to the board, or work in the ticket office, in which case I apologise.

working class hero

by working class hero » 07 Jan 2008 13:46

Unless you have recently been appointed to the board, or work in the ticket office, in which case I apologise

The ticket office staff being, of course, so vital that they will know possibly even before the board? :wink:

anR

by anR » 07 Jan 2008 14:23

Rawlie19

What you meant to say was "I'm pretty sure it won't happen this year." The first part of your post must have been lost in the submission. Unless you have recently been appointed to the board, or work in the ticket office, in which case I apologise.

I think the possibility that he is 'anger-shakingly smug' is a little more realistic...

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 07 Jan 2008 15:21

anR
Rawlie19

I think the possibility that he is 'anger-shakingly smug' is a little more realistic...

:lol: How did you guess?

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 07 Jan 2008 15:37

working class hero
Unless you have recently been appointed to the board, or work in the ticket office, in which case I apologise

The ticket office staff being, of course, so vital that they will know possibly even before the board? :wink:

I thought it was the ticket office that made all the major decisions? They certainly have to rubber stamp any signings, that's for sure.

I love you ticket office people, you sit in front of me and NEVER get in the way when you've oxf*rd up your own ticket sales. :wink:

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 09 Jan 2008 23:24

The Extension will go ahead, once this supplier has sorted out the design
http://www.stadico.com/index.php

working class hero

by working class hero » 10 Jan 2008 18:41

SWLR The Extension will go ahead, once this supplier has sorted out the design
http://www.stadico.com/index.php

Now if only these stadia were big enough to accommodate a Subbuteo pitch.... :wink:

Factfinder

by Factfinder » 14 Jan 2008 00:33

Let's have some seats in the concourse, and somewhere to put your pint/pie/coffee - FFS.

Coppelled Streets
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Coppelled Streets » 14 Jan 2008 12:30

Not happening. Not this summer nor the next one, in fact not while JM is at the helm.

At least that's the current gossip. I don't know if Dirk and Co can back that up but it's from a reasonable source.

It's all about making the club more attractive to a prospective buyer, and they're all currently shunning RFC because of the stupid price over its head that JM wants.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 14 Jan 2008 12:44

RFC put PR before truth? Never!

G'La

by G'La » 14 Jan 2008 12:59

Coppelled Streets JM is at the helm.

I didnt know he was gay!

arreff

by arreff » 14 Jan 2008 14:34

Coppelled Streets reports:-
Not happening. Not this summer nor the next one, in fact not while JM is at the helm.

But in the joint statement issued by Reading football club and London Irish on January 11th 2008 announcing the agreement securing the stadium as London Irish’s playing base for professional rugby until the end of the 2025-26 season. It is said that -The current capacity is 24,161. Planning permission to expand to 38,000 was granted by Reading Borough Council in June 2007. Development work to increase the size of the stadium is due to start this summer. Additional seating will be added to the existing single-tier North, East and South Stands and a new roof will be constructed over each. The West Stand will be unaffected.
http://www.london-irish.com/News/Joint_ ... _Club.html

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 14 Jan 2008 16:03

arreff Coppelled Streets reports:-

But in the joint statement issued by Reading football club and London Irish on January 11th 2008 announcing the agreement securing the stadium as London Irish’s playing base for professional rugby until the end of the 2025-26 season. It is said that -The current capacity is 24,161. Planning permission to expand to 38,000 was granted by Reading Borough Council in June 2007. Development work to increase the size of the stadium is due to start this summer. Additional seating will be added to the existing single-tier North, East and South Stands and a new roof will be constructed over each. The West Stand will be unaffected.
http://www.london-irish.com/News/Joint_ ... _Club.html

So, does that mean it is going ahead or isn't? I'm confused.....

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 14 Jan 2008 16:04

Coppelled Streets Not happening. Not this summer nor the next one, in fact not while JM is at the helm.

At least that's the current gossip. I don't know if Dirk and Co can back that up but it's from a reasonable source.

It's all about making the club more attractive to a prospective buyer, and they're all currently shunning RFC because of the stupid price over its head that JM wants.

Jay, the chatlines you ring up in the phone box are about as reliable as dog shit.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 Jan 2008 18:36

Coppelled Streets Not happening. Not this summer nor the next one, in fact not while JM is at the helm.

It will start to look even more stupid as we move closer to the relegation zone.

Like it or not, he is going to have to make some significant commitment both in terms of capital and day to day expenditure if he is to preserve the value of his investment.

1747 posts