Club Car Park

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 20 Nov 2006 12:43

I've been using the P&R at FW for most of this year and have generally found it a breeze.

I don't leave the stadium until about five minutes after the game but I'm still normally on the first set of buses that run back to Shinfield Park. I've been at home in Newbury well before 6pm (or in the equalivent time period for non-3pm KO's). The closing of the HP car park which tended to snarl the buses up will make it even easier although what effect that has on the demand for spaces at FW remains to be seen.

On Saturday I had to come into the game from Reading town centre and was a good two hours ahead of KO so I parked up at the Greyhound stadium. Granted, I had a bit of lucky break where I was parked which enabled me to get to the exit quicker than normal after the game but I was home before 5.30.

The answer surely is not to park in the Stadium car parks if you don't want to get stuck for hours on end waiting to get onto the A33.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 20 Nov 2006 12:45

Fairly good comments there, but once the traffic passes out of the gates and the boundaries of the club's land there is little that they can do about the traffic - that is surely down to the council and the police?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 20 Nov 2006 13:02

West Stand Man
Royalwaster
West Stand Man I used to use my Costco card to get into their car park - but that is getting as difficult as the stadium one to get out of (unsurprisingly as it uses to same exit route).

Now I use the FW P&R. Always on the M4 and heading home within about 20 mins of the final whistle.

So is parking free at Costco on matchday?

Yes, if you have a costco card and get past the security man (simple enough). Just don't expect to escape very quickly. Much easier to bite the bullet and P&R.

But the warning signs have started to go up and, if people who actually want to shop there start complaining that they can't find anywhere to park, expect Costco to start checking how long vehicles have been left there and the clamping to start.

doylefan

by doylefan » 20 Nov 2006 19:47

always park in speedway (granted get there hours before the game to get a spot) but never have a problem getting out. never leave before the whislte is blown!!

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 20 Nov 2006 20:30

Bowman's Quiver I've been using the P&R at FW for most of this year and have generally found it a breeze.

I don't leave the stadium until about five minutes after the game but I'm still normally on the first set of buses that run back to Shinfield Park. I've been at home in Newbury well before 6pm (or in the equalivent time period for non-3pm KO's). The closing of the HP car park which tended to snarl the buses up will make it even easier although what effect that has on the demand for spaces at FW remains to be seen.

When does the P&R fill up at the moment - I've just never tried as 200+ spaces sounded so little. What time do you normally get there before KO?

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 20 Nov 2006 22:28

Royalwaster
Bowman's Quiver I've been using the P&R at FW for most of this year and have generally found it a breeze.

When does the P&R fill up at the moment - I've just never tried as 200+ spaces sounded so little. What time do you normally get there before KO?

I usually get there about an hour before KO time, but have been later than that.

Bowman's Quiver

by Bowman's Quiver » 21 Nov 2006 07:30

West Stand Man
Royalwaster

I usually get there about an hour before KO time, but have been later than that.

I usually get there about an hour and a half before kick-off. I left it too late some games last season and although there were plenty of space to park the buses got caught up in the traffic and we missed kick-off.

HP closing will ease this but at a cost on the demand for parking spaces which will increase no doubt.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 21 Nov 2006 09:39

Just go and park in one of the office car parks in Green Park.

It is extremily easy.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 21 Nov 2006 09:40

Bowman's Quiver
I usually get there about an hour and a half before kick-off. I left it too late some games last season and although there were plenty of space to park the buses got caught up in the traffic and we missed kick-off.

HP closing will ease this but at a cost on the demand for parking spaces which will increase no doubt.

I gather that there are more spaces at FW now in an attempt to allow for the lack of HP, and as far as spaces are concerned I do not think FW ever filled last season. Not sure how the buses are now but the fact that the queues around HP have gone the journey should be, if anything, easier.

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 26 Nov 2006 12:55

With the HP car park closing, my Dad and I decided to park in the car park next to the old brewery for the Charlton game. Granted we got there very early (it was quite eerie not seeing other fans walking to the ground along the A33) but there were no problems parking and it took no longer to get out than the HP. Personally I think if you plan to get to the games early you shouldnt have any problems parking.