Stand Up/Sit Down Campaign

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 11 Aug 2004 17:03

Make a standing area and charge double for the tickets to cover the cost and extra stewarding and safety measures required.

I don't see why sitters should subsidise standers.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 11 Aug 2004 20:54

We already have a standing area - its called outside.

Can't belive this since I was a Terrace fan, but now I've got used to seats and kinda like them.

Madstadchat.com

by Madstadchat.com » 11 Aug 2004 21:18

Terracing is cheaper to steward.
You don't need so many people to come and tell you to sit down.
:lol:

Jay

by Jay » 11 Aug 2004 23:12

I'd love to have a terrace at the Madstad but I doubt very much it will happen.

But there has been talk for years now about making it safer to bring back terracing but I think it's unlikely.

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 11 Aug 2004 23:48

sit down and shut up!!!

Jay

by Jay » 11 Aug 2004 23:49

Yep that's the way, no chanting and please stay sat!

:roll:

Madstadchat.com

by Madstadchat.com » 12 Aug 2004 00:25

No wonder Brighton are taking the piss out of our support.
oxf*rd BRIGHTON as well.
:roll:
If we had more people who were willing to support the team and make the Madejski a fun place to go then perhaps our crowds would rise.

Just 2-0
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Just 2-0 » 12 Aug 2004 07:21

They have actually risen since we moved to an all seater stadium, so much better than standing in the piss filled puddles at EP.

STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

by STAR Liaison » 12 Aug 2004 08:24

At the Fans Parliament the Football Supporters Federation had a demonstration of way of having safe standing in the Walsall ground. I wasn't able to get there that day but understand it was quite successful and several club safety officers attended to see it (and I made sure our safety officer knew about it). I also understand that the Premiership were very badly represented so there is still a big political battle to fight. Also I suspect that stadia that were built since the Hillsborough tradegy are much less likely to be suitable because the angle of the terrace is so much steeper.

It will be another subject for discussion at my next meeting with our safety officer but from previous discussions I would warn you not to hold your breath for standing at the Mad Stad.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 12 Aug 2004 09:22

Madstadchat.com If we had more people who were willing to support the team and make the Madejski a fun place to go then perhaps our crowds would rise.
You don't have to stand up to support the team!

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 12 Aug 2004 09:36

Madstadchat.com No wonder Brighton are taking the piss out of our support.
oxf*rd BRIGHTON as well.

And this matters because...?

I've never understood the fascination some fans have with what fans of other clubs think. I don't give a flying oxf*rd, myself. The fans of other clubs have already proven their lack of footballing knowledge and general bad taste by supporting a club other than Reading, so why should their opinion on any other subject be worth anything?

anR

by anR » 12 Aug 2004 09:43

Coincidently I was right at the back of the stand at Upton Park so I stood up for virtually the entire game. Much more enjoyable!

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 12 Aug 2004 10:43

Deadlock I've never understood the fascination some fans have with what fans of other clubs think. I don't give a flying oxf*rd, myself. The fans of other clubs have already proven their lack of footballing knowledge and general bad taste by supporting a club other than Reading, so why should their opinion on any other subject be worth anything?

Spot On!

shadesrwrf
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by shadesrwrf » 12 Aug 2004 11:06

The mixture of sitting and standing that inevitably happens now at football matches is nothing but an irritation. Of course fans are going to stand up and get a bit excited when the pressure is on an opponents goal. However, this does mean that everybody has their own interpretation of the right time to stand up and the right time to sit down again. So it does end up with people standing up and sitting down at different times with the resultant problem of people's views of the game being blocked.

I would love to see the return of terracing but I am fairly tall and have never had a problem with my view being blocked when standing. However, like the starliaison chap has said, I wouldn't hold your breath because I don't see it happening for many years if it ever will.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 12 Aug 2004 13:10

Deadlock
Madstadchat.com No wonder Brighton are taking the piss out of our support.
oxf*rd BRIGHTON as well.

And this matters because...?

I've never understood the fascination some fans have with what fans of other clubs think. I don't give a flying oxf*rd, myself. The fans of other clubs have already proven their lack of footballing knowledge and general bad taste by supporting a club other than Reading, so why should their opinion on any other subject be worth anything?

100% spot on how can anyone disagree with the POST OF THE YEAR. :lol:

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

Re: More stewards? what!

by West Stand Man » 15 Aug 2004 11:03

Royal_Opinion Thats not true at all because if standing was allowed they wouldnt need so many stewards to enforce the stupidest rule ever made at our football club.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but this could benifit everyone. Standers in one area and sitters in another. I didnt hear the seated members of the crowd complaining at EP.

Just sign the petition and we will all have the choice. Its not fair that Aldershot get the choice but just because we play a better standard of football we dont.

http://www.standupsitdown.co.uk

You obviously aren't old enough to remember terracing. It takes far more stewards to control a standing crowd safely. Standing on terraces is gone for the foreseeable future - and thank god it has too.

Former Southstand Ballboy

by Former Southstand Ballboy » 17 Aug 2004 16:20

I think this is a very sensitive subject in football today.

I remember when my Grandad used to take to the Southbank at EP to watch the Royals, and considering it was smaller in size and slightly in attendences and far more open than the Mad Stad I'll never forget how much better the atmosphere was at EP, than it is at the Mad Stad.

I think for the Stadiums that are being built today with much better facilities, and safty legislation being put in them, they are deffinatly more equipped for terraces than the grounds of old. I remember going to Walsall last year in the FA cup game and I noticed that considering almost all of the ground was seated,and the lower tier on the new stand was terraces. The fans in the terraces made far more noise than the rest of the ground, and from what I saw it looked a hell of alot saffer than the terraces at EP as it had better facilities.

Lets face it as well, whenever we've had a sold out away end at the Mad Stad the fans that have been allowed to stand have made a hell of alot more noise than those that sit, as do we when we go away and we're allowed to stand. I'd say atmosphere and noise levels deffinatly effect the players performance positivly (which is probably why we do better away than at home due to this fact as the Mad Stad is such a graveyard) so I think adding a standing area to the Mad Stad could have a good effect.

Of course theres always going to be the saftey issue but with our facilties and ground design that can be overcome in preventing another Hillsborough. Whoever said Terraces need less stewards, you only have to look at the difference in steward numbers at Gillingham in the past 2 seasons to see that thats not true.

I think bringing in a standing area would be brilliant, but as someone else said I dont think it will happen now.

Hooptastic

by Hooptastic » 18 Aug 2004 13:55

Unfortunately the loss of terraces took the fun out of watching football. I am all for a standing area at the Mad Stad, and there is no foundation in the claim that more stewards would be needed to control it.