Green park station/south Reading station

805 posts
Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by Bandini » 07 Oct 2013 12:27

There isn't the demand.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 07 Oct 2013 12:28

Chicken and egg.

"Build it and they will come"

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular

by Bandini » 07 Oct 2013 12:30

Hadn't thought about it in that way. You make a strong point.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 07 Oct 2013 14:59

When Reading buses made moves to increase the service frequency of route 17 there were those saying it would be the death of the company.

A couple of decades on and it's the busiest bus corridor in central Berkshire.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 07 Oct 2013 15:08

Green Chicken and egg.

"Build it and they will come"

You are George Reynolds AICMFP!

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular

by Bandini » 07 Oct 2013 15:09

Green When Reading buses made moves to increase the service frequency of route 17 there were those saying it would be the death of the company.

A couple of decades on and it's the busiest bus corridor in central Berkshire.

Certainly hard to imagine a world without it.

But where are the imaginative planners of yesteryear to be found these days :?:

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 07 Oct 2013 17:38

Bandini Yep, if the cloggies can build houses in what is, essentially, the sea then at the very least we should be able to bang out a Gentle Ben/Everglades knock off. IN! for powering round Kennet Meadows in one of those giant fan powered boats.

Confused. If they're proposing to build on the field I'm thinking of (the one beside the A33 Relief Road), then the Green Park station would be further away from those houses than it is from the Mad Stad. Must be elsewhere.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 07 Oct 2013 19:48

Deadlock
Bandini Yep, if the cloggies can build houses in what is, essentially, the sea then at the very least we should be able to bang out a Gentle Ben/Everglades knock off. IN! for powering round Kennet Meadows in one of those giant fan powered boats.

Confused. If they're proposing to build on the field I'm thinking of (the one beside the A33 Relief Road), then the Green Park station would be further away from those houses than it is from the Mad Stad. Must be elsewhere.

The whole Kennet Meadows development is for 7,500 houses, so it'll fill most of the floodplain alongside the A33. It was to be built by a number of developers, and the portion of that development to be built by Prudential was down at the Green Park end, and would be served by GP station - to be paid for by Prudential t make their houses more saleable and to overcome transport objections.

One8Seven1

by One8Seven1 » 07 Oct 2013 19:54

Alexander Litvinenko
Deadlock

The whole Kennet Meadows development is for 7,500 houses, so it'll fill most of the floodplain alongside the A33. It was to be built by a number of developers, and the portion of that development to be built by Prudential was down at the Green Park end, and would be served by GP station - to be paid for by Prudential t make their houses more saleable and to overcome transport objections.

Did they get the go-ahead to build on the floodplain in the end? That is ludicrous if so. They're just asking for trouble.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular

by Alexander Litvinenko » 07 Oct 2013 19:56

No. I think the whole scheme is now dead in the water.

Hence no GP station.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 07 Oct 2013 22:18

I thought it was ALL Prudential ?

They were certainly the ones selling us Southcote folk the idea of 20,000 homes. This got knocked back and they then came back with a proposal to leave the bit between the Holybrook & the canal and build 7500 homes south of the canal around/on the lakes.

Utterly stupid proposal as the road networks they were going to put in pace would have meant most residents getting into reading via Burghfield bridge :roll:

Flood plains are there for a reason and should be left the f#ck alone. I don't care if their 'expert' engineers reckon that raising theale reservoir by 1m will sort it..... the engineers are ALWAYS wrong when it comes to building on floodplains in this country, as it always goes wrong

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 07 Oct 2013 22:20

Afaik, the kennet meadows area has been left out of the government's development strategy for the South that runs until 2026, so it's probably dead until then at least

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 07 Oct 2013 22:22

// hatrick-grabbing NIMBY 8)

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 08 Oct 2013 10:12

John Madejski's Wallet Flood plains are there for a reason and should be left the f#ck alone. I don't care if their 'expert' engineers reckon that raising theale reservoir by 1m will sort it..... the
engineers are ALWAYS wrong when it comes to building on floodplains in this country, as it always goes wrong

If our country was five times the size it is I'd be inclined to agree but not sure you can just condemn a load of land not fit for construction because it's a bit marshy?

New homes have to go somewhere JMW - where would you put them then? Perhaps you'd like to see some green belt tarmaced over?

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by John Madejski's Wallet » 08 Oct 2013 15:15

Green
John Madejski's Wallet Flood plains are there for a reason and should be left the f#ck alone. I don't care if their 'expert' engineers reckon that raising theale reservoir by 1m will sort it..... the
engineers are ALWAYS wrong when it comes to building on floodplains in this country, as it always goes wrong

If our country was five times the size it is I'd be inclined to agree but not sure you can just condemn a load of land not fit for construction because it's a bit marshy?

New homes have to go somewhere JMW - where would you put them then? Perhaps you'd like to see some green belt tarmaced over?

Something wrong with where all the empty office blocks are?

For "a bit marshy" read important wetland areas.

And aside from that, it just doesn't ever go right. At some point we just need to tell these 'civil engineers' to just naff off. Or at the very least tie the companies like Pru into being liable for ALL flood damage for 50-100 years ..... wonder if they'd back their own horse then?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 08 Oct 2013 17:16

Common sense should tell you that flood plains are flood plains for a reason so you don't build on them. Oh but then I forgot common sense doesn't enter into planning applications.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 08 Oct 2013 17:27

Land is at a premium in the South East Baz, not sure you're ever gonna find a perfect site for development.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 08 Oct 2013 17:30

Yes I know, shame the flood plains don't realise that :wink:

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 08 Oct 2013 17:47

How many times had the football stadium flooded since it's been there?

Ralph Jolly

by Ralph Jolly » 08 Oct 2013 21:38

Alexander Litvinenko
Green Provincial public transport planners in "missing a trick" shock.

Not really. The extra revenue from the stadium will never be worth enough to make any other investment worthwhile, and I don't think it's transport planners making the decisions. Plus it's a fair old trek to the station, as shown below. ISTR it's reckoned that the only people who'd gain advantage from it are those who'd normally get a stopping train to Basingstoke - everyone else will find it quicker and easier to use the other methods of transport that already exist. That's a pretty small market.

And it's Prudential, owners of Green Park, who are paying for the station to be built, so they can sell houses in the residential development at GP.

Not station related- but does anyone know whats going to happen to the old speedway track. Is that going to be housing, offices or just left empty?

805 posts