Green park station/south Reading station

805 posts
Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by Hound » 12 Jun 2019 20:06

Whereabouts in GP is the station going to be? Tried googling around etc but couldn’t find the exact location. Guessing near the A33?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 12 Jun 2019 22:03

Hound Whereabouts in GP is the station going to be? Tried googling around etc but couldn’t find the exact location. Guessing near the A33?

I think it is the other side of the new houses

The Cube

by The Cube » 12 Jun 2019 22:26

Hound Whereabouts in GP is the station going to be? Tried googling around etc but couldn’t find the exact location. Guessing near the A33?

Surprisingly enough, it will instead be by the railway line and so not near the A33. Just north of the Kirtons Farm Road bridge.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 13 Jun 2019 07:02

The Cube

Surprisingly enough, it will instead be by the railway line and so not near the A33. Just north of the Kirtons Farm Road bridge.

:oops: :lol:

Yes meant the M4 sorry. Even I’d managed to work out it’d need to be on the railway line :)

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 13 Jun 2019 11:11

That’s a proper Trigger moment right there. :lol:

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 13 Jun 2019 11:33

so this will be on the Basingstoke line yes? so you will not be able to get on at Reading to here?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 13 Jun 2019 11:47

WoodleyRoyal so this will be on the Basingstoke line yes? so you will not be able to get on at Reading to here?

:?:

Yeah, it is the Basingstoke -> Reading line.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Jul 2019 12:26

Came into Reading on the Basingstoke line yesterday evening, looks like the very early stages of development is taking shape. couple of earth mounds and building material.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Jul 2019 12:46

The Cube

So, how far is the walk to the ground?

Nameless
Hob Nob Addict

by Nameless » 09 Jul 2019 12:55

paultheroyal
The Cube

It's a fair way, certainly not like the station at Millwall. It's not intended to be the Madejski Stadium halt.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Jul 2019 13:10

Unless there are shuttle buses provided its hard to see too many fans using it, appears to be quite a trek.

The Cube

by The Cube » 09 Jul 2019 21:20

paultheroyal
The Cube

I'd say straight line from station to main stadium entrance would be about half a mile. Of course that would involve wading through a lake and walking through buildings (although based on a triathlon I watched the lake is not deep).

On existing paths, and assuming a sensible route near the station, it should be a little less than a mile.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 09 Jul 2019 21:26

The Cube On existing paths, and assuming a sensible route near the station, it should be a little less than a mile.

windermereROYAL Unless there are shuttle buses provided its hard to see too many fans using it, appears to be quite a trek.

You want a shuttle bus to go a mile? :|

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 09 Jul 2019 21:46

Some people don't like a walk I guess - although those people aren't usually the ones taking the train TBF.

Wallsy

by Wallsy » 09 Jul 2019 23:03

Seriously, we’re talking about a mile or so. We all walk that and more for some away games when we park up or get a train.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 09 Jul 2019 23:52

Snowflake Royal
The Cube On existing paths, and assuming a sensible route near the station, it should be a little less than a mile.

windermereROYAL Unless there are shuttle buses provided its hard to see too many fans using it, appears to be quite a trek.

You want a shuttle bus to go a mile? :|

Actually post did have the word `appear` in it, at first glance it seems like a long way, but as you quoted The Cube I may be wrong. a mile at a sensible pace can be done in 15-20 minutes.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 10 Jul 2019 08:59

If I'm honest with you windermere - it's not the distance to the station I'm worried about. It's the fact that it'll probably be an infrequent service (maybe two four-coach trains an hour?) that won't be able to cope with the demand - several thousand supporters appearing at the same time.

In this regard a short walk may actually help - put off the people who baulk at walking a mile - let them carry on with the bus or their private cars.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 13 Jul 2019 20:23

Green If I'm honest with you windermere - it's not the distance to the station I'm worried about. It's the fact that it'll probably be an infrequent service (maybe two four-coach trains an hour?) that won't be able to cope with the demand - several thousand supporters appearing at the same time.

In this regard a short walk may actually help - put off the people who baulk at walking a mile - let them carry on with the bus or their private cars.

Yeah can't see it being that useful for footy tbf.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jul 2019 21:04

John Madejski's Wallet
Green If I'm honest with you windermere - it's not the distance to the station I'm worried about. It's the fact that it'll probably be an infrequent service (maybe two four-coach trains an hour?) that won't be able to cope with the demand - several thousand supporters appearing at the same time.

Yeah can't see it being that useful for footy tbf.

Depending on how the timetables line up, it could be pretty useful for me. If they don't line up well I'll probably still be better off just walking from and to Reading station.

One87One

by One87One » 14 Jul 2019 12:37

I don’t get the fuss over the 1 mile walk. That’s what, 15 minutes? That’s nothing. I’m confident the service will be very popular, maybe too popular and we’ll soon be banging on about needing more trains for match days.

805 posts