How can we make a good match day buzz at the Mad stad?

Harry Carry

How can we make a good match day buzz at the Mad stad?

by Harry Carry » 06 Jan 2009 13:41

When visiting other grounds I often notice a big match day buzz about the place, but not so with Reading. Now I'm not singling Reading out here as there are a lot of clubs in the same boat.

For instance - matchday at The Emirates, Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, West Ham etc......there are a lot of street sellers, burger and food kiosks all over the place, plenty of boozers etc. This just isn't the case with Reading. Apart from the council granting permission for more pubs etc to be built around the stadium, what else can be done to improve it?

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: How can we make a good match day buzz at the Mad stad?

by weybridgewanderer » 06 Jan 2009 13:53

Harry Carry When visiting other grounds I often notice a big match day buzz about the place, but not so with Reading. Now I'm not singling Reading out here as there are a lot of clubs in the same boat.

For instance - matchday at The Emirates, Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, West Ham etc......there are a lot of street sellers, burger and food kiosks all over the place, plenty of boozers etc. This just isn't the case with Reading. Apart from the council granting permission for more pubs etc to be built around the stadium, what else can be done to improve it?

maybe we could all start selling tat around the ground?

i suspect the reason they have more burger vans is that they have bigger crowds?

Do you really believe more burger vans and street sellers would generate more of a buzz? Is this because there is more to do outside the ground so people hang about outside longer?

I suspect most of those clubs are looking at how they can get fans spending money inside the ground increasing their profitability rather than spending it with 3rd party companies outside the ground.
Last edited by weybridgewanderer on 06 Jan 2009 14:34, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Irascible

by Mr Irascible » 06 Jan 2009 14:03

Where do all those enamel badges get designed and made...and who the hell buys scarves with two club names on them...and where would you wear some of the hats I have seen sold?

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 06 Jan 2009 15:54

Non-stop Morrissey should do it.

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 06 Jan 2009 16:00

Vision Non-stop Morrissey should do it.

would be better than the pred1cktable sh1te the DJ in the ground plays..........Let me entertain you - I mean c;mon!! Tom Hark - LOL!!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 06 Jan 2009 16:32

Release a swarm of bees in the away end.

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 06 Jan 2009 16:34

Dirk Gently Release a swarm of bees in the away end.

away end usually makes much noise, so releasing it in the home end is a b3tter idea.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 06 Jan 2009 17:24

Nothing will change the boring atmosphere around the ground.
Reason 1- The stadium is in a terrible place.
Reason 2- Reading fans are on the whole quite a boring bunch of human beings.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 06 Jan 2009 18:45

Synchronised fishing.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 06 Jan 2009 20:21

Harry Carry When visiting other grounds I often notice a big match day buzz about the place, but not so with Reading. Now I'm not singling Reading out here as there are a lot of clubs in the same boat.

I'm sorry, you what? A crowd of Henley residing, tory voting toffs in amongst National Front skinheads called Nige create a real matchday buzz don't they? Stamford Bridge is down there with the least atmospheric grounds I've ever been to!

jonboy29red

by jonboy29red » 06 Jan 2009 20:59

easy if u go to other ground they have either pre match entertainment thats worth watching either on a big screen or on the pitch they also have music and and announcers that u can hear when the teams come out they turn the music up as load as they can to get the crowd pumped up prime example being sunderland

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 06 Jan 2009 21:21

weybridgewanderer

Sell it?

Just give it away.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 06 Jan 2009 21:54

Coke.

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 06 Jan 2009 21:55

Lemonade.
:|

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 06 Jan 2009 21:58

That Friday Feeling
weybridgewanderer

Sell it?

Just give it away.

Bring it on!

yes, that's a reference

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 06 Jan 2009 22:50

Platypuss Synchronised fishing.

Is that a suggestion or a comment?

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 07 Jan 2009 14:57

handbags_harris

I'm sorry, you what? A crowd of Henley residing, tory voting toffs in amongst National Front skinheads called Nige create a real matchday buzz don't they? Stamford Bridge is down there with the least atmospheric grounds I've ever been to!

Do you want me to wheel out the survey which proves what you've said is utter bollox?

The Bridge has a much atmopshere about it than the majority of other grounds in the Country. Plenty of boozers to choose from, lots of atmosphere in and around the ground. Singing in the pubs. Top stuff. At Reading you get the Hotel, full of people in their fleeces and hiking boots talking about 'Murts' big move to Charlton.

Harry Carry

by Harry Carry » 07 Jan 2009 14:59

That Friday Feeling
weybridgewanderer

Sell it?

Just give it away.

Good gesture by Chelsea to give out free flags. How many kids would have gone home really happy with getting one? A nicer gesture than a piece of card with 'Bring it on' printed.

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:.

by .:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. » 07 Jan 2009 16:50

there are plenty of burger vans around the ground, the reason there is less of a buzz is because our ground is in the middle of a industrial estate and there is almost nothing else there.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 07 Jan 2009 16:57

.:BigDaveInTheDungeon:. there are plenty of burger vans around the ground, the reason there is less of a buzz is because our ground is in the middle of a industrial estate and there is almost nothing else there.

British Home Stores isn't enough to create a buzz for you on match day??
Some people are so ungrateful.