Saturdays Game off?

183 posts
ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

Saturdays Game off?

by ankeny » 05 Jan 2010 20:48

Looking out my Tilehurst window see a marvelous winter wonderland and judging by BBC weather on the net(Lost all sky channels)this looks like a long haul of bad weather.I think only one game has been off through bad weather could this be the second?More snow is expected tomorrow so can our heating system stand up to it.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Saturdays Game off?

by PEARCEY » 05 Jan 2010 20:50

I reckon it might be off as Newcastle fans will have a heck of a problem getting to the game. If the likes of a Manchester derby are postponed then there is a fair chance we won't be playing come Saturday

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 05 Jan 2010 21:05

Would they postpone a game because of away fans travelling ?

I doubt it.

Lots of the Geordies will be Southern based anyway.

If it's called off it will be because the immediate area around the stadium is unsafe.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 05 Jan 2010 21:14

Sun Tzu Would they postpone a game because of away fans travelling ?

I doubt it.

If it's called off it will be because the immediate area around the stadium is unsafe.

Here's a thought. If it isn't possible for the away fans to travel then it might be just as hard for the away team to do so. The game might be hard to play if the away team can't get here. Just a thought.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 05 Jan 2010 21:19

West Stand Man

I doubt it.

Here's a thought. If it isn't possible for the away fans to travel then it might be just as hard for the away team to do so. The game might be hard to play if the away team can't get here. Just a thought.

The away team have a duty to be there, and a lot of money to facilitate it. It's highly unlikely that Newcastle airport and Heathrow / Gatwick will be shut for the next 5 days so a flight down would do the job for the team but not be an option for 4000 fans.

If it is impossible for the team to escape from Geordie land then fair enough, they may have to consider postponing. But I'd suggest that there is a world of difference between a party of 30 players / officials with unlimited resources and a 2 or 3 day window being able to make it and 4000 fans in cars leaving home at 7am on Saturday having a safe journey

Nobby

by Nobby » 05 Jan 2010 21:22

Unless it gets worse on Thursday and Friday I think they should clear the roads around the car park and the main roads should be passable by then.

Would be a shame to postpone it. Website said 20,500 tickets had been sold by yesterday.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 05 Jan 2010 21:25

A foot of snow on the car park could make things tricky !

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 06 Jan 2010 01:04

Didn't they have some sort of machines to collect the snow that were used before the Swansea game?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 06 Jan 2010 03:57

Can't see it looking at the long term weather forecast.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 06 Jan 2010 07:03

The underground heating I believe is OK to handle most situations but cannot prevent ground freezing if there is a prolonged period of extreme sub-zero temperatures

A fall of snow on the pitch first will help greatly in keeping the frost out.

As has been already stated safety will be the prime concern and therefore if the immediate roads in the area are considered unsafe and/or the stands themselves also dodgy then the game will be postponed.

Could be a bag be fun for those going up to Liverpool next Wednesday....

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 06 Jan 2010 10:01

Sun Tzu
West Stand Man

I doubt it.

The away team have a duty to be there, and a lot of money to facilitate it. It's highly unlikely that Newcastle airport and Heathrow / Gatwick will be shut for the next 5 days so a flight down would do the job for the team but not be an option for 4000 fans.

If it is impossible for the team to escape from Geordie land then fair enough, they may have to consider postponing. But I'd suggest that there is a world of difference between a party of 30 players / officials with unlimited resources and a 2 or 3 day window being able to make it and 4000 fans in cars leaving home at 7am on Saturday having a safe journey
Its a game of football,not a matter of life or death,it can always be played another day,up here in Tilehurst Heights I cant get out the bloody front door,I say no chance.We are stuck here for at least three days by the look of it.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Jan 2010 11:04

ankeny Its a game of football,not a matter of life or death,it can always be played another day,up here in Tilehurst Heights I cant get out the bloody front door,I say no chance.We are stuck here for at least three days by the look of it.

Agreed, although it's a sentiment plenty of people ignore the rest of the season !

I'd say it's looking increasingly likely it will be off, but I'd stick by my original point that if it was safe here they wouldn;t call the game off because some of the Geordies would have a tough journey.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 06 Jan 2010 11:08

The official site is saying that "machines will be out on Wednesday and Thursday to clear roads and car parks" - but I'd have to say with the forecast there is it's looking more and more doubtful.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 06 Jan 2010 11:17

I can see the newcastle team struggling to get down...not to mention if it stays freezing cold then the 'elf & safety lot will call a halt to proceedings because it will be deemed to dangerous getting to and from etc...

Wouldn't surprise me if the FA issue a postponement of all fixtures on thurs...unless it starts to thaw across the whole country tonight and tomorrow...

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Jan 2010 11:22

Where's the ref coming from as well ?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 06 Jan 2010 11:29

Sun Tzu Where's the ref coming from as well ?

Essex.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 06 Jan 2010 11:32

Its deep up here because I live in the highest point in Reading (near Meadway/Dee road Junction)but some one on local radio said the other side of Reading around Caversham was not so bad.Anyone know what it is like in South Reading?

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 06 Jan 2010 11:43

I live by Foster Wheeler and the snow came up to my Mrs's knees when she went out this morning. In other words, there's loads of it, certainly the most I've ever seen.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 06 Jan 2010 11:56

RFC may clear the snow from the stadium pitch, car park etc. but will need assistance from Reading Council to grit the main roads and paths that lead to the stadium complex so that fans can walk safely to the ground from the HP Car Park, Holiday Inn and other surrounding areas.

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 06 Jan 2010 12:16

The ticket office is closed today because of the weather.

I'd say the game is looking very doubtful.

183 posts