Next Seasons Kit

638 posts
STAR Liaison
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Seasons Kit

by STAR Liaison » 09 Jul 2010 15:45

Sun Tzu
Hoop Blah
Has anyone ever heard of them holding a focus group or anything like that on the kit?

Can't recall if the kit was on the agenda but there have definitely been focus groups held by the club about various things in the past.

I think some fan input on the kit would be a good idea, but also suspect that almost whatever was chosen would get the usual mixed reaction.

I'm not sure it's worth the fuss. It's much like the kit of any season for the last few decades - it's blue and white hoops with some mucking around. I won't buy one, because i don't ever buy the kit. It won't have any impact on how we do on the pitch, and as such I'll file it under 'better things to worry about'

STAR have raised this several times but as Dirk has said unless there are only two possibilities you are likely to have more people choosing a losing design, and as is obvious from reading this thread we are not all of the same opinion so whose opinion is most important? I have read here that this is the best design and the worst design ever, so not much movement there to get them to agree is there?

havoc

by havoc » 09 Jul 2010 15:49

starliaison
Sun Tzu
Hoop Blah
Has anyone ever heard of them holding a focus group or anything like that on the kit?

Can't recall if the kit was on the agenda but there have definitely been focus groups held by the club about various things in the past.

I think some fan input on the kit would be a good idea, but also suspect that almost whatever was chosen would get the usual mixed reaction.

I'm not sure it's worth the fuss. It's much like the kit of any season for the last few decades - it's blue and white hoops with some mucking around. I won't buy one, because i don't ever buy the kit. It won't have any impact on how we do on the pitch, and as such I'll file it under 'better things to worry about'

STAR have raised this several times but as Dirk has said unless there are only two possibilities you are likely to have more people choosing a losing design, and as is obvious from reading this thread we are not all of the same opinion so whose opinion is most important? I have read here that this is the best design and the worst design ever, so not much movement there to get them to agree is there?

plz post up a link to someone saying it was the best ever

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Jul 2010 15:55

It's a product being offered for sale, not a ground-breaking piece of high art.

Get over yourselves and if you don't like it then don't buy it!

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The New Kit

by Geekins » 09 Jul 2010 15:57

I'm liking the Keepers kit now, although i would never buy it.

havoc

by havoc » 09 Jul 2010 15:57

in other words, more ducktails from STAR

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 09 Jul 2010 16:02

starliaison
Sun Tzu
Hoop Blah

Why would you need everyone to agree? Just pick the most popular one.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 09 Jul 2010 16:08

Dirk Gently It's a product being offered for sale, not a ground-breaking piece of high art.

I disagree, I think it's a provovative statement which rejects Abstract expressionism and its focus on the hermeneutic and psychological interior, in favor of design which depicts, and often celebrates material consumer culture, advertising, and iconography of the mass production age.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Jul 2010 16:12

Stuka
Dirk Gently It's a product being offered for sale, not a ground-breaking piece of high art.

I disagree, I think it's a provovative statement which rejects Abstract expressionism and its focus on the hermeneutic and psychological interior, in favor of design which depicts, and often celebrates material consumer culture, advertising, and iconography of the mass production age.

Fair enough. And if it didn't have white lines in the blue bits....?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Jul 2010 16:24

I know that's you without you're STAR hat on Dirk but it would seem a lot of fans do take an interest, even a pride perhaps, in the clubs kit. They certainly do when they buy one, which at the end of the day is in the clubs best interests.

Some fans, and STAR members, will probably buy this despite not liking it very much because they want to support the club.

More in respone to the official starliason: I thought STARs aim was to support and promote the fans opinions and needs with the club. It sounds like quite a defeatest attitude you have on this when plausable suggestions on a better involvement have been put forward in this thread.

I'd also suggest that more people have been disappointed with the design than those who've said it's great (vocal dissenters effect aside that is). You're never going to please everyone of course, but most companies spend a considerable amount of time and effort trying to understand their customers wants and needs for product development. Seems a shame the club don't do the same on this one really.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 09 Jul 2010 16:25

Dirk Gently
Stuka

Fair enough. And if it didn't have white lines in the blue bits....?

What I think we'd both advocate is pure abstraction and universality by a reduction to the essentials of form and colour; we'd simplify visual compositions to horizontal directions, and use only basic colours of royal blue and white.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Jul 2010 16:52

Hoop Blah

I know that's you without you're STAR hat on Dirk but it would seem a lot of fans do take an interest, even a pride perhaps, in the clubs kit. They certainly do when they buy one, which at the end of the day is in the clubs best interests.

Some fans, and STAR members, will probably buy this despite not liking it very much because they want to support the club.

More in respone to the official starliason: I thought STARs aim was to support and promote the fans opinions and needs with the club. It sounds like quite a defeatest attitude you have on this when plausable suggestions on a better involvement have been put forward in this thread.

I'd also suggest that more people have been disappointed with the design than those who've said it's great (vocal dissenters effect aside that is). You're never going to please everyone of course, but most companies spend a considerable amount of time and effort trying to understand their customers wants and needs for product development. Seems a shame the club don't do the same on this one really.

Maybe, but we seem to have this same conversation every year - because individual views are so diverse I don't think that there's any kit which would would ever satisfy the majority of people. It's also a fact of life that the majority of people who are Ok with the kit design (or who even like it!) keep quiet, and there's a few people who make a big stink about how terrible it is. Personally, I think that many of them would kick up the same stink every year, just because they can - every year's kit design seems to be the "worst.kit.ever".....

As mentioned, it's unlikely that the club will do polls or consultation for the reasons given that there will always be more people voing against a kit than for it .... and never forget that "The Bell End" at City of Manchester Stadium was down to a supporter consultation exercise which got hi-jacked.

So I'm pretty pragmatic about it really. At the end of the day it's a shirt design, and it's virtually impossible to get one that everyone will like - no-one is forced to buy it, and there are plenty of ways of supporting the team without having to pay money buying a shirt.

Like many others, I supported us when we wore the light blue "Argentina" shirt in the early 80s - we weren't any less Reading FC or any less well supported then - in fact, you couldn't really buy replica shirts then. It's a shirt, not part of our heritage or culture - and we'd still support the team if they played in pink with sky blue polka-dots!

Yes, the club might sell more shirts if they do some kind of consultation, but I know that they're limited in the designs available and are also not a big enough market to exert much leverage on the maufacturers to change that. But that's a commercial decision for them, trying to match better the "wants" of their customers, not the "needs" of their customers.

So I'm sorry, as a "fans' rights" issue this isn't on my personal radar - there are much more important battles in the world of football to fight than this one.

The above is my personal view - from what i know about how STAR works, I'd imagine that if enough STAR members were to suggest to STAR why this is such an important issue - together with convincing arguments that could be put to the club - then this would be taken forward.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Jul 2010 16:59

Dirk Gently
Hoop Blah
Alan Partridge I raised this point with them a few seasons ago and their view was 'it's too easy to get hijacked' for use of a better term. That other fans could find it hilarious to vote on the worst looking one, which from the look of the last few years has happened anyway.

A fair few clubs do it, then you contact the club via email to decide the favourite. As long as it's not just a tickbox on the website, but email with member numbers and all that jazz, it's really a lot of pointless effort for any wannabe comedians to do to rig the vote.

They could easily do it with a postal vote card to member card holders, or by emai for those that they've got email addresses for. I wouldn't expect them to go 100% with the response, but it might be an idea to do some consultation on it.

The problem is that if they put 4 kits up to the vote and they got something like 20%, 20% 20% & 40%, of the votes each, the winning one is the one that 60% of the voters didn't want, so the whole process loses credibility. It's only worth doing if one kit gets over 50%, which is only really likely if you have only two selections - which is hardly real choice.

Can anyone see any parallells here with our current elctoral system ;-)

So I take it you will be voting for PR?!

AV could be used to select the shirt too!

Dirk Gently Like many others, I supported us when we wore the light blue "Argentina" shirt in the early 80s - we weren't any less Reading FC or any less well supported then - in fact, you couldn't really buy replica shirts then.

You mean the one with Radio 210 on it?

I've got one of those shirts, which I bought back then as a replica.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 09 Jul 2010 17:07, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 09 Jul 2010 16:59

Dirk said

It's a shirt, not part of our heritage or culture - and we'd still support the team if they played in pink with sky blue polka-dots!

Not sure that's quite true is it Dirk ?
Our colours are absolutley part of our heritage / culture.

As such I don;t really have any problem with the kits over the last 20 years as they are all blue / white hoops of some form.

I do think we'd get a massive consensus in favour of a nice classic shirt with a nice Royal Blue and white set of hoops slightly narrower than recent times. We'd argue over collars, shorts etc but simplicity for me is key.

Perhaps (big perhaps) those with strong views might take time to contact the club and make suggestions about what they would like to see. It would have more effect than the usual HNA bitching.

Additionally perhaps some enterprising person could get a few thousand classic blue and white hooped shirts made and sell them independently. Or perhaps TOFFS will sell more....

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 09 Jul 2010 17:01

Barry the bird boggler The kit revealed today is a vast improvement of the dreadful cr*p we've had in the last two seasons.
I'm begining to think we're all looking at different kits.

Sounds like a marmite kit which is unfortunate for the club as they should be making one that has widespread appeal to capture the most sales.

It has been years since we had a proper normal hooped kit (no fancy gold, red or stupid white bib) with a colar - so long in fact that it would be a unique selling point to have one.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 09 Jul 2010 17:12

For once I think Sun Tzu and I basically agree here.

Dirk/STAR, how would my suggestion of canvassing member card holders via a postal/email survey on elements of kit design get hijacked by 'Bell End' jokers looking to disrupt the vote?

Responses may be lowish (although I bet it would top industry averages if implemented anywhere near well) but giving the fans a voice in this day and age would seem sensible and rewarding for the club.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Jul 2010 17:15

Sun Tzu
Dirk Gently It's a shirt, not part of our heritage or culture - and we'd still support the team if they played in pink with sky blue polka-dots!

Not sure that's quite true is it Dirk ?
Our colours are absolutley part of our heritage / culture.

As such I don;t really have any problem with the kits over the last 20 years as they are all blue / white hoops of some form.

Were we any less Reading FC in that Argentine shirt? Shirts and the like become part of our afterwards, not before.

But, as you say, it's fundamentally what most people would consider "our" colours - it's only the details and trim that differ. And I contend that there are so many variations of opinion that there's no combination of details and trim that would keep the majority happy.

So my view is that if this commercial product, being offered for sale, doesn't match the tastes of enough of the target market they will exercise their rights as consumers and not purchase it - but that's a commercial issue, not a supporters' rights issue.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 09 Jul 2010 17:20

Hoop Blah For once I think Sun Tzu and I basically agree here.

Dirk/STAR, how would my suggestion of canvassing member card holders via a postal/email survey on elements of kit design get hijacked by 'Bell End' jokers looking to disrupt the vote?

Responses may be lowish (although I bet it would top industry averages if implemented anywhere near well) but giving the fans a voice in this day and age would seem sensible and rewarding for the club.

I can only answer for me, not STAR .....
It wouldn't get hi-jacked if properly secured, but that would require a more involved and secure process, which would be more complec and expensive process. Do you really think that the money invested by the club would increase sales enough to cost-justify that? And how do you know that any focus group would be representative enough to make a difference?

Personally, I suspect that whatever design is produced will produce the same "worst.shirt.ever" response on here, even if supporters have been involved in selecting the final design.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 09 Jul 2010 17:22

Hoop Blah For once I think Sun Tzu and I basically agree here.

Obvious way to hijack it (assuming low response) would be by all those non RFC fans who have member cards voting...

Better limit it to STH perhaps (ie real fans)

They could also run the poll, fake the results and go with the kit they were going to anyway, but make us think we'd voted it in. Not that any other elections ever work on that basis !!

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 09 Jul 2010 17:25

paultheroyal
SLAMMED Ladies and Gentleman, I officially announce the unveiling of the Reading FC 2010/2011 Home shirt

LOL

My shirt > The actual shirt.

loyalroyaldaz

by loyalroyaldaz » 09 Jul 2010 17:30

As someone who doesnt have a problem with new kits and i usually buy them, this new home shirt is crap, it looks cheap, nasty and unfinished.
I cant imagine the group of people who designed and approved it. Who in their right minds would have sat there and thought " yes, thats the one" !!!!
Prepare for some serious piss taking by oppo fans this season.

Away kit is nice looking but agreed it would be better if the stripe was blue.

638 posts