England - the future....

3567 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: England - the future....

by Old Man Andrews » 16 Oct 2019 07:45

Player, referee and FA both said it was accidental, dare say they were all closer than you.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 16 Oct 2019 10:54

It's weird that people still hold such a grudge about this.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Oct 2019 11:49

Hoop Blah The full backs...I'm pretty sure TAA and Chillwell are Southgates preferred options but we've got two games in 4 days and he presumably asks them to do quite a shift in either the 4-2-3-1 we started with last night or the 4-3-3 we've favoured since the WC. He must be wary of their workload and so, like the last set of games, is playing 2 in on game and 2 in the other. I don't think I agree with that, but when we've got the options we have I can see why he feels the need to.

It's interesting that TAA didn't get a game on Monday night. I thought he would be coming in for Trippier as part of that rotation I mentioned before, but unless there was some injury or fitness concern it looks like he was left out in favour of Trippier.

That would be odd to me.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Oct 2019 11:54

Point might have been made before, but this might become something we see a lot of - TAA, for all his ability, is like Liam Neeson in Taken, he has a 'particular set of skills' that meet Liverpool's way of playing perfectly, but are maybe less suited to an England team that doesn't really do crosses and overlaps, playing more through the middle and in and out of the channel. Trippier is also a better defender than TAA.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Oct 2019 11:54

Point might have been made before, but this might become something we see a lot of - TAA, for all his ability, is like Liam Neeson in Taken, he has a 'particular set of skills' that meet Liverpool's way of playing perfectly, but are maybe less suited to an England team that doesn't really do crosses and overlaps, playing more through the middle and in and out of the channel. Trippier is also a better defender than TAA.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 17 Oct 2019 14:51

Sanguine Point might have been made before, but this might become something we see a lot of - TAA, for all his ability, is like Liam Neeson in Taken, he has a 'particular set of skills' that meet Liverpool's way of playing perfectly, but are maybe less suited to an England team that doesn't really do crosses and overlaps, playing more through the middle and in and out of the channel. Trippier is also a better defender than TAA.

rem asking you how do Liverpool break down park the bus teams...watched TAA whip in a couple of crosses and was like 'ah right' (obvs along with everything else at your disposal).

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 17 Oct 2019 15:23

BR0B0T
Sanguine Point might have been made before, but this might become something we see a lot of - TAA, for all his ability, is like Liam Neeson in Taken, he has a 'particular set of skills' that meet Liverpool's way of playing perfectly, but are maybe less suited to an England team that doesn't really do crosses and overlaps, playing more through the middle and in and out of the channel. Trippier is also a better defender than TAA.

rem asking you how do Liverpool break down park the bus teams...watched TAA whip in a couple of crosses and was like 'ah right' (obvs along with everything else at your disposal).

With Pogba and De Gea likely missing at the weekend, everything is building up to a shock United win - probably without a bus in sight.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 17 Oct 2019 16:07

Sanguine
BR0B0T

With Pogba and De Gea likely missing at the weekend, everything is building up to a shock United win - probably without a bus in sight.

'Derby' games...form goes out of the window. We didn't always beat you in the 90's and 00's even though we were mostly better. You don't always go to Goodison and win (a lot of draws) even though you are clearly better than them

United are currently dogshit but if the players don't scrap and shithouse for everything in this game they can fook off

as a biased Utd fan joint 11 (everyone fit) would be

-----------------De Gea------------------
AWB------VVD-------Mags--------AR
---------------- Fabinho----------------
------Winjalden------Pogba---------
Salah--------Bobby------------Mane

AWB/TAA - similar to your own comment, just depends if you want FB's to attack or defend. The system as a whole, based on the front three would prolly take TAA but individually would go for AWB

Front three...no argument! Martial gets in if Bobby is not playing well. James if Mane is injured

Pogba gets in, you can then choose whichever Liverpool midfielder you want for remaining positions...MF subs are all LFC

De Gea/Alisson: not much in it but Dave gets the nod in nets

VVD >>>>>>Maguire >>> Gomez/Tuanzabe/Bailey/Lindelof/Matip>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jones/Lovren

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 17 Oct 2019 16:18

Danny Mills is a fooking tw@t...even in 1999 I'm not sure we'd clean sweep it.

Gerrard too young at 19 to force his way in ahead of Keane or Scholes

Owen/Fowler would both be in with a shout but Yorke & Cole partnership better*

the rest can fook off though, you finished 7th 25 points behind us

you got a 2-2 draw against us at Anfield and should have knocked us out of the cup

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Nov 2019 01:21

I think Grealish can find himself a tad unlucky not to be in the squad, he’s had a pretty good season so far

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 08 Nov 2019 08:07

URZZZZ I think Grealish can find himself a tad unlucky not to be in the squad, he’s had a pretty good season so far

I can see where you're coming from, but as Southgate said, he's competing against some very good players for a place in the squad.

I think Stones and Gomez are probably a bit fortunate to be in there, but they're at the other end of the scale where the current competition for places at centre back is a bit weak.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Nov 2019 08:21

URZZZZ I think Grealish can find himself a tad unlucky not to be in the squad, he’s had a pretty good season so far

He isn't an international player, certainly not the right sort for England anyway. Should have stuck with Ireland, he'd be playing all the time.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Nov 2019 08:38

Hoop Blah

I can see where you're coming from, but as Southgate said, he's competing against some very good players for a place in the squad.

I think Stones and Gomez are probably a bit fortunate to be in there, but they're at the other end of the scale where the current competition for places at centre back is a bit weak.

Is this the last round of qualifiers or is there one more after this? If there is one more then I would expect to see him included.

Agreed about CB - we don't really have too much depth there.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Nov 2019 10:39

Old Man Andrews

He isn't an international player, certainly not the right sort for England anyway. Should have stuck with Ireland, he'd be playing all the time.

I’m not sure. I think he’s a better player than Barkley and he seems to get in each time. Although surely Maddison will be ahead of both of those

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 11 Nov 2019 10:41

Hendo
Hoop Blah

Is this the last round of qualifiers or is there one more after this? If there is one more then I would expect to see him included.

Agreed about CB - we don't really have too much depth there.

I’m not entirely sure but there’s only one more international break this season and they’ve still got to fit in the playoff games somewhere so I guess this is the last round of qualifying fixtures and then March will be the playoff games (I suppose we’ll have a couple of friendlies then)

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Nov 2019 05:59

It seems Sterling has gone off on one and grabbed Gomez by the throat in a confrontation in the canteen as a spill over from their on-pitch tussle on Sunday.

Sterling has been dropped for the next game as a result.

Just when the squad was seemingly quite settled with a good atmosphere!

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Nov 2019 11:36

Hoop Blah It seems Sterling has gone off on one and grabbed Gomez by the throat in a confrontation in the canteen as a spill over from their on-pitch tussle on Sunday.

Indeed. The continued booing of Sterling at Liverpool is unsavoury and pathetic, and I think this, and his reactions on the pitch on Sunday, show how it is affecting him.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 12 Nov 2019 12:08

Hoop Blah It seems Sterling has gone off on one and grabbed Gomez by the throat in a confrontation in the canteen as a spill over from their on-pitch tussle on Sunday.

Talk of him being a role model and future England captain a few months ago may have been a bit premature.
Good on Southgate showing that no single player is bigger or better than the team although maybe the fact that the next game is only against Montenegro made his decision easier.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 12 Nov 2019 16:51

Victor Meldrew

Talk of him being a role model and future England captain a few months ago may have been a bit premature.
Good on Southgate showing that no single player is bigger or better than the team although maybe the fact that the next game is only against Montenegro made his decision easier.

All this has proved is Southgate's complete incompetence and lack of knowledge of how to handle big name players. We should strike while the iron is hot now Warnock is available.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Nov 2019 08:22

Sterling is our best player, he should be playing regardless of what he does (within reason).

He wants to win, Gomez wants to win. Southgate should have turned this into a positive.

3567 posts