England - the future....

3565 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by Franchise FC » 13 Jun 2021 16:34

We’ll need to play better than that against the big boys, but it’s the first game and we should assume we’ll do exactly that as we settle into the tournament.

All in all, very encouraging

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Jun 2021 16:36

Royal Rother This is pathetic.

The guy who has been MOTM in his last 6 appearances is dropped for a guy woefully out of form.

Just what I predicted but still makes no sense.

Phillips and Mings aren’t good enough for starting games in tournament football.

I despair.

Let’s see how I feel at 4pm. Maybe I’ve got it all wrong and Southgate will prove me the know-nothing. 8)

Croatia 3-1.

I think he's proved you wrong mate

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Jun 2021 16:42

I actually feel quite heartened by that. In the world cup, against Croatia, Belgium and even Colombia in patches, our midfield got overwhelmed. Happened in the Nations League too.

That never looked like happening with Rice, Phillips and Mount in the middle today, against a very good Croatia midfield 3. Going for 4 at the back was bold by Southgate without Maguire, but also essential to allow the midfield 3.

The play wasn't exciting all the time, but tournaments are rarely won that way. We had balance and organisation, and Croatia never looked remotely threatening.

There will be tougher challenges, and the pairing of Stones and Mings against top opposition does concern me. But Croatia are not mugs and it felt like we were in control for the vast majority of the game.

I expect we'll see more of Grealish against Scotland and the Czech Republic, who are more likely to sit back and need unpicking.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 13 Jun 2021 16:54

Southgate got it right today, glad to be proven wrong.
Croatia offered nothing though, looked like a team of old men well past their prime. Modric a shell of his former self.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 13 Jun 2021 17:32

Royal Rother Satisfactory, professional, uninspiring.

Clean sheet, Mings and Phillips big (surprising) pluses.

Sterling was ok, which was also a plus, but I’m not having the big love-in.

On we go.

:lol: Grudging semi admission.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Jun 2021 17:33

Snowflake Royal

On we go.

:lol: Grudging semi admission.

Very grudging

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Jun 2021 17:47

bcubed
Royal Rother This is pathetic.

The guy who has been MOTM in his last 6 appearances is dropped for a guy woefully out of form.

Just what I predicted but still makes no sense.

Phillips and Mings aren’t good enough for starting games in tournament football.

I despair.

Let’s see how I feel at 4pm. Maybe I’ve got it all wrong and Southgate will prove me the know-nothing. 8)

Croatia 3-1.

I think he's proved you wrong mate

And that’s good. :lol:

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 13 Jun 2021 17:54

On we go.

Fair assessment. Great run for the first goal......the other chance maybe sitting next to Liam Moore's penalty orbiting the moon..

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 14 Jun 2021 10:03

Pretty well full marks for Southgate for the tactics and management of that game; ok, Croatia of 2021 are not the Croatia of 2018 (thank God Mandzuka wasn't playing) but they are no mugs and lie 14th in the current World rankings (by comparison, Scotland are 44th).

Having slagged off Mings a week or so ago, I have to say that he coped really well yesterday, looked solid and didn't look out of place in that team. He also spoke really well afterwards went interviewed.

The same could be said for Phillips; he and Rice were immense in central midfield and he looked comfortable in the free role he was given.

Sterling gets a hell of a lot of unfair criticism IMHO; he was a constant threat against Croatia and rarely lets his country down.

The main weak spot for me was Walker at right back; all of Scotland's threat will come down that flank and I will be extremely surprised if Reece James isn't given the shirt for that game.

The other weak spot is Kane; he looked well off the pace and dropped far too deep to collect the ball. I thought he should have been subbed with 20 mins to go rather than 8.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 14 Jun 2021 10:57

NathStPaul Modric a shell of his former self.

He's having to carry the team a bit more than in the past. Would also give Southgate a bit of credit, playing Phillips that bit further forward put a player with a lot of energy into the space Modric likes get the ball and dictate play.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 14 Jun 2021 11:26

6ft Kerplunk
NathStPaul Modric a shell of his former self.

He's having to carry the team a bit more than in the past. Would also give Southgate a bit of credit, playing Phillips that bit further forward put a player with a lot of energy into the space Modric likes get the ball and dictate play.

3 years for a player like Modric or Perisic is a lot to change.

Although I always remember Andrea Pirlo absolutely ripping us to complete shreds in 2016 at 37 years old, not really moving around out the middle of the pitch too much

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 14 Jun 2021 11:35

Without looking like world beaters, we played fairly well and did the job - and that’s all you can do (especially on an opening game in those temperatures)

The main three questioned in the team weren’t far off the standouts, Mings, Phillips and Sterling all having good games. Whilst Grealish IMO did deserve to start, you can’t argue that pace does hurt the opposition and perhaps a player of Sterling’s ilk creates a different dimension to the three of Foden, Mount and Grealish who are all fairly similar

Kane was fairly quiet, and Walker lost possession too often for my liking (aside from the goal obviously)but I believe these two (and Trippier) were the only ones who played with Eriksen so I’m sure they had more pressing issues on their mind. Speaking of Trippier, think I’d prefer a left footed player there still, cut in a lot although did understand Southgate’s logic of playing someone more experienced next to Mings who was shaky in the friendlies

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 14 Jun 2021 11:37

Mr Angry Pretty well full marks for Southgate for the tactics and management of that game; ok, Croatia of 2021 are not the Croatia of 2018 (thank God Mandzuka wasn't playing) but they are no mugs and lie 14th in the current World rankings (by comparison, Scotland are 44th).

Having slagged off Mings a week or so ago, I have to say that he coped really well yesterday, looked solid and didn't look out of place in that team. He also spoke really well afterwards went interviewed.

The same could be said for Phillips; he and Rice were immense in central midfield and he looked comfortable in the free role he was given.

Sterling gets a hell of a lot of unfair criticism IMHO; he was a constant threat against Croatia and rarely lets his country down.

The main weak spot for me was Walker at right back; all of Scotland's threat will come down that flank and I will be extremely surprised if Reece James isn't given the shirt for that game.

The other weak spot is Kane; he looked well off the pace and dropped far too deep to collect the ball. I thought he should have been subbed with 20 mins to go rather than 8.

I'd drop Walker too. Against Scotland, I'd pick Chilwell or Shaw on the left to offer more attacking width, so the obvious solution is to move Trippier to the right where he's had an excellent time for Athletico. Other than that, no changes. I can understand an argument for Grealish against a team expected to sit deep and pack out their defence, but the midfield 3 all deserve to keep their places after yesterday. I expect Grealish will get a chance if we're at 0-0 after an hour or so.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jun 2021 12:56

I think Sterling offers a nice alternative that gives us a range of threat, so I'd definitely stick with him. Defend deep? Mount and Foden can pile on the pressure, high line - Sterling will run you ragged.

Grealish will have to settle for deputising for Mount / Foden I think. Don't want too many tricksy dribblers in the team.

Walker was a weak link, but not especially bad. Would probably prefer an actual LB @ LB so maybe a little shuffle there. Still prefer someone other Mings... he's just too volatile IMO. Still expect him to pick up a red or give away a penalty at some point in the tournament if he's playing regularly.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 14 Jun 2021 13:28

Snowflake Royal I think Sterling offers a nice alternative that gives us a range of threat, so I'd definitely stick with him. Defend deep? Mount and Foden can pile on the pressure, high line - Sterling will run you ragged.

Grealish will have to settle for deputising for Mount / Foden I think. Don't want too many tricksy dribblers in the team.

Walker was a weak link, but not especially bad. Would probably prefer an actual LB @ LB so maybe a little shuffle there. Still prefer someone other Mings... he's just too volatile IMO. Still expect him to pick up a red or give away a penalty at some point in the tournament if he's playing regularly.

That wouldn't surprise me either, but credit where credit is due, he played well yesterday and did all that was asked of him.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 14 Jun 2021 13:30

Here is a hypothetical question; if we get through to the quarter finals without conceding a goal, and then Maguire is declared fit - do you change the side to accomodate him?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Jun 2021 14:04

Mr Angry Here is a hypothetical question; if we get through to the quarter finals without conceding a goal, and then Maguire is declared fit - do you change the side to accomodate him?

Yes because your gonna have to raise your game substantially. Mings and Stones if tested by a true world class frontline such as France or Belgium will get torn a new one.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jun 2021 14:12

Mr Angry
Snowflake Royal I think Sterling offers a nice alternative that gives us a range of threat, so I'd definitely stick with him. Defend deep? Mount and Foden can pile on the pressure, high line - Sterling will run you ragged.

That wouldn't surprise me either, but credit where credit is due, he played well yesterday and did all that was asked of him.

Don't think he was really tested, but certainly did nothing wrong.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 14 Jun 2021 14:14

Mr Angry Here is a hypothetical question; if we get through to the quarter finals without conceding a goal, and then Maguire is declared fit - do you change the side to accomodate him?

Depends. How fit is fit, how ready is to play is fit, and how well have the others been playing?

Fit isn't a lot of good if he's going to be rusty and Mings has been in the form of his life.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 14 Jun 2021 14:15

Surely there is room to rotate the squad with like for like replacement and keep everybody fresh

Foden/Grealish
The Fullbacks
Sterling/Rashford/Sancho

Nothing too mental just 2/3 starters and sub players if they can

England always seem to fall off a cliff physically in the latter stages of summer tournaments

3565 posts