England - the future....

3567 posts
ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: England - the future....

by ZacNaloen » 06 Jun 2013 17:33

I should probably have qualified with "one of"

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 08 Jun 2013 14:07

floyd__streete England U21 lost tonight in their European Championship opener. No surprise with that useless prat Pearce in charge. Relegated as a manager with Forest, abject failure (and sacked) at Manchester City. And he gets a top job.....because he pumped his fist so hard when he scored a penalty against Germany in Euro 96? Is this man fit to coach our best young players, I think not.

Jobs for the boys. Sums up our national game really. And why we win and will continue to win nothing at international level for a long time to come.

This. How the FA can put England's future into the hands of a man that picked only 10 players to start a game until his assistant pointed out he was missing the GK I will never know.

Love Pearce's passion, but he is useless and the players will not develop under him. I reckon Hoddle would be a much better bet.

Eaststandman

by Eaststandman » 08 Jun 2013 14:23

Big Ern
floyd__streete England U21 lost tonight in their European Championship opener. No surprise with that useless prat Pearce in charge. Relegated as a manager with Forest, abject failure (and sacked) at Manchester City. And he gets a top job.....because he pumped his fist so hard when he scored a penalty against Germany in Euro 96? Is this man fit to coach our best young players, I think not.

Jobs for the boys. Sums up our national game really. And why we win and will continue to win nothing at international level for a long time to come.

This. How the FA can put England's future into the hands of a man that picked only 10 players to start a game until his assistant pointed out he was missing the GK I will never know.

Love Pearce's passion, but he is useless and the players will not develop under him. I reckon Hoddle would be a much better bet.

On tv this morning Trevor Brooking all but said that he will be replaced in line with the grand England future plan and that he is aware that this was always the case! :shock:

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 08 Jun 2013 18:24

Bring back Terry Venables...,

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 08 Jun 2013 19:05

Bloody awful, either those players aren't trying or Pearce hasn't a clue what he is doing.

frimmers3
Hob Nob Addict

by frimmers3 » 08 Jun 2013 19:09

when we have respective team managers schooled in the football arts current decades ago what do you expect?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 08 Jun 2013 19:21

That was distressingly awful

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 08 Jun 2013 19:24

I'm saying nothing.

I've said it all after every one of the last 73 England games I've watched at all age levels.

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 09 Jun 2013 16:26

Stats on the BBC website show that only 35 players under 21 were given game time in the Prem last season. No real surprise but not a huge pool to pick from. Also only 30% of all players are qualified for England (50%+ in germany) Got to have a bit of sympathy for England managers at both 21 and senior levels.

Kitsondinho
Hob Nob Addict
Location: at a cricket ground somewhere around the country........

by Kitsondinho » 09 Jun 2013 20:33

ayjaydee Stats on the BBC website show that only 35 players under 21 were given game time in the Prem last season. No real surprise but not a huge pool to pick from. Also only 30% of all players are qualified for England (50%+ in germany) Got to have a bit of sympathy for England managers at both 21 and senior levels.

Which is kind of the point I was making about Pearce on the previous page. I would make the same point about Roy H too. We don't have enough quality players. We don't have anywhere near enough players coming through. You can't blame the mistakes solely on SP and RH. They may not be helping, but I swear there isn't a coach in the world good enough to get our current crop of players to win a major tournament WITHOUT resorting to Greece's 2004 tactics of bus parking and luck riding!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 10 Jun 2013 00:36

While the english game continues to focus on effort and hoof ball, english football will always suffer. But the majority of people who watch the game don't want to see technical ability do they.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 10 Jun 2013 05:30

Sad fact is we are at least a decade behind the likes of Germany, Spain and Holland. We simply do not have enough qualified coaches at youth level. I ready a report that said there were more qualified youth coaches in Amsterdam than the whole of the UK. We need to school our youngsters at the earliest age possible about tactics, ball retention and even looking after their bodies with the right diets.

Until we do that, English football doesn't have a future.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 10 Jun 2013 08:32

Royal Rother I'm saying nothing.

I've said it all after every one of the last 73 England games I've watched at all age levels.

There really is a certain amount of "We said this about a decade ago" that you and a few other posters could unleash.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 10 Jun 2013 08:34

Big Ern Sad fact is we are at least a decade behind the likes of Germany, Spain and Holland. We simply do not have enough qualified coaches at youth level. I ready a report that said there were more qualified youth coaches in Amsterdam than the whole of the UK. We need to school our youngsters at the earliest age possible about tactics, ball retention and even looking after their bodies with the right diets.

Until we do that, English football doesn't have a future.

The damning stat I read, when I was doing FA coaching badges, was that Germany has 10 times as many qualified coaches at all levels. The course actually made a big deal of trying to avoid relying on kids using their physical strengths and using smaller pitches and goals, so there is an awareness that we're doing it wrong. But without people to step forward, get trained and get involved, what's the point?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 10 Jun 2013 10:23

stealthpapes

There really is a certain amount of "We said this about a decade ago" that you and a few other posters could unleash.

Come on, this conversations been had for the last 20 years at least. Since the days of POMO and Graham Taylor.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 10 Jun 2013 10:23

there is an element that nations randomly have 5/6 world class players all come through at the same time and this then gets attributed
to what ever coaching method they employ.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 10 Jun 2013 10:42

Maguire
stealthpapes

Come on, this conversations been had for the last 20 years at least. Since the days of POMO and Graham Taylor.

While I thought Taylor's problems were a mixture of tactical naivety, bad luck with injuries and retirements and mismanagement of players (as 'success' and actually quite decent football followed with the next two managers), you're right, it almost certainly does date back decades. I'd imagine similar things were said in the 1970s. The thinking behind POMO was from the 1950s.

The problem discussed here is the fundamental issue of whether the players have the technical ability to even compete.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict

by ZacNaloen » 10 Jun 2013 11:18

They beat Norway twice without conceeding in the qualifiers.

TWICE. Once on a 3G pitch.

But they couldn't cope in the tournament?

There's something more wrong than just their technical ability.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 10 Jun 2013 12:33

ayjaydee Stats on the BBC website show that only 35 players under 21 were given game time in the Prem last season. No real surprise but not a huge pool to pick from. Also only 30% of all players are qualified for England (50%+ in germany) Got to have a bit of sympathy for England managers at both 21 and senior levels.

One of the benefits of having the supposed best league in the world :roll:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Jun 2013 12:45

Maybe it does date back a while, but I don't remember Platt, Barnes, Beardsley and Gazza playing with such little flair or skill.

3567 posts