England - the future....

3566 posts
Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by Simmops » 18 Jun 2021 22:17

Kane & Sterling need to be dropped for the next game. So does 1 of either Rice or Phillips for a more creative midfielder. James was OK today, but Walker needs back in, far far more dangerous offensively.

Can't believe we only made 2 changes. We don't have the right manager
I will say however, I think Mings doesn't look out of place at all. Was concerned about his inclusion, but he's been fantastic in both games

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Jun 2021 22:21

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
NathStPaul They are a side with absolutely no pressure on them, they did the hard bit by getting there. They can play agaisnt England with nothing to lose and everything to gain. If they go 1-0 up early in the game it could be a very painful evening for us on the 18th of June.

Not far from being spot on, Clarke out schooled Southgate tonight and it was highly predictable

That was arguably the worst England performance I've seen, its up there with the Algeria 0-0 in 2010.

I do think Iceland was worse, not so much for the fact we had Kane taking set pieces that night :lol:
And we got bullied by JDB

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 18 Jun 2021 22:25

URZZZZ
NathStPaul
URZZZZ
Not far from being spot on, Clarke out schooled Southgate tonight and it was highly predictable

That was arguably the worst England performance I've seen, its up there with the Algeria 0-0 in 2010.

I do think Iceland was worse, not so much for the fact we had Kane taking set pieces that night :lol:

Yeah that was a shocker too. I think tonight was the worst I've seen us in terms of energy and intensity. Yes the Iceland game was horrific in terms of results but I can't say we didn't try. The players didn't look arsed this evening, its massively worrying.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Jun 2021 22:31

NathStPaul
URZZZZ
NathStPaul That was arguably the worst England performance I've seen, its up there with the Algeria 0-0 in 2010.

Yeah that was a shocker too. I think tonight was the worst I've seen us in terms of energy and intensity. Yes the Iceland game was horrific in terms of results but I can't say we didn't try. The players didn't look arsed this evening, its massively worrying.

Almost to the point of match fixing so we avoid a certain opponent…

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 19 Jun 2021 09:04

So it`s a boring 0-0 on Tuesday with both teams trying not to win. Sweden or Slovakia for finishing second, Germany, France or Portugal for winning the group.
But on the minus side the easier game and a potential QF would be played in Copenhagen and St Petersburg, while the harder games will be at Wembley.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 19 Jun 2021 09:40

To be the best, we have to beat the best as The Hitman Brent Hart would say. So why not play the best? Going to have to play them eventually.

Plus I think it would be better to not disrupt the squad by moving to an away game essentially against Sweden or Slovakia with no fans

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jun 2021 09:44

Is losing to the first actually good team we play in the QFs because we had an easier run in the last 16 any better than losing to the first actually good team we play in the last 16 because we got a harder draw?

We've still got to manage to beat an actually good team at least twice, probably 3 times, to win a trophy, when we've almost exclusively failed to achieve beating one in finals knockout stages over the decades.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 19 Jun 2021 11:18

Also we could in theory not even qualify in 1st or 2nd.

If we lose 2 - 0 to Czech and Croatia win by 2 goals we will be in 3rd on GD

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jun 2021 11:20

My one positive slant on last night is that the result barely matters, and tournament winners often have the odd stinker in the group stage. Portugal were dire in their group in 2016, France unconvincing in 2018. So maybe we shouldn't get carried away.

BUT
- Never seen Kane look as poor as the past 2 games
- No tempo and intensity
- Not enough experience and leadership to help us gain a foothold when up against things.

The last point is the most concerning. No team gets everything their own way at this level, and the best teams find a way of playing their way into the game and turning the tide. We're a young team who don’t seem to have that ability, and I can see the top teams getting on top of us. We are still capable of playing well, but didn't show resilience when things were going against us.

I think Henderson and Maguire should come back in if fit. Henderson would have added intensity and tempo yesterday. We need some vocal leaders on the pitch.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 19 Jun 2021 12:34

Honestly, the setup was so similar to watching United play.

The striker will be living on scraps...it's a graveyard shift.

Two in the pivot with little creativity to break the lines

Taking 2 or 3 touches and then passing sideways

Gives the opposition time to organize and get set

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 19 Jun 2021 14:33

Jadon Sancho hasn't played a since minute at the tournament yet...

He picked up 16 goals and 20 assists in 38 games last season...

:shock: :shock: :shock:

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 19 Jun 2021 15:27

Terrible selection in both games

On the Mings front......got I hate that fukker, useless champ-level thug......but he's been solid as fukk both games and not looked out of place at all, much as it pains me to say it

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Jun 2021 15:51

John Madejski's Wallet Terrible selection in both games

On the Mings front......got I hate that fukker, useless champ-level thug......but he's been solid as fukk both games and not looked out of place at all, much as it pains me to say it

Over the two games combined Mings has been England’s best player

How do I show gritted teeth ?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jun 2021 15:54

Franchise FC

I'd go Pickford, Stones or Foden over Mings for best across the two so far. Sterling and Phillips much better in the first. Shaw bit better second.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Jun 2021 16:01

Snowflake Royal
Franchise FC

I'd go Pickford, Stones or Foden over Mings for best across the two so far. Sterling and Phillips much better in the first. Shaw bit better second.

Well, we all see the games differently.
My opinion on the first game would definitely NOT include Sterling as one of the best, despite the goal.
Yes, Phillips was MoM in the first but so poor in the second and as for Shaw being better than Mings in the second ... not one that I agree with, but there you go.
Foden is possibly the most talented of those that have played but has been seriously anonymous (largely due to being played out of his club position)
Pickford is a reasonable shout and Stones may have been but for the open goal miss (just score and England probably win)

Sticking with my view that Mings just about wins out

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 19 Jun 2021 16:08

Snowflake Royal Is losing to the first actually good team we play in the QFs because we had an easier run in the last 16 any better than losing to the first actually good team we play in the last 16 because we got a harder draw?

We've still got to manage to beat an actually good team at least twice, probably 3 times, to win a trophy, when we've almost exclusively failed to achieve beating one in finals knockout stages over the decades.

Croatia were the first ‘good’ team we played 8)

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jun 2021 18:04

Tails
Snowflake Royal Is losing to the first actually good team we play in the QFs because we had an easier run in the last 16 any better than losing to the first actually good team we play in the last 16 because we got a harder draw?

Croatia were the first ‘good’ team we played 8)

Not sure about that. And it wasn't in a knockout stage.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 19 Jun 2021 21:13

John Madejski's Wallet useless champ-level thug......but he's been solid as fukk both games and not looked out of place at all

He's been up against champ-level centre forwards so far.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 19 Jun 2021 21:36

6ft Kerplunk
John Madejski's Wallet useless champ-level thug......but he's been solid as fukk both games and not looked out of place at all

He's been up against champ-level centre forwards so far.

Good point tbf

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 19 Jun 2021 21:58

who would you have chosen?

3566 posts