England - the future....

3567 posts
Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

Re: England - the future....

by Donny Ironside » 13 Nov 2021 13:25

Franchise FC
Donny Ironside
Jinx Or, alternatively, for the other players - it doesn't matter how well you play at club level or how bad the favourites play, you are not going to get a game in a match that matters? Just playing devils advocate really as the results speak for themselves at the moment

+1 to this

Maguire shouldn't be near the England team at all at the moment

Roy Keane made me laugh yesterday

Should he be isolating ? COVID ?
If not, then his performances for England certainly make him first choice. For Man Utd, not so much.
Same with Sterling (not Man Utd, obviously)

But surely it is club performances that it is based on?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Nov 2021 14:18

Franchise FC
WestYorksRoyal
Donny Ironside
+1 to this

Maguire shouldn't be near the England team at all at the moment

Roy Keane made me laugh yesterday

To an extent I can see your point. But nobody is really testing Southgate at the moment anyway. Look at Kane, Sterling and Maguire. Who has been putting in performances every week to create a strong case to replace Them? It's not like there are players putting in the level of performances demanding a chance. Bellingham in Germany, but equally I agree with Southgate not overplaying him and adding extra pressure at his age.

I would argue that Coady has been knocking on the door (specifically for England) but not enough to make a selection difference

I’m not a Sterling fan but I can see why Southgate sticks with him. There’s a world class player there somewhere, just we don’t get to see it

I don't see any other player who offers the constant running, movement and directness of Sterling. Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho have different styles and strengths. Sterling is very important in how we play and will certainly start in Qatar.

But he does give plenty of ammunition to his critics. It's basically his composure and decision making at key moments that let him down; if he could add that he would be a genuine superstar of the game.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 Nov 2021 15:00

WestYorksRoyal
Franchise FC
WestYorksRoyal To an extent I can see your point. But nobody is really testing Southgate at the moment anyway. Look at Kane, Sterling and Maguire. Who has been putting in performances every week to create a strong case to replace Them? It's not like there are players putting in the level of performances demanding a chance. Bellingham in Germany, but equally I agree with Southgate not overplaying him and adding extra pressure at his age.

I would argue that Coady has been knocking on the door (specifically for England) but not enough to make a selection difference

I’m not a Sterling fan but I can see why Southgate sticks with him. There’s a world class player there somewhere, just we don’t get to see it

I don't see any other player who offers the constant running, movement and directness of Sterling. Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho have different styles and strengths. Sterling is very important in how we play and will certainly start in Qatar.

But he does give plenty of ammunition to his critics. It's basically his composure and decision making at key moments that let him down; if he could add that he would be a genuine superstar of the game.

I would say that both Foden and Grealish offer just as much running, movement and directness as Sterling. I would say that both also have more end product. Not seen enough of Sancho to pass any comment and I would put all three of Sterling, Foden and Grealish ahead of Rashford. Apparently, Greenwood has asked not to be selected :shock:

Sterling's composure and decision making should be resolved by now. It's not like he's only played a dozen times.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 13 Nov 2021 17:52

Franchise FC
WestYorksRoyal
Franchise FC I would argue that Coady has been knocking on the door (specifically for England) but not enough to make a selection difference

I would say that both Foden and Grealish offer just as much running, movement and directness as Sterling. I would say that both also have more end product. Not seen enough of Sancho to pass any comment and I would put all three of Sterling, Foden and Grealish ahead of Rashford. Apparently, Greenwood has asked not to be selected :shock:

Sterling's composure and decision making should be resolved by now. It's not like he's only played a dozen times.

I'm sorry but suggesting that Foden offers the same movement and running in behind is simply wrong. He's a generational talent, but his a playmaker. Swap him in for Sterling and you have a bunch of players with a similar skillset and nobody stretching the game.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 Nov 2021 18:04

WestYorksRoyal
Franchise FC
WestYorksRoyal I don't see any other player who offers the constant running, movement and directness of Sterling. Rashford, Greenwood and Sancho have different styles and strengths. Sterling is very important in how we play and will certainly start in Qatar.

I'm sorry but suggesting that Foden offers the same movement and running in behind is simply wrong. He's a generational talent, but his a playmaker. Swap him in for Sterling and you have a bunch of players with a similar skillset and nobody stretching the game.

We may have to agree to disagree in this one.
You’re welcome to your opinion, as am I.
Be a very strange world if we all saw things the same

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Nov 2021 19:02

Spoilt for choice though aren’t we?

I don’t think we’ve ever had such a high number of quality players to pick from

In some ways it makes things difficult. In other eras certain players would be guaranteed to play every game. Now there are only a handful, maybe just Kane, Maguire, Sterling and Pickford who get picked every time.

I agree with WYR about Sterling. He does make errors in decision making but he creates so many great situations you can forgive him. Well some of us can!

And it was only Albania but the style of play was very much more positive than in the Euro games. Reece James looked superb and along with Henderson gave us a more direct and attacking approach.. It only served to reinforce my feeling that we let Italy off the hook in the Euros semi.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 13 Nov 2021 19:21

bcubed Spoilt for choice though aren’t we?

In some ways it makes things difficult. In other eras certain players would be guaranteed to play every game. Now there are only a handful, maybe just Kane, Maguire, Sterling and Pickford who get picked every time.

I agree with WYR about Sterling. He does make errors in decision making but he creates so many great situations you can forgive him. Well some of us can!

And it was only Albania but the style of play was very much more positive than in the Euro games. Reece James looked superb and along with Henderson gave us a more direct and attacking approach.. It only served to reinforce my feeling that we let Italy off the hook in the Euros semi.

And we should listen to someone who doesn't even know what round we played Italy in the Euros (just kidding)

We let Italy off the hook precisely because Sterling didn't do the things we've been discussing (amongst a number of other things)

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 13 Nov 2021 20:06

Franchise FC
bcubed Spoilt for choice though aren’t we?

And we should listen to someone who doesn't even know what round we played Italy in the Euros (just kidding)

We let Italy off the hook precisely because Sterling didn't do the things we've been discussing (amongst a number of other things)

And I actually went to the game!

Note to self -
Always check before pressing submit

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 14 Nov 2021 11:01

Another disappointing result. 5-0 up at half time then failing to add to that in the second half.

Now expecting a “reserve” England team for the minimalist stuffing of San Marino.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Nov 2021 10:15

I'd like to start seeing an indication of forward planning to next year. Is there a scenario where Jude Bellingham isn't a starter in Qatar? Surely not. Would be good if he starts vs. San Marino.

I'd like Southgate to make a decision on the system too. We switched to three at the back for Albania, which for one suits the attacking qualities of James and TAA. So if that's what we're doing, let's stick with it, whoever the opponent.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 15 Nov 2021 11:39

Henderson is out so can't see any reason why Bellingham doesn't start against San Marino except maybe Foden in a central role. Our midfeld options look as strong as I can remember at the moment. Just wish we had that luxury at centre back and a striker to properly push Kane for his starting place.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Nov 2021 11:56

6ft Kerplunk Henderson is out so can't see any reason why Bellingham doesn't start against San Marino except maybe Foden in a central role. Our midfeld options look as strong as I can remember at the moment. Just wish we had that luxury at centre back and a striker to properly push Kane for his starting place.

Good point regarding a striker, we could do with a new Rooney really. A wonderkid bursting on to the scene who can come into the squad and learn from Kane and the other senior players.
Did think Ivan Toney might end up getting into the squad but he just hasn't done it this season as yet.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 15 Nov 2021 13:49

NathStPaul
6ft Kerplunk Henderson is out so can't see any reason why Bellingham doesn't start against San Marino except maybe Foden in a central role. Our midfeld options look as strong as I can remember at the moment. Just wish we had that luxury at centre back and a striker to properly push Kane for his starting place.

Good point regarding a striker, we could do with a new Rooney really. A wonderkid bursting on to the scene who can come into the squad and learn from Kane and the other senior players.
Did think Ivan Toney might end up getting into the squad but he just hasn't done it this season as yet.

Is Jahmari Clarke on the radar yet?

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Nov 2021 13:51

Sutekh
NathStPaul

Is Jahmari Clarke on the radar yet?

He is very much focussed on Reading FC under 23's.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Nov 2021 20:20

As expected this game is bordering on the farcical. Would like us to get double figures.

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 15 Nov 2021 20:50

Pointless playing games like this

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 15 Nov 2021 21:55

When the fcuk will UEFA address this nonsense?, it`s beyond a joke now, let the minnows play a qualifying tournament for the right to play in the main rounds. less games for the big nations, everyone wins.

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 15 Nov 2021 21:59

windermereROYAL When the fcuk will UEFA address this nonsense?, it`s beyond a joke now, let the minnows play a qualifying tournament for the right to play in the main rounds. less games for the big nations, everyone wins.

Think the only minnows who have become somewhat half decent lately is Luxembourg. Arguably Iceland and findland years ago were "minnows" possibly but would lump them in with Maybe even mid tier team like montenegro or Armenia

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 Nov 2021 22:25

NathStPaul As expected this game is bordering on the farcical. Would like us to get double figures.

All the last two games have done are take away a weekend of actual football from us.

International breaks are shit.

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 15 Nov 2021 22:35

Harry Kane has scored 20 goals this season

But only 1 in the league :lol:

3567 posts