3565 posts
Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: England - the future....

by Loafer » 15 Jun 2022 10:39

6ft Kerplunk
Loafer
Sutekh
And is there an English manager who can replace him and do any better?

England thankfully saved all their cr@p and “can’t be arsed” performances for an utterly meaningless competition that is no more than glorified friendlies so it really doesn’t matter.

Yes there is.

Steve Cooper.

The very Welsh Steve Cooper or is there another one I've missed?

Who cares what nationality a manager is, if they get the job done

Only people that do are the daily mail readers

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 15 Jun 2022 10:42

6ft Kerplunk
Loafer Please remind me, when did Southgate manage in the Premier League before he was England boss?

Middlesbrough 2006-2009, admittedly didn't end well for him.

In football terms there is no contest at all, COOPER wins and is clearly the better.

Steve Cooper honors:

England U17 - FIFA U-17 World Cup: 2017, UEFA European Under-17 Championship runner-up: 2017

Nottingham Forest - EFL Championship play-offs: 2022

EFL Championship Manager of the Month: August 2019, January 2021, April 2022

Gareth Southgate:

England U21 - Toulon Tournament: 2016

England - UEFA European Championship runner-up: 2020, UEFA Nations League third place: 2018–19

Individual

Premier League Manager of the Month: August 2008
BBC Sports Personality of the Year Coach Award: 2018 and 2021
FWA Tribute Award: 2019

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 15 Jun 2022 11:26

Sanguine To be honest one of the things I've found most alarming in these games is Bellingham's inability to impose himself. I've been talking him up as one of Europe's next great midfielders and a nailed on starter in Qatar, but he's looked lost.

Agreed that he’s got potential to be a top player but it really does show that most managers really do know what they’re doing when it comes to managing the youth and managing their game time efficiently

Controversial but personally think it’s a reason why Rashford has turned out the way he has, thrown into the deep end too quickly after only a handful of promising displays, doesn’t get the chance to properly develop, too much pressure at a young age and ultimately a waste of potential talent

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 15 Jun 2022 11:43

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 15 Jun 2022 11:47

He was well off it last night, desperately needs a break from football.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 15 Jun 2022 12:03

Sanguine To be honest one of the things I've found most alarming in these games is Bellingham's inability to impose himself. I've been talking him up as one of Europe's next great midfielders and a nailed on starter in Qatar, but he's looked lost.

Me too

Not that we need any help but he’s made the two of us, amongst others, look a bit silly

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 15 Jun 2022 12:23

Loafer
6ft Kerplunk
Loafer Yes there is.

Steve Cooper.

The very Welsh Steve Cooper or is there another one I've missed?

Hi DD, the question from Sutekh that you conveniently edited out when quoting my response that Cooper is Welsh was specifically about if there was an English manager to replace Southgate:
Sutekh And is there an English manager who can replace him and do any better?

Stop trying to pretend you didn't think Cooper was English and making it about people not wanting a foreign manager. For what its worth I think if Cooper has a decent couple of seasons in the Premier League that he'd probably be very high up on the FA's list given that he's worked with the England younger age groups in the past. From what he's done at Swansea and Forrest he looks to be an excellent coach.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 15 Jun 2022 12:25

Franchise FC

Me too

Not that we need any help but he’s made the two of us, amongst others, look a bit silly

He's also still only 18 isn't he? This world cup maybe a bit too soon for him but he'll only be 22 when the next one comes around.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 15 Jun 2022 12:54

6ft Kerplunk
Loafer
6ft Kerplunk The very Welsh Steve Cooper or is there another one I've missed?

Hi DD, the question from Sutekh that you conveniently edited out when quoting my response that Cooper is Welsh was specifically about if there was an English manager to replace Southgate:
Sutekh And is there an English manager who can replace him and do any better?

Stop trying to pretend you didn't think Cooper was English and making it about people not wanting a foreign manager. For what its worth I think if Cooper has a decent couple of seasons in the Premier League that he'd probably be very high up on the FA's list given that he's worked with the England younger age groups in the past. From what he's done at Swansea and Forrest he looks to be an excellent coach.

I thought he was from Liverpool, but regardless I do not care where he is from he is a better BRITISH manager then Southgate

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 15 Jun 2022 13:05

Southgate is doing a great job, the kneeling in particular, nations league doesn’t matter.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Jun 2022 13:49

NathStPaul He was well off it last night, desperately needs a break from football.

Don't we all.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Jun 2022 13:54

Thinking about the dire past fortnight, I think people are overreacting a bit but equally we could be approaching the end of the Southgate era.

- Firstly, the fatigue excuse is legitimate. The PL is one of the most intense in Europe, but equally importantly a lot of our players play for clubs who get deep into continental competition. Add to that that our players had a shorter break last year due to the Euros final, and not all leagues created thr gruelling Covid restart schedule...you can't compare the impact of the season with a Hungary team loaded with players in second tier leagues and limited continental football. Against Italy, both teams were equally tired and uninspiring, and they are a much better comparison.

- Southgate has done a very good job for England overall, but his limitations cost us against Croatia and Italy in failing to respond to changes in momentum and just allowing us to sit deeper. In particular, Mancini outsmarted him last year

- Related to the above, we still seem to play with the breaks on. We have the talent to play exciting football and build up 2 or 3 goal leads in key games, but we don't seem to try. What is our identity? How do we create chances? You can easily answer that question for the best teams like Man City and Liverpool, but not England despite our talent. Admittedly internationally managers get less time on the training ground, but Southgate has had the luxury of working with fundamentally the same bunch of players for over 3 years now.

I have no time for those using the past fortnight as an excuse for rubbishing Southgate's record - have they forgotten the Capello and Hodgson years?

But I do wonder if he's reached his ceiling. Can he make the changes to turn momentum in the key games? Can he instil a playing style that gets the best out of generational talents like Foden and Alexander-Arnold? I'm not convinced, and it would be perfectly fair to make 2022 his last crack of the whip.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 15 Jun 2022 14:20

Southgate seems to be an honourable man, I think if we did have an abysmal world cup he'd walk.
We've got a lot to thank him for, the best two tournament performances for a generation and away from the pitch he's been brilliant for this group of players particularly with how he's dealt with his young players getting racially abused. Yes he may well come up short but there's only been one manager who's has won the world cup for us and he's done far better with this group of players than anyone managed with the 'golden generation' before them.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Jun 2022 14:27

I think what surprises me is the visceral hatred a lot of England fans seem to hate. Booing, social media, messages sent in to BBC and Sky Sports. Some people really can't acknowledge what he's done for English football. It may be a minority, but it's not a small minority.

I suspect it's partly driven by tribal loyalties; views on which players should be picked which is inevitably driven by who you support and who you hate.

If I worked at the FA I'd be tempted to give him another 5 year contract just to show them all that they can fcuk off.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 15 Jun 2022 19:25

WestYorksRoyal I think what surprises me is the visceral hatred a lot of England fans seem to hate. Booing, social media, messages sent in to BBC and Sky Sports. Some people really can't acknowledge what he's done for English football. It may be a minority, but it's not a small minority.

I suspect it's partly driven by tribal loyalties; views on which players should be picked which is inevitably driven by who you support and who you hate.

If I worked at the FA I'd be tempted to give him another 5 year contract just to show them all that they can fcuk off.

Because he has failed

When Reading play shit and lose, what happens on here? And on Social Media?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 15 Jun 2022 23:08

Loafer
WestYorksRoyal I think what surprises me is the visceral hatred a lot of England fans seem to hate. Booing, social media, messages sent in to BBC and Sky Sports. Some people really can't acknowledge what he's done for English football. It may be a minority, but it's not a small minority.

Because he has failed

It's about context and where the team has come from though. If we lose in the play-offs this season, has Ince failed? Clearly not; we'd be thankful just to be there. And when you look at the loss to Iceland and the circumstances in which Southgate took over, that is a perfectly fair comparison.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 16 Jun 2022 05:55

WestYorksRoyal
Loafer

Because he has failed

It's about context and where the team has come from though. If we lose in the play-offs this season, has Ince failed? Clearly not; we'd be thankful just to be there. And when you look at the loss to Iceland and the circumstances in which Southgate took over, that is a perfectly fair comparison.

I just think it's been long enough now. We won't win the world cup, I will bet my being on this site on it.

We need a new approach.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Jun 2022 08:52

Bit entitled to think that we 'should' win it. If England win it, that means France doesn't. Should France win it, with all their talent?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 16 Jun 2022 09:42

Sanguine Bit entitled to think that we 'should' win it. If England win it, that means France doesn't. Should France win it, with all their talent?

The margins at the top are too fine to say anybody "should" win. The game can go against you with one worldie, deflection, controversial decision or penalty shoot out.

What is reasonable for this England team is to get in a position where we're consistently going deep in tournaments and challenging, with clear signs that we can win. The same applies to several other countries though.

BROB0T
Hob Nob Regular

by BROB0T » 16 Jun 2022 14:14

Southgate reminds me of Ole's reign at united...reasonable results (2nd & 3rd) with very mediocre football.

Relying on individual performances etc

3565 posts