FAO Tulip

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: FAO Tulip

by Victor Meldrew » 09 Jul 2014 20:20

Zaretsky
Ouroboros Yeah, Germany have many strengths but also key weaknesses as demonstrated against Ghana and Algeria.

The question, I suppose, is whether the moving of Lahm back to the back 4 and the extra couple of games for layoff-returnees Schweinsteiger and Khedira have sufficiently improved the team. The France and Brazil games would suggest so, but would it be that much of a surprise to see the high line get exposed against Messi or Robben?

I think Van Gaal is a better tactician than Loew (not only demonstrated by the goalkeeper thing) but the German team seem to play for Loew, no matter the system, in a way I haven't seen much in other teams (Klinsmann and the US, oddly, being another example).

I think Germany would take apart Argentina. I think the Dutch would have a good chance against Germany but I have a feeling they're going to come up short against Argentina (as much as I want the Dutch to win).

Cue incredulity from all that I'm not instantly bowing down at the newly constructed altar of German international football.

It's not surprising that the Germans play well as a unit with 6 of them playing in the same club side plus a 7th, Khedira, who used to.
Not only have they played club football together but most of them have played together at international level from around age 16.
I don't necessarily buy the Van Gael great tactician love-in just because he changed keepers for the penalty shoot-out.

The one major Dutch tactic is to give the ball to their best player Robben as often as possible and hope he does something.
Otherwise most of the team are very ordinary which is the case with Argentina as well so expect a tight game tonight with IMHO (and mainly through my pocket) Argentina just shading it especially if Aguero really is fit.

double d

by double d » 09 Jul 2014 20:41

Victor Meldrew The one major Dutch tactic is to give the ball to their best player Robben as often as possible and hope he falls over or dives and wins a penalty.
Otherwise most of the team are very ordinary which is the case with Argentina as well so expect a tight game tonight with IMHO (and mainly through my pocket) Argentina just shading it especially if Aguero really is fit.

Changed for you :)

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 09 Jul 2014 22:15

Victor Meldrew It's not surprising that the Germans play well as a unit with 6 of them playing in the same club side plus a 7th, Khedira, who used to.

Stuttgart?

Zaretsky

by Zaretsky » 10 Jul 2014 09:29

Victor Meldrew
Zaretsky
I think Van Gaal is a better tactician than Loew (not only demonstrated by the goalkeeper thing)

I don't necessarily buy the Van Gael great tactician love-in just because he changed keepers for the penalty shoot-out.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 10 Jul 2014 11:45

Victor Meldrew It's not surprising that the Germans play well as a unit with 6 of them playing in the same club side plus a 7th, Khedira, who used to.

Really worked well for England, didn't it? Just the 5 starters from Liverpool...

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 10 Jul 2014 15:18

YateleyRoyal

Really worked well for England, didn't it? Just the 5 starters from Liverpool...

Bayern >>>>>>>>>> Liverpool

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 10 Jul 2014 17:31

TBM
YateleyRoyal

Germany >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>England

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 11 Jul 2014 15:34

TBM
YateleyRoyal

Whilst I agree, that isn't the point that old Vic is making, is it.