The womens world cup

195 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The womens world cup

by genome » 03 Jul 2019 15:46

The Enfield Royal71 I think it was absolutely disgraceful and a pisstake and I dont see why nobody two footed her after that

You dont see ellen white score and then pretending to be fat/racist/kill a person with a gun like an American

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest that being racist/killing people with guns is a bit less socially acceptable than drinking tea

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 03 Jul 2019 15:57

Silver Fox BTW are people genuinely upset with Alex Morgan's celebration or is it just half witted melts on social media?

All sorts of offence being taken on Twitter and by sensitive flowers such as Piers Morgan. With all the humourless posturing going on in our politics these days, have we now joined those cultures which take the slightest offence at any perceived slight of their traditions? I'd like to think that unlike a lot of these cultures, the British tradition is knowing how to take a joke. Have we lost that now and turned totally prissy? Not saying the tea-drinking was top stuff, but if we can't take that we might as well be Saudi Arabians.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Jul 2019 17:45

Silver Fox BTW are people genuinely upset with Alex Morgan's celebration or is it just half witted melts on social media?

Given DD is upset about it I'm going to guess that it's the half witted melts option.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Jul 2019 19:31

The likes of Piers Morgan have to find something to be offended by every day of their lives.

What pathetic lives these people must lead.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 06 Jul 2019 18:01

An all too familiar story and feeling. Disappointment. Deflation. Too often this happens.

So much promise and ultimately the biggest talking point has been VAR. This entire world cup has been noting but an advert for VAR and when it is the biggest talking point about it then unfortunately womens football will never be taken as seriously as it should. Maybe if we got to the final it would have been a different story. Its such a shame that there was so much promise but yet again so much misalignment and disappointment.

They gave it their all and it has raised the profile of the game but 4th place is not good enough.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Jul 2019 19:30

Yet it is exactly where the men finished in the 2018 WC.

Fourth place is our level....we are the Derby County of the world scene....chokers on the big stage.

Agree about the VAR, it has spoilt the game thus far.

Only 20k at the ground now that the ‘magic’ has gone

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 06 Jul 2019 22:18

The real truth will lie in the numbers for the womens premier league next season. Will it do the big numbers on tv and in stadiums?

Somehow I don't think it will.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Jul 2019 22:30

Back to the few hundreds no-doubt

When Reading ladies get to play at the ‘stad, expect the figure to hit the 1k

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 06 Jul 2019 22:44

They tried it with Rugby. Invested a shed load into it, flip flopped around making the womens team pro and then not and then pro again (paying a pittance per year compared to the mens and relocating to Bisham Abbey) and created the womens league.

Utter failure for the investment so far. Maybe its a long term thing who knows? Crowds and interest are not near even womens football so where is that return on investment?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Jul 2019 22:55

It’ll work eventually, I’m sure

Not the biggest fan tbh....but any football is better than no football

Apparently, the Premier League Ltd money-men, want to buy out the Womans Premier League

No-doubt for the convenience and £ for Sky

Like the national cricket...it could backfire (not so many kids playing cricket anymore on parks and street corners)

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 06 Jul 2019 23:23

I'm sure it's all part of a 10+ year plan to get more girls into football at a young age to play and try become pro so by then its the norm. The mrs 6 year old sister loves watching and playing football and is pretty clued up and good. She just joined a team as their goalkeeper.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Jul 2019 23:29

Good luck to her.

The yanks have been taking it seriously for 40 odd years

They will be World Champions yet again tomorrow.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 06 Jul 2019 23:49

Coming 4th in a world wide competition watched by millions where we had performed the best we have in a veeeeery long time, winning our first penalty shootout in God knows how long with a new manager and a young and inexperienced but exciting team>>>>>>>>>>> winning a tournament that ultimately nobody really gives a monkeys about and you are only good because nobody Gives a monkeys about that will be overshadowed by the copa america and gold cup finals on the same day and no doubt people will forget happened next week.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Jul 2019 23:56

Yeah maybe, a bit subjective....but think the yanks and the cloggies will see things a little bit differently tomorrow.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 07 Jul 2019 09:03

Ok, after all this silly waffle, time for the truth.

Despite the ultimate disappointment for England the tournament has been a huge success, illustrating the massive progress the game has made in the last few years. Skill, technique, goalkeeping, fitness, in fact, EVERYTHING has improved massively, including interest from the public, and WILL result in increased profile for the game and significantly higher attendances.

The growth in the next few years is going to be huge.

(Even ER knows all this, but clearly gets some jollies saying otherwise. He’s so edgy. :| )

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 07 Jul 2019 12:55

sandman

Given DD is upset about it I'm going to guess that it's the half witted melts option.

Second this. She's also since said it wasn't a piss take and instead a reference to a Sophie Turnerism for the hot news.

If sipping tea is worthy of outrage, calling anyone a melt must be a hanging offence.

England just had too many weak links and the US are just way beyond all else. Bronze also well below par.

And against Sweden they just didn't have the heart in their third bronze play off.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 07 Jul 2019 13:13

Royal Rother Ok, after all this silly waffle, time for the truth.

Despite the ultimate disappointment for England the tournament has been a huge success, illustrating the massive progress the game has made in the last few years. Skill, technique, goalkeeping, fitness, in fact, EVERYTHING has improved massively, including interest from the public, and WILL result in increased profile for the game and significantly higher attendances.

The growth in the next few years is going to be huge.

(Even ER knows all this, but clearly gets some jollies saying otherwise. He’s so edgy. :| )

You may well be right.
A cautionary note however-remember the London Olympics and the legacy aspect that won us the games in the first place.
I can't quote chapter and verse but ,from what I have read, little has changed in terms of youngsters taking up sport and IIRC it's not a case of more but actually less.

The good thing from the women's point of view is that the tournament was covered by National TV which led to those outstanding viewing figures and 8-00 midweek was probably a time when nothing else much was on.
Also BBC has so little big time sport to show that they hyped this tournament to a mega level.
So yes it will be interesting to see if football now takes over from netball and hockey (just as basketball has overtaken men's cricket in the West Indies) as the main winter sport for women but I do have a feeling that these heroines will be forgotten in a few weeks' time just as happened with the women's cricket team once the well publicised tournament was over and Australia started regularly beating them again.

I know you like your non-league football; do you think you will now start going to watch (and pay to watch) women's football as well?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 07 Jul 2019 13:25

I would like to see a mens team vs English ladies team in a reasonably competitive game

i.e. Billy Jean King, battle of the sexes

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 07 Jul 2019 15:32

AthleticoSpizz Yeah maybe, a bit subjective....but think the yanks and the cloggies will see things a little bit differently tomorrow.

Not an overwhelming amount of interest here really outside of the media. I haven't actually watched any of it. I don't know why but can't get up any enthusiasm for women's football.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 07 Jul 2019 16:28

That’s a little bit surprising.

The Dutch team have consistently been one of the best supported during the tournament that, coupled with the less-than-successful mens team (of recent years) and the liberal and accepting attitudes of the Dutch folk, I would have thought that it would be front page news there.

I viewi these games with a bit of stand-offish interest, and as already said......any football is better than no football. C’mon the orange!

195 posts