R16: Colombia v England

305 posts
TheSpread

Re: R16: Colombia v England

by TheSpread » 04 Jul 2018 08:40

Well, I still can't quite believe we WON a penalty shoot out.

Harry Maguire was my MOM along with Pickford for me.
I thought Henderson was pretty poor. Gave the ball away too many times and missed his penalty. Eric Dier was also poor when he came on, but credit where it's due, he scored his penalty.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 04 Jul 2018 08:47

I have become quite a fan of Harry Mags since the the start of this world cup. He doesn't always fill me with confidence at the back but he really gets stuck in and he is just about guaranteed to win headers at set pieces when we attack

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2018 08:52

TheSpread Well, I still can't quite believe we WON a penalty shoot out.

Harry Maguire was my MOM along with Pickford for me.
I thought Henderson was pretty poor. Gave the ball away too many times and missed his penalty. Eric Dier was also poor when he came on, but credit where it's due, he scored his penalty.

Cheers Geoff.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 04 Jul 2018 09:35

Obvs gr8 scenes with Dier's pen, but few thoughts..............

Current XI set-up is too one dimensional.
What has happened to Sterling ? He soooo much better than that.
Maguire is the new Terry Butcher.
We looked better when Rose came on.
Why didn't Vardy take a pen ?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2018 09:39

Zammo Obvs gr8 scenes with Dier's pen, but few thoughts..............

Thought the same thing when I didn't see Vardy. Can only put it down to his nerve, just can't have fancied one. Dier seems like a calm bloke who isn't phased by anything so probably made sense for him to take the last one.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 04 Jul 2018 09:44

I'm not sure it is really. Although we play out from the back we can do it in a variety of ways. We go direct into Kane at times. It didn't happen as much yesterday but in earlier games we've switched play with diagonals out to Tripper in particular. The ball into the right channel for a midfield runner (usually Lingard) also features. I don't think we're one dimensional as such I just think we have willing but slightly limited players compared to the top nations.

His movement is good but he's so oxf*rd timid it makes me want to scream. That said he occupies the opposition in a way that Dele Alli doesn't.

'greed.

'greed. Would like to see Rose play against Sweden not because Young has done anything wrong but I think genuine width against them will be crucial.

Southgate of all people knows the value of having 6/7 capable penalty takers. Reckon Vardy and Maguire would have been next up if needed and I'd have been happy with that.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 04 Jul 2018 09:48

When it went to penalties I couldn't watch anymore suspecting the usual defeat but :o later to find out an actual penalty shoot out success! Still can't quite believe it.

Sebastian the Red

by Sebastian the Red » 04 Jul 2018 09:49

I was really impressed by Maguire. Trippier and Pickford. I especially liked Maguire's willingness to run the ball out of defence and drive the team forward during extra time. I thought Trippier was solid as hell in tricky circumstances.

I thought the incredibly negative tactics from 70 mins to the end of normal time were our undoing - we showed absolutely no intention of going forward and just invited pressure. A very satisfying end, though, and I was buzzing for at least an hour afterwards.

#ICH

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Jul 2018 09:53

Re Vardy, I don't know what his penalty conversion record is, but on another forum saw him described as an 'old musket, great for power but not very accurate'.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2018 09:53

Sebastian the Red I thought the incredibly negative tactics from 70 mins to the end of normal time were our undoing - we showed absolutely no intention of going forward and just invited pressure. A very satisfying end, though, and I was buzzing for at least an hour afterwards.

#ICH

Agree.

We should have kept on the front foot and kept running at the Colombians. They had lost their heads at this point and every single one of their players were red cards waiting to happen so going at them would have drawn fouls and really wound them up. We let Colombia settle down and regroup which ultimately led to us dropping off and giving them space. The fella who had the shot which led to the corner had far too much space around him.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Jul 2018 09:55

Old Man Andrews

Thought the same thing when I didn't see Vardy. Can only put it down to his nerve, just can't have fancied one. Dier seems like a calm bloke who isn't phased by anything so probably made sense for him to take the last one.

Agreed re Dier's nerve, but it was ironic that the winning penalty was probably the worst of the lot, by either side.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Jul 2018 09:56

Obviously haven't seen all the angles, but this doesn't look like it was going wide to me. :shock:

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 04 Jul 2018 10:03

Sanguine Obviously haven't seen all the angles, but this doesn't look like it was going wide to me. :shock:

The slow mo video of that save shows it is one of the best save I've ever seen

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2018 10:07

Sanguine Obviously haven't seen all the angles, but this doesn't look like it was going wide to me. :shock:

Was 100% going wide but how he got to it I do not know. World class.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2018 10:07

Vardy is a big doubt for Saturday. Might explain why he didn't take a penalty.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Jul 2018 10:09

Sanguine Re Vardy, I don't know what his penalty conversion record is, but on another forum saw him described as an 'old musket, great for power but not very accurate'.

Vardy has scored 12 from 15 penalties since 2010. I was surprised he wasn't one of the 5 but from everything I've read or heard over the last few weeks we're doing a lot of preparation and analysis on penalties so would assume there was a good reason for it (maybe they've decided you need a very competent 6th taker as X% of shootouts go into sudden death?) .

Or he just didn't fancy it after a pretty average performance.

Thought we performed pretty well given the circumstances. Kane and Maguire were outstanding and won so many headers between them and kept the ball magnificently throughout the game.

We looked too defensive once Dier came on for Alli and Henderson was shunted out from being the midfield pivot (this summers tactical buzz word!) and personally I think Sterling has played pretty well throughout the tournament. He could do with a little more goal threat (as could the whole side to be fair) but he offers great options at times and is the best foil for Kane.

Really frustrated by the Colombian gamesmanship and even more so the lack of control from the ref. That almost cost us a quarter final place and I could see us losing and having another sob story over the lack of a red card when the ref failed to brandish the red card for the headbutt on Henderson.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Jul 2018 10:12

Old Man Andrews

:|

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Jul 2018 10:13

Maneki Neko
Old Man Andrews

It was going wide, it is a fact.

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Jul 2018 10:14

Hoop Blah
Sanguine Re Vardy, I don't know what his penalty conversion record is, but on another forum saw him described as an 'old musket, great for power but not very accurate'.

Vardy has scored 12 from 15 penalties since 2010. I was surprised he wasn't one of the 5 but from everything I've read or heard over the last few weeks we're doing a lot of preparation and analysis on penalties so would assume there was a good reason for it (maybe they've decided you need a very competent 6th taker as X% of shootouts go into sudden death?) .

Or he just didn't fancy it after a pretty average performance.

Thought we performed pretty well given the circumstances. Kane and Maguire were outstanding and won so many headers between them and kept the ball magnificently throughout the game.

We looked too defensive once Dier came on for Alli and Henderson was shunted out from being the midfield pivot (this summers tactical buzz word!) and personally I think Sterling has played pretty well throughout the tournament. He could do with a little more goal threat (as could the whole side to be fair) but he offers great options at times and is the best foil for Kane.

Really frustrated by the Colombian gamesmanship and even more so the lack of control from the ref. That almost cost us a quarter final place and I could see us losing and having another sob story over the lack of a red card when the ref failed to brandish the red card for the headbutt on Henderson.

old England would definitely have succumbed to that nonsense and had a sending off

indeed, Henderson nearly lost it twice as it was

Maneki Neko
Hob Nob Legend

by Maneki Neko » 04 Jul 2018 10:14

Old Man Andrews
Maneki Neko
Old Man Andrews Was 100% going wide but how he got to it I do not know. World class.

It was going wide, it is a fact.

righto!

305 posts