Nations League & Friendlies

506 posts
tulip
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Nations League & Friendlies

by tulip » 14 Jun 2022 21:57

Zip
Ascotexgunner WTF goes through our defences brain. Score late....point guaranteed....then f*ck up from the kickoff. TWICE IN A ROW.
TBF the Dutch look like a solid outfit...could do well at the WC. We on the other hand need to SORT IT OUT.

Very annoying to have happened against them twice in six days. It had been a good fightback.

Wasn't a penalty imo.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Jun 2022 22:04

genome Look at the results of both Euro finalists tonight. Football is weird.

I gave my misconceptions about Southgate last week and I stand by them but, let's face it, there is 0% chance he gets the sack at this stage. And to a certain extent I could tell the players weren't arsed tonight, it was their last game before their break in a meaningless tournament.

My concern for England would be that their confidence may be dented a bit and Southgate plays even more defensively at the World Cup and stink it out as previous England sides did between 2006 and 2014. They will get through the group, but it won't be pretty.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 14 Jun 2022 22:17

tulip
Zip
Ascotexgunner WTF goes through our defences brain. Score late....point guaranteed....then f*ck up from the kickoff. TWICE IN A ROW.
TBF the Dutch look like a solid outfit...could do well at the WC. We on the other hand need to SORT IT OUT.

Very annoying to have happened against them twice in six days. It had been a good fightback.

Wasn't a penalty imo.

Get stuffed tuliperzzzzz. He took Connor Roberts out.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 14 Jun 2022 22:21

Zip
tulip
Zip

Wasn't a penalty imo.

Get stuffed tuliperzzzzz. He took Connor Roberts out.

It was literally a forearm smash in the back of Roberts head. Good call from the ref. Looked even worse from the side angle.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 17 Jun 2022 10:59

Something on one of the other threads has reminded me of an idea I really like for the Nations League.

Since they are only glorified friendlies anyway, why not have a penalty shoot out at the end of every game ?
One point awarded to the winners of the shoot out

There’s a lot of talk that you can’t replicate the pressure, but this would seem to be a reasonable option

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Sep 2022 13:08

Franchise FC Something on one of the other threads has reminded me of an idea I really like for the Nations League.

Since they are only glorified friendlies anyway, why not have a penalty shoot out at the end of every game ?
One point awarded to the winners of the shoot out

There’s a lot of talk that you can’t replicate the pressure, but this would seem to be a reasonable option

There is way more to the Nation's League than being a "glorified friendly".
And England could find that out tonight if they lose......and are relegated to a "B" level group.
If they get relegated, they face a harder qualifying groups for major tournaments, rather than playing the top nations, they will be playing Moldova, Bosnia and the likes of Albania...real crowd pullers and hardly competitive. There is a big impact for dropping a league. I'll be gutted if we don't beat Poland and drop down on Sunday. Playing the likes of Belgium and Holland has been a big benefit in Welsh finances, and qualification.
I just don't get England fans attitude towards this competition.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Sep 2022 14:48

Son equilises for SK against Costa Rica
https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1573293918900420609

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Sep 2022 20:47

Christ alive that was bad.

When will we ever learn NOT to play guys out of position?

Not sure I can be arsed to watch the 2nd half.

I probably will though.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Sep 2022 21:44

England are relegated from UEFA Nations League A.

England will be unseeded in the draw for Euro 2024 qualifying (Oct. 9).

England are guaranteed to be drawn in a group with one of Georgia, Greece, Kazakhstan and Turkey in UEFA Nations League B

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 23 Sep 2022 22:10

I didn't think anything could be worse then the football, but Reece James haircut gave it a close run

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 23 Sep 2022 22:17

Blimey England look utterly lost as a team......Southgate looks utterly clueless when chasing a game.
Gonna get ugly for him tonight in the media.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 23 Sep 2022 22:17

Well, I did say that Southgate had taken the team as far as he could and should probably go after the Euros.

I seem to recall that view didn’t get a lot of support on here at the time. :lol:

How do we feel about it now?

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Sep 2022 00:12

Royal Rother Well, I did say that Southgate had taken the team as far as he could and should probably go after the Euros.

I seem to recall that view didn’t get a lot of support on here at the time. :lol:

I thought it during the Euros
Especially at the Final. What an opportunity missed.

He should go but I doubt it will happen. Have we ever had such a pool of talent. It's criminal not to be able to get them playing well.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 Sep 2022 07:45

Royal Rother Well, I did say that Southgate had taken the team as far as he could and should probably go after the Euros.

Southgate in being not especially much cop at this management lark shock. :shock: :roll:

Hardly a surprise to anyone is it?

Luckily for him games in this utterly meaningless competition are completely irrelevant and he should be using them to experiment with fringe players and different formations/tactics.

He’ll be gone after the forthcoming farce of failure in the Middle East and we can all move onto the next corporate yes man.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Sep 2022 09:31

But its not meaningless if the result is we are now unseeded and face more difficult qualifying in future.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Sep 2022 09:42

Here you lot go again. Southgate crap eh? Just run past me his record in MAJOR tournaments?
Please also remind me how many England managers have a better record than him in major tournaments

Judge him on how England do in the World Cup and Euros.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 24 Sep 2022 10:15

Zip

I have done. 2 defeats that should have been victories, but for his abject in-game management.

Great guy, excellent squad / man manager, but not astute enough tactically to win anything of significance.

We could do better.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 24 Sep 2022 10:34

Got my christmas dinner booked in the 3G on Dec 10th, one snag that`s come up is that if England win the group and reach the QF we will be at home that evening, I wouldn`t fancy getting drenched with beer while tucking into my turkey,
I feel a little bit more confident now after watching that shit last night and Southgate`s ultra safety first approach.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 24 Sep 2022 10:44

Royal Rother
Zip

I have done. 2 defeats that should have been victories, but for his abject in-game management.

Great guy, excellent squad / man manager, but not astute enough tactically to win anything of significance.

We could do better.

And whilst he's done better than others, with the quality of players at his disposal he should have managed them to at least one win

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 24 Sep 2022 11:49

Royal Rother
Zip

We could do better.

Why should England have beaten an in form Italian side in the final?
They matched them all the way and lost on pens.
How do you know England could do better? They haven't done so over the past century so why all of a sudden will that change?

506 posts