Euro 2020

2571 posts
bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Euro 2020

by bcubed » 18 Jun 2021 23:53

Royal Rother
URZZZZ Phillips has no business being in this England team - utterly useless - don’t let one decent game on Sunday cloud over his usual performances for England. Sterling was an abomination. How those two both survived the 90 is beyond me

Kane never seems to do it in an England shirt in the major competitions, miles too static and the service to him is so poor. Rashford was as bad

Pretty much what I came on to post.

Won’t bother now.

The foul on Sterling would definitely have been a VAR penalty in the PL.

Buck stops with Southgate - he is picking the wrong players. Foden hadn’t been great but he was far far better than the utterly hopeless Sterling who takes up some great positions and then tries to run through defenders only to get dispossessed almost every bloody time.

It’s such a shame that our “great” young players rarely improve. Sterling and Rashford are getting worse with every year that passes.

I’ll cling on to the hope that we haven’t peaked too early and things.... can only get betterrrr.

How is VAR not checking that foul?
Who is deciding? Is it someone at the game or elsewhere?

And it was clearly a VAR pen. Not a proper old school pen but these days it's a pen.

And I am fed up of commentators who just say something that aligns with the ref's decision. No point being there if you do that, Peter Walton

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Jun 2021 00:26

bcubed
Royal Rother
URZZZZ Phillips has no business being in this England team - utterly useless - don’t let one decent game on Sunday cloud over his usual performances for England. Sterling was an abomination. How those two both survived the 90 is beyond me

Kane never seems to do it in an England shirt in the major competitions, miles too static and the service to him is so poor. Rashford was as bad

Won’t bother now.

Buck stops with Southgate - he is picking the wrong players. Foden hadn’t been great but he was far far better than the utterly hopeless Sterling who takes up some great positions and then tries to run through defenders only to get dispossessed almost every bloody time.

It’s such a shame that our “great” young players rarely improve. Sterling and Rashford are getting worse with every year that passes.

I’ll cling on to the hope that we haven’t peaked too early and things.... can only get betterrrr.

And it was clearly a VAR pen. Not a proper old school pen but these days it's a pen.

And I am fed up of commentators who just say something that aligns with the ref's decision. No point being there if you do that, Peter Walton

Walton’s view was there was minimal contact and it was a dive. Probably a pen but a soft one.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Jun 2021 07:21

bcubed
Royal Rother

Won’t bother now.

VAR is used slightly differently outside the PL. They would have looked very quick and unless they feel an obvious error existed they move on quickly.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jun 2021 08:21

Zip
bcubed
Royal Rother

Won’t bother now.

Walton’s view was there was minimal contact and it was a dive. Probably a pen but a soft one.
we've all been indoctrinated by the PL's shit use of VAR and player simulation to engineer penalties.

Yes, Sterling got a bit of contact, but it was minimal and it had no effect on the game. He'd already lost the ball and he threw himself down like he'd had his legs scythed out from under him.

Walton's agreeing with the decisions, because the standard of reffing has been exceptional and the use of VAR basically perfect. Far better than the incompetent use in the PL.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Jun 2021 08:28

Snowflake Royal
Zip
bcubed

we've all been indoctrinated by the PL's shit use of VAR and player simulation to engineer penalties.

Yes, Sterling got a bit of contact, but it was minimal and it had no effect on the game. He'd already lost the ball and he threw himself down like he'd had his legs scythed out from under him.

Walton's agreeing with the decisions, because the standard of reffing has been exceptional and the use of VAR basically perfect. Far better than the incompetent use in the PL.

Agreed.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Jun 2021 08:41

Snowflake Royal
Zip
bcubed

Explain the Netherlands penalty to me again

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jun 2021 09:39

Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal
Zip

Haven't seen that one. But VAR has been consistently very well used and very unobtrusive.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 19 Jun 2021 09:42

Franchise FC
Snowflake Royal
Zip

It’s been close to exemplary otherwise though. VAR has been shown to work. The officiating has been in a different level to what we have been used to.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 19 Jun 2021 10:01

Apart from the facts that it wasn’t just minimal contact and he hadn’t lost the ball and it did have a potential impact on the game Ian’s spot on.

Still, I’d rather VAR be operated as it has been so far than the ridiculous way it “works” in the PL so I have no real problem with the outcome in this particular instance.

Scutterbucketz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Scutterbucketz » 19 Jun 2021 10:02

BR0B0T
Scutterbucketz Sweden made that look very difficult. Really thought they weren’t going to get the goal. That they did means I just need Croatia and England to win for a lovely £700 win off a tenner.

I've heard the bookmakers are still taking bets on teams that are not England winning this tournament...are they allowed to do that?!!!!

Shouldn’t be allowed really.

Anyway, the Croatia game was disappointing but it actually felt like sweet relief not to go into the last game with so much riding on it. I’d have had a very different evening watching that shite and being desperate for a goal that was never going to come. As it was I zoned out of match and had a laugh with my friends.

There’s a tiny small part of me that doubts whether it is actually coming home after all. Silly really. I’m sure it’ll be fine.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Jun 2021 10:27

Snowflake Royal
Zip
bcubed

Every player throws themselves down in any or even no contact. That doesn't seem to be a factor these days

Don't get me wrong in my eyes it's not a proper pen, as I said, but these are given via VAR every time.

And I've seen softer pens awarded against Reading without VAR. I'd just like to know the parameters we are working to here.

The refs are certainly letting more go and it's a better game for it. If that happens in the Prem I'm all for it. But for now I'm saying we was robbed !!

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Jun 2021 10:31

Royal Rother Apart from the facts that it wasn’t just minimal contact and he hadn’t lost the ball and it did have a potential impact on the game Ian’s spot on.

Still, I’d rather VAR be operated as it has been so far than the ridiculous way it “works” in the PL so I have no real problem with the outcome in this particular instance.

What is it with the ‘lost the ball’ nonsense ?
There is no element of the laws of the game that insists that a foul is only a foul if the player is in control of the ball. Indeed, numerous times in a game a player will lose the ball, get fouled (by a stupid challenge) and get the decision. Again, if a player plays a pass, even a bad one, then is fouled the foul remains.

As for the contact issue, I absolutely hate the fact that it’s becoming a non-contact sport, but it seems that’s an irreversible trend.

Anyway, England were brilliant negating the threat of the third lowest ranked side in the competition :roll:

Good news though, a draw against Czech Republic guarantees finishing second and so avoids the certainty of a round of 16 elimination. It doesn’t mean we won’t be eliminated, just that a tie against France, Portugal or Germany (or even Hungary at this rate) would be one that I can’t see us progressing from.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Jun 2021 15:26

France :? :shock:

EDIT - sorry Hungary.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 19 Jun 2021 15:28

Back to 1-1 sadly.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Jun 2021 15:28

Proper cmonurz’d them.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 19 Jun 2021 15:31

Hungary have looked pretty decent tbf

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jun 2021 15:47

Kleinheisler looks pretty tasty, and not at a big club, in a rich league, or with a huge - pre-tournament - valuation.

About his peak too at 27.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Jun 2021 17:20

Jeez, talk about smash and grab from Portugal. Been all Germany.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Jun 2021 17:37

Great game this!

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Jun 2021 17:41

bcubed
Royal Rother

Won’t bother now.

Imagine, England v Scotland decided by dodgy VAR decision….. personally agree it was a “VAR penalty” and should therefore have been awarded given the current flow of stupid “VAR penalties” that we’ve had this season. But without VAR the ref is left to make his own decision and rightly said “no”.

2571 posts