Euro 2020

2571 posts
Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Euro 2020

by Ascotexgunner » 19 Nov 2019 21:38

Old Man Andrews Really looking forward to Wales screwing this up. Glorious.

Time for a quick edit imvho :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 19 Nov 2019 21:49

Great news. Hopefully means Gunter will be desperate to go out now and get first team football so we can be rid of him.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 19 Nov 2019 23:06

Well done Wales

Do they have an equivalent of the England Supporters Travel Club that you must use to get tickets?England's costs £75 to join just to be in with a shout of a ticket

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Nov 2019 23:56

Ascotexgunner

Time for a quick edit imvho :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:D :D :D fair play.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Nov 2019 00:14

bcubed Well done Wales

Do they have an equivalent of the England Supporters Travel Club that you must use to get tickets?England's costs £75 to join just to be in with a shout of a ticket

I’m part of the Red Wall so have a ST for all the home games. Never seen Wales away from home so am about to find out how it all works. My ST for our four Euro qualifiers was £100. My son is 16 and his ST was just £20. Fabulous value for money and just for a change my team one a massive match.
Mark it. Reading are going up this season via the play offs.

The atmosphere tonight was special. This Wales squad is a lot stronger than 2016 with so many youngsters coming through like Dan James, Ethan Ampadu, David Brooks, Harry Wilson, Chris Mepham, Neco Williams, Joe Rodon, Joe Morrell and Dylan Exciting times.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Nov 2019 00:15

8)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 20 Nov 2019 00:29

Zip
bcubed Well done Wales

I’m part of the Red Wall so have a ST for all the home games. Never seen Wales away from home so am about to find out how it all works. My ST for our four Euro qualifiers was £100. My son is 16 and his ST was just £20. Fabulous value for money and just for a change my team one a massive match.

The atmosphere tonight was special. This Wales squad is a lot stronger than 2016 with so many youngsters coming through like Dan James, Ethan Ampadu, David Brooks, Harry Wilson, Chris Mepham, Neco Williams, Joe Rodon, Joe Morrell and Dylan Exciting times.

When I look at Wales team, I’m always surprised you’re not up at the top more. You have players playing for Juventus, Real Madrid, Tottenham, Man United, Chelsea (loosely), even teams like Palace and Bournemouth. People seem to write Wales off but there’s a decent squad there

No idea who Morrell is mind but he seems to play quite a bit in your midfield the last few games. And I think that was one of your biggest weaknesses the last time I saw you play, think it was Croatia, Allen just doesn’t seem up to it anymore. Obviously don’t know how you played tonight but from the highlights you seemed dominant

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 20 Nov 2019 00:40

URZZZZ
Zip
bcubed Well done Wales

When I look at Wales team, I’m always surprised you’re not up at the top more. You have players playing for Juventus, Real Madrid, Tottenham, Man United, Chelsea (loosely), even teams like Palace and Bournemouth. People seem to write Wales off but there’s a decent squad there

No idea who Morrell is mind but he seems to play quite a bit in your midfield the last few games. And I think that was one of your biggest weaknesses the last time I saw you play, think it was Croatia, Allen just doesn’t seem up to it anymore. Obviously don’t know how you played tonight but from the highlights you seemed dominant

Allen was terrific tonight. Just edged out for MoTM by Ramsey. Part of the problem is we never have our key players fit at the same time. Tonight was the first time Ramsey and Bale have started in over a year.

Morrell has really surprised me. He is a good player but it’s Ethan Ampadu who is the one to watch. He is a beast of a player and still only 19.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Nov 2019 06:59

URZZZZ
Zip
bcubed Well done Wales

When he can be bothered and isn't on the golf course or needs to up his match fitness for international breaks. :wink:

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Nov 2019 08:24

Belgium
Italy
Russia
Poland
Ukraine
Spain
France
Turkey
England
Czech Republic
Finland
Sweden
Croatia
Austria
Netherlands
Germany
Denmark
Switzerland
Wales

Play-offs sides known but draw to be made.

Ireland & N.Ireland could meet in the final of the League B Play-off

Play-offs - Semi finals to be played 26th March.

A: Iceland & 3 of Romania, Hungary, Bulgaria, Israel

B: Bosnia V Northern Ireland, Slovakia V Republic of Ireland

C: Scotland V (Romania/Hungary/Bulgaria/Israel), Norway v Serbia

D: Georgia V Belarus, North Macedonia V Kosovo

As 2 hosts will be League C then the draw will place that winner in 2 pools and the draw will be finalised after the play-offs.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 20 Nov 2019 09:36

Zip I’m part of the Red Wall so have a ST for all the home games. Never seen Wales away from home so am about to find out how it all works. My ST for our four Euro qualifiers was £100. My son is 16 and his ST was just £20. Fabulous value for money and just for a change my team one a massive match.

That really is fantastic value.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Nov 2019 09:47

North Macedonia v Kosovo could be a little bit spicy.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Nov 2019 10:02

URZZZZ
Zip
bcubed Well done Wales

Football is an O-ring system. It's the one shit player or replacement that's not quite up to snuff that will have the biggest effect.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Nov 2019 10:06

Old Man Andrews North Macedonia v Kosovo could be a little bit spicy.

No, not really, they've not got any serious beef. They both seceded from Serbia at roughly the same time. Kosovo is more muslim, but North Macedonia does have a significant muslim population. There were minor issues with refugees (the two countries share a border) after the Kosovo war.

I think Macedonia may have been one of the first countries to recognise an independent Kosovo.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Nov 2019 10:09

FWIW, this is the list of games UEFA won't do on the grounds of politics.

Gibraltar / Spain,
Kosovo / Bosnia and Herzegovina,
Kosovo / Serbia,
Armenia / Azerbaijan
Russia / Ukraine

Of those, two are still active warzones.

They also have a rule about drawing, for example, Iceland, the Faroes and Kazakhstan in the same group.

(yeah, had to google, but worth it for the complete answer)

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Nov 2019 12:39

stealthpapes FWIW, this is the list of games UEFA won't do on the grounds of politics.

Gibraltar / Spain,
Kosovo / Bosnia and Herzegovina,
Kosovo / Serbia,
Armenia / Azerbaijan
Russia / Ukraine

Of those, two are still active warzones.

They also have a rule about drawing, for example, Iceland, the Faroes and Kazakhstan in the same group.

(yeah, had to google, but worth it for the complete answer)

Most of those games are avoidable but you would think at some point Russia & Ukraine will meet in a knock out game. Be interesting to see what happens if say Kosovo/Serbia make a play-off final from the Nations League or if one side would just be moved if they were in the same NL play-off.

In slightly other news, Belgium are annoyed as they essentially already know their group as they are one of the top seeds but not a host -so will have to be placed in Group C with Denmark and Russia. Final opponent will either be Wales or Finland.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Nov 2019 12:52

I think the tournament will probably work OK but all this shenanigans with the draw seem pretty daft, which is pretty much as predicted when the format was announced

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Nov 2019 13:53

In slightly other news, Belgium are annoyed as they essentially already know their group as they are one of the top seeds but not a host -so will have to be placed in Group C with Denmark and Russia. Final opponent will either be Wales or Finland.

They should be happy with that on at least two levels.

1) everyone beatable

2) they know where and when they're playing now.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Nov 2019 13:57

oh yah, one side would be moved to the next available group, by alphabetical order.

However, Kosovo aren't recognised as even a country by four of the host nations. awks.

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 20 Nov 2019 14:01

Silver Fox I think the tournament will probably work OK but all this shenanigans with the draw seem pretty daft, which is pretty much as predicted when the format was announced

stolen from wiki but this is wonderful*

*Ukraine cannot be drawn into the same group as Russia (Group B host). Since they also cannot be drawn into any of the other four groups with Pot 1 hosts, Ukraine will be assigned to Group C. Consequently Belgium will be assigned to Group B.

** Identity of the four play-off winners will be unknown at the time of the draw.

*** Depending on the result of the play-off draw, one or both of Hungary (Group F host) and Romania (Group C host) will be drawn into play-off Path A. If there are two hosts in this path, the winner of this path will be assigned to two final tournament groups.

**** Republic of Ireland (Group E host) have qualified for play-off Path B, and thus the winner of this path will be assigned to Group E.

***** Scotland (Group D host) have qualified for play-off Path C. However, depending on the result of the play-off draw, another host, either Hungary (Group F host) or Romania (Group C host), can also be drawn into the same path. If there are two hosts in this path, the winner of this path will be assigned to two final tournament groups.

****** Kosovo have qualified for play-off Path D. They cannot be drawn into Group B with Russia (Group B host).

Looking at it, Portugal in Pot 3 is where your Standard Issue GROUP OF DEATH will come from, I think.

2571 posts