2571 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Euro 2020

by Franchise FC » 01 Jul 2021 21:51

Zip
Franchise FC
Zip
8) Little wonder it was so iconic. I have driven 430 miles today and am knackered...well that’s my excuse.

Funny how one reasonably innocent quote can make me laugh so much.
Mrs F thinks I’ve lost it (and she may be right)

It did make me smile when you pointed out my error.

Error, schmerror, it’s made my day
Little things ...

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 Jul 2021 06:42

Surprised at how much the French media are going after their crown jewels (Mbappe). L'equipe again today running headlines of how much of a problem his ego has become and the players he has fallen out with.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 02 Jul 2021 07:19

Sanguine Enjoying the false narrative developing that our midfield was overrun by Germany. There's a reason that Germany did pretty much fcuk all with their possession.

Yeah that is b/llocks.

Although I wouldn't say they did f/ck all with it, I'd say the first half was evenly matched. England dominated the second half.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 02 Jul 2021 07:28

Sanguine Enjoying the false narrative developing that our midfield was overrun by Germany. There's a reason that Germany did pretty much fcuk all with their possession.

On the plus side Southgate seems pretty good at shutting out the pressure and criticism from the media, England fans with an agenda against him and the team, and GreatWesternLine. It's also possible he's helping the players do this too.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Jul 2021 08:02

Spain 3 Switzerland 1

Belgium 1 Italy 1 - Italy on pens

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Jul 2021 09:07

St Pauli

Yeah that is b/llocks.

Although I wouldn't say they did f/ck all with it, I'd say the first half was evenly matched. England dominated the second half.

Agreed. Kroos is the sort of player you may have expected to boss our midfield and run the game, like Modric and Rakitic in 2018. But we dealt with him excellently.

I'd still be anxious to see our team up against Veratti and Jorginho, but let's focus on the immediate games first I guess.

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 02 Jul 2021 09:37

WestYorksRoyal
St Pauli

Yeah that is b/llocks.

Agreed. Kroos is the sort of player you may have expected to boss our midfield and run the game, like Modric and Rakitic in 2018. But we dealt with him excellently.

I'd still be anxious to see our team up against Veratti and Jorginho, but let's focus on the immediate games first I guess.

I believe that we can successfully nullify the thread of those two, with our Leeds Pirlo

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Jul 2021 10:58

WestYorksRoyal
St Pauli

Yeah that is b/llocks.

Peak Kroos I think you’re right, but what I’ve seen of him in the last couple of years is not peak

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 02 Jul 2021 12:57

We got a real barn burner of a couple games today

Hope the Swiss can do it

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 02 Jul 2021 13:15

Franchise FC
WestYorksRoyal
St Pauli
Yeah that is b/llocks.

Peak Kroos I think you’re right, but what I’ve seen of him in the last couple of years is not peak

You look at that 2014 side, it just wasn't talent, it was a magnificent unit as well that suffocated teams, and pressed and hunted in packs. They are now relying too much on the older players to give the confidence. This has to be the lowest point in German football.....lower than the last World Cup even. I see nothing in there that even looks like it will
challenge for a major tournament in the next few years. They have always had a striker that the opposition fear, even Janker had a bit of a reputation. I look at what they have now and in Werner and think, christ is that the best they have? Really?.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 02 Jul 2021 13:30

Ascotexgunner You look at that 2014 side, it just wasn't talent, it was a magnificent unit as well that suffocated teams, and pressed and hunted in packs. They are now relying too much on the older players to give the confidence. This has to be the lowest point in German football.....lower than the last World Cup even. I see nothing in there that even looks like it will
challenge for a major tournament in the next few years. They have always had a striker that the opposition fear, even Janker had a bit of a reputation. I look at what they have now and in Werner and think, christ is that the best they have? Really?.

:|

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jul 2021 13:56

St Pauli
Ascotexgunner You look at that 2014 side, it just wasn't talent, it was a magnificent unit as well that suffocated teams, and pressed and hunted in packs. They are now relying too much on the older players to give the confidence. This has to be the lowest point in German football.....lower than the last World Cup even. I see nothing in there that even looks like it will

+1 I would say that finishing bottom of their group in Euro 2000 (also containing England) with 1 point and 1 goal scored would be much lower than this tournament.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2000_Group_A

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 02 Jul 2021 14:06

St Pauli

Yeah that is b/llocks.

This is how I saw it. Germany started well. Then England got into the game. Honours even at half time. I thought England took control in the second half.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 02 Jul 2021 15:00

Hendo
St Pauli

+1 I would say that finishing bottom of their group in Euro 2000 (also containing England) with 1 point and 1 goal scored would be much lower than this tournament.

It's generally BS too.

Germany are a side in transition, with a Manager seeing out his contract, who's already chalked up a WC win.

And they still made it through a very competitive group stage, to be knocked out by one of England's best squads of recent years, at their peak, at home.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Jul 2021 15:06

St Pauli
Hendo
St Pauli

It's generally BS too.

Germany are a side in transition, with a Manager seeing out his contract, who's already chalked up a WC win.

And they still made it through a very competitive group stage, to be knocked out by one of England's best squads of recent years, at their peak, at home.

This England squad is not at its peak yet. In 2024 and 2026, Maguire and Kane will still only be in their early 30s, while the young guns will be even more experienced. Only Henderson, Trippier and Walker will be too old, who all play in positions where we're well stocked.

We have a decade ahead where we should be competing for major honours.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 02 Jul 2021 15:09

WestYorksRoyal
St Pauli
Hendo

It's generally BS too.

This England squad is not at its peak yet. In 2024 and 2026, Maguire and Kane will still only be in their early 30s, while the young guns will be even more experienced. Only Henderson, Trippier and Walker will be too old, who all play in positions where we're well stocked.

We have a decade ahead where we should be competing for major honours.

Hmmm.

I'm not convinced players get much better as they get older. What they gain in experience they lose in being a known quantity to an opposition.

Time will tell I guess.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 02 Jul 2021 15:20

Weren't we getting told the same thing about 20 years ago? GoLOLden geneROFLation

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 02 Jul 2021 15:39

6ft Kerplunk Weren't we getting told the same thing about 20 years ago? GoLOLden geneROFLation

Indeed. This group doesn't seem to have the arrogance and tensions between clubs. Plus we have a manager who picks a functional team instead of trying to shoehorn in too many big names.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Jul 2021 15:40

WestYorksRoyal
6ft Kerplunk Weren't we getting told the same thing about 20 years ago? GoLOLden geneROFLation

Indeed. This group doesn't seem to have the arrogance and tensions between clubs. Plus we have a manager who picks a functional team instead of trying to shoehorn in too many big names.

Think Rio Ferdinand said something a while ago that a lot of these players grew up playing for England U18s and U23s so there is already that foundation relationship and no club tension.

Which can only be a good thing.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Jul 2021 17:26

At the risk of a crossover thread, it’s all going a bit Tsitsipas up for the Swiss at the moment

2571 posts