Euro 2020

2571 posts
John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

Re: Euro 2020

by John Madejski's Wallet » 12 Jul 2021 12:18

Royal Rother Saka looked overawed last night - leaving him as 5th on the list (established in training) was terrible management.

^^ Agree there

He even looked overawed when he came on a he just wasn't in the game.

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 12 Jul 2021 12:19

Uke At least Nige got booed and a couple bottles thrown at him when he turned up after slagging off the team earlier for their "Marxism".

Really?

Any footage!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 12 Jul 2021 12:20

With regards to the racist abuse etc - it is awful, abhorent, makes me angry... but....

seen examples of what has come Rashford and Sancho way this morning via Twitter. Not sure how accurate it is but location wise, of the 9 examples, 6 were foreign sounding names and locations read, Germany x 2, Bulgaria x1, Pakistan x 2, Sweden x 2 - so what i am saying is i wish media would make out its an international problem and "these accounts" are not primary British based.

and then i see a mural for Rashford has been defaced and then i just sink into my chair with despair.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jul 2021 12:54

Royal Rother Grealish has responded to Roy Keane’s criticism of him not taking a pen last night. He said he put his name forward but Southgate stuck with the original plan.

Saka looked overawed last night - leaving him as 5th on the list (established in training) was terrible management.

It's a difficult line. Southgate has rightly been praised for trusting youth and getting them to play in a fearless manner, but agreed Saka looked a bit overawed yesterday.

Foden was a big miss; he'd have had an impact off the bench and would probably have been one of the penalty takers.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 12 Jul 2021 12:55

Thing about bringing on the strikes is, if he didnt do it and we lost, people will have complained that defenders were taking pens when we had strikers on the bench who should have taken them.

if you lose a shootout it doesnt matter what you did, people will say you should have done the other thing and won. England lose a lot of penality shoot outs, whether they bring on subs or not.

Pretty sure England's historic failure at pens is now self perpetuating. But let's face it, Italy were the better team and even getting to penalties was an achievement as the match wore on.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 12 Jul 2021 12:59

Greatwesternline Thing about bringing on the strikes is, if he didnt do it and we lost, people will have complained that defenders were taking pens when we had strikers on the bench who should have taken them.

if you lose a shootout it doesnt matter what you did, people will say you should have done the other thing and won. England lose a lot of penality shoot outs, whether they bring on subs or not.

Pretty sure England's historic failure at pens is now self perpetuating. But let's face it, Italy were the better team and even getting to penalties was an achievement as the match wore on.

A difficult game to assess as we scored so early on and then started dropping deeper and deeper.

They had few clear chances but dominated large spells of possession without really doing anything

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jul 2021 13:05

fartdad honestly england had the advantage of home games and only once came across a team of equal quality (italy), i feel like the Knee and marxist BLM salutes were a bit too much of a distraction. It's probably time for southgate to step down and get some fresh leadership. team needs someone like warnock or ian holloway

G, oxf*rd off back under your rock, you shit wum pcunt, cheers.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Jul 2021 13:14

Greatwesternline Thing about bringing on the strikes is, if he didnt do it and we lost, people will have complained that defenders were taking pens when we had strikers on the bench who should have taken them.

Bit in bold is so true. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn’t.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jul 2021 13:22

Hendo
genome
Hendo Learn to oxf*rd spell players names correctly, my god.

The number of people I've seen calling Saka "Sako", jesus

It is just common decency. If you're not sure, just oxf*rd google it.

He does it all the time with Reading players too. The guy has no respect.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 12 Jul 2021 13:33

Snowflake Royal
Hendo
genome
The number of people I've seen calling Saka "Sako", jesus

It is just common decency. If you're not sure, just oxf*rd google it.

He does it all the time with Reading players too. The guy has no respect.

Oh yeah, I know. I've called him out on it before.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jul 2021 13:36

Whilst I hate the stutter penalty, Rashford's was almost perfection. He waited and waited for their keeper and then went the other way. He just dragged it slightly. Possibly a product of barely touching the ball.

Sancho's was just plain poor. He tried the stutter, got out waited by the keeper and hit it flustered.

Saka, who has looked out of his depth since Germany after excelling in the group, had the right idea, but execution terrible. No excuses on late sub there, he'd been on long enough. But probably shouldn't have been on the list.

We (the team and Southgate) made some errors. We failed to counter the Italian change and fell deeper and deeper. And then when we did win the ball, the excellent Rice made poor decisions. Rather than turning back and retaining possession to kill the Italian momentum, he several times drove at multiple Italians and tried to thread the eye of a needle to force a goal.

In extra time, we really forced our way back in, but once again Kane looked heavy and tired. And we simply couldn't get Sterling on the ball. Yes, Grealish should have come on sooner. Sancho probably should have come on instead of Saka.

Pretty amazing performance to take the Italians to the 5th penalty with a number of mistakes against the best team in the tournament.

Unfortunately we just didn't exploit the Italian centrebacks lack of pace and got trapped in our half.

A couple of minor, but costly, errors from the manager and players in an otherwise near flawless tournament.

Shame I won't be watching the next World Cup thanks to corruption and human rights abuses.

Also, a word on England fans. The last 5 years has really brought a resurgence in the knuckledragging scum. Absolute disgrace. Should be fined into oblivion.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jul 2021 13:38

BR0B0T

A difficult game to assess as we scored so early on and then started dropping deeper and deeper.

They had few clear chances but dominated large spells of possession without really doing anything

An early goal in big games is proving to be a curse; we always sit back far too soon and invite pressure. I don't think we'd have allowed Italy to dominate and gather momentum like that at 0-0. Definitely something they need to work on ahead of 2022.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jul 2021 13:50

Snowflake Royal Also, a word on England fans. The last 5 years has really brought a resurgence in the knuckledragging scum. Absolute disgrace. Should be fined into oblivion.

I think people are in denial to an extent. The phrase "They're not real football fans" is bollocks; they are football fans who feel entitled to act that way, so we need to acknowledge that football has a problem.

It's basically a spectrum of inappropriate behaviour that needs to be stamped out. A group of lairy teenagers singing about 10 German bombers or booing the national anthem is not uncommon, and goes pretty much unchallenged at the game. Or singing inappropriate songs in Leicester Square that may make bystanders uncomfortable. But at the extreme end it's racist abuse or some of the violence we saw yesterday. Don't draw a line between this shit; call it out, hand out bans for inappropriate chants and harassment.

And those football fans who find this behaviour abhorrent need to be more active. I'm not talking about standing up to a load of drunken yobs who could get violent. But how about applauding the opposition's anthem to show you're respectful and don't agree with the boos?

The FA have done a great job turning around the culture of the team; maybe it's time to think about the fans more.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jul 2021 14:02

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal Also, a word on England fans. The last 5 years has really brought a resurgence in the knuckledragging scum. Absolute disgrace. Should be fined into oblivion.

I think people are in denial to an extent. The phrase "They're not real football fans" is bollocks; they are football fans who feel entitled to act that way, so we need to acknowledge that football has a problem.

It's basically a spectrum of inappropriate behaviour that needs to be stamped out. A group of lairy teenagers singing about 10 German bombers or booing the national anthem is not uncommon, and goes pretty much unchallenged at the game. Or singing inappropriate songs in Leicester Square that may make bystanders uncomfortable. But at the extreme end it's racist abuse or some of the violence we saw yesterday. Don't draw a line between this shit; call it out, hand out bans for inappropriate chants and harassment.

And those football fans who find this behaviour abhorrent need to be more active. I'm not talking about standing up to a load of drunken yobs who could get violent. But how about applauding the opposition's anthem to show you're respectful and don't agree with the boos?

The FA have done a great job turning around the culture of the team; maybe it's time to think about the fans more.

They are football fans in many cases. But it's a wider societal problem.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jul 2021 14:04

Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal

Yes, but football seems to be the only sport where these wider societal problems surface so frequently and tarnishes our reputation. Why is it so much worse than in rugby and cricket, for example?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jul 2021 14:06

WestYorksRoyal
Snowflake Royal
WestYorksRoyal I think people are in denial to an extent. The phrase "They're not real football fans" is bollocks; they are football fans who feel entitled to act that way, so we need to acknowledge that football has a problem.

Yes, but football seems to be the only sport where these wider societal problems surface so frequently and tarnishes our reputation. Why is it so much worse than in rugby and cricket, for example?

Where have you been the last decade? Its surfacing everywhere.

When was the last time a cricket or rugby match got 30m viewership here? Football is just bigger scale and far less middle class.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 12 Jul 2021 14:07

Snowflake Royal Whilst I hate the stutter penalty, Rashford's was almost perfection. He waited and waited for their keeper and then went the other way. He just dragged it slightly. Possibly a product of barely touching the ball.

Sancho's was just plain poor. He tried the stutter, got out waited by the keeper and hit it flustered.

Saka, who has looked out of his depth since Germany after excelling in the group, had the right idea, but execution terrible. No excuses on late sub there, he'd been on long enough. But probably shouldn't have been on the list.

We (the team and Southgate) made some errors. We failed to counter the Italian change and fell deeper and deeper. And then when we did win the ball, the excellent Rice made poor decisions. Rather than turning back and retaining possession to kill the Italian momentum, he several times drove at multiple Italians and tried to thread the eye of a needle to force a goal.

In extra time, we really forced our way back in, but once again Kane looked heavy and tired. And we simply couldn't get Sterling on the ball. Yes, Grealish should have come on sooner. Sancho probably should have come on instead of Saka.

Pretty amazing performance to take the Italians to the 5th penalty with a number of mistakes against the best team in the tournament.

Unfortunately we just didn't exploit the Italian centrebacks lack of pace and got trapped in our half.

A couple of minor, but costly, errors from the manager and players in an otherwise near flawless tournament.

Shame I won't be watching the next World Cup thanks to corruption and human rights abuses.

Also, a word on England fans. The last 5 years has really brought a resurgence in the knuckledragging scum. Absolute disgrace. Should be fined into oblivion.

So it’s December 2022. England are in the World Cup Final. Are you seriously suggesting you are not watching the game?

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Jul 2021 14:11

Zip
Snowflake Royal Whilst I hate the stutter penalty, Rashford's was almost perfection. He waited and waited for their keeper and then went the other way. He just dragged it slightly. Possibly a product of barely touching the ball.

So it’s December 2022. England are in the World Cup Final. Are you seriously suggesting you are not watching the game?

I didn't go to a single League or Cup match for Reading after McDermott was sacked second time despite having had a season ticket for a couple years before and seeing at least one game a season since 94/95. And it being our best season for years

We'll see, but I don't think it will be that hard.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 12 Jul 2021 14:15

I doubt you'll struggle for options of other things to do a week before Xmas, assuming everyone isn't locked down again.

I will likely watch it but will see nearer the time. Have the time my view is, it's going on if I choose to watch it or not and there won't be enough people boycotting it to stop something like that happening again, so sod it Honduras v New Zealand should be a cracker.

St Pauli
Hob Nob Legend

by St Pauli » 12 Jul 2021 14:16

Called it 8) :

St Pauli
AthleticoSpizz Agree Wolfie, just such a shame that tales like this somewhat overshadow the game itself.

Booing National Anthems
Laser pens
Dominoes pizzas

Whatever next?

Crowd trouble. Assaults on opposition fans.

England fans haven’t had to accept defeat yet this tournament. Who knows how they’ll react with the stakes so high.

2571 posts