World Cup 2022 qualifying begins

410 posts
Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

Re: World Cup 2022 qualifying begins

by Hendo » 10 Mar 2021 14:18

Stranded Be interesting to see how things shape up as far as qualifying is concerned if South America's COVID situation doesn't improve.

Next 2 rounds already cancelled as European clubs won't let players travel there, understandably. So if the Jiune games get hit as well, will quickly run out of free international dates to get them all in. Imagine they will just run a smaller qualifying tournament if so.

I assume their qualifying structure has each team plays everyone home and away? Could they reduce it to just 1 game for each side? I know that there might be advantages/disadvantages with that, but surely that would become the only way they could do it.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Mar 2021 14:58

Hendo
Stranded Be interesting to see how things shape up as far as qualifying is concerned if South America's COVID situation doesn't improve.

Next 2 rounds already cancelled as European clubs won't let players travel there, understandably. So if the Jiune games get hit as well, will quickly run out of free international dates to get them all in. Imagine they will just run a smaller qualifying tournament if so.

I assume their qualifying structure has each team plays everyone home and away? Could they reduce it to just 1 game for each side? I know that there might be advantages/disadvantages with that, but surely that would become the only way they could do it.

Yep, it's an 18 game league campaign - so yes they could drop it to 9 game but that could potentially hamper some sides - particularly if they have to head up to La Paz to play Bolivia and some others don't.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Mar 2021 15:20

Stranded
Hendo

Yep, it's an 18 game league campaign - so yes they could drop it to 9 game but that could potentially hamper some sides - particularly if they have to head up to La Paz to play Bolivia and some others don't.

Oh yeah, for sure. But I can't see any other way of doing it really. The only other thing would be to play them all at neutral venues but that could also be a logistical nightmare.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Mar 2021 16:10

Hendo
Stranded
Hendo

Oh yeah, for sure. But I can't see any other way of doing it really. The only other thing would be to play them all at neutral venues but that could also be a logistical nightmare.

Could play them in Europe? A lot of the players already play here and may be easier to test those coming from South America then having players in Europe heading there.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 10 Mar 2021 16:12

Stranded
Hendo
Stranded

Could play them in Europe? A lot of the players already play here and may be easier to test those coming from South America then having players in Europe heading there.

Worst case scenario, I guess you could do that, but what with Champions League and Europa League games currently being played at neutral venues, I'm not sure if that idea would fly with everyone.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 12 Mar 2021 14:41

Hendo
Stranded
Hendo

Worst case scenario, I guess you could do that, but what with Champions League and Europa League games currently being played at neutral venues, I'm not sure if that idea would fly with everyone.

Reduce to 1 game and miss out in all the money generated by the telly etc. Think that’ll be right out of the window before they even start :lol:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Mar 2021 21:48

Just realised we are playing 3 (THREE) world cup qualifiers in 7 days, from 25th March. San Marino (h), Albania (a), Poland (h).
Will surely be pretty much two separate teams from Southgate, not least given the calibre of the first two opponents.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 15 Mar 2021 23:35

Sanguine Just realised we are playing 3 (THREE) world cup qualifiers in 7 days, from 25th March. San Marino (h), Albania (a), Poland (h).
Will surely be pretty much two separate teams from Southgate, not least given the calibre of the first two opponents.

Would’ve thought so. 1 team for the home games and 1 team for the away with maybe some minor crossover?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Mar 2021 12:55

Zlatan recalled to the Sweden squad. If he plays, aged 39, it will be his first appearance for his country in 5 years, and he'll beat Thomas Ravelli's record to be the oldest player capped by Sweden, by 18 months. Like Ravelli, Henrik Larsson was also 38 (just) when he made his last appearance for Sweden.

Edit: this does open up the possibility that Ibrahimovic sets a much more impressive record. He played in the 2002 World Cup, making two appearances) - if he was to appear in Qatar next year, that would be a span of 20 years appearing in World Cup Finals. No player has ever made Finals appearances more than 16 years apart.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 16 Mar 2021 15:57

Sanguine Just realised we are playing 3 (THREE) world cup qualifiers in 7 days, from 25th March. San Marino (h), Albania (a), Poland (h).

IMO will be a good chance to experiment with players on the fringes of the Euro squad for the first two games

Little point in playing the likes of Kane in them for example, as you’d expect us to win both regardless

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 18 Mar 2021 11:18

Sanguine Zlatan recalled to the Sweden squad. If he plays, aged 39, it will be his first appearance for his country in 5 years, and he'll beat Thomas Ravelli's record to be the oldest player capped by Sweden, by 18 months. Like Ravelli, Henrik Larsson was also 38 (just) when he made his last appearance for Sweden.

Edit: this does open up the possibility that Ibrahimovic sets a much more impressive record. He played in the 2002 World Cup, making two appearances) - if he was to appear in Qatar next year, that would be a span of 20 years appearing in World Cup Finals. No player has ever made Finals appearances more than 16 years apart.

Listening to the Football Daily podcast and they were pointing out how much in the past Sweden 'had' to base their play around Zlatan and ultimately it didn't really help them much, and when he leaves they end up being the best they have been for decades as they are finally able to play a different style and were somewhat liberated

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 24 Mar 2021 15:19

Since when is Qatar in Europe? Why are they playing in European qualifiers?

Absolute disgrace and a mockery of our continent.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Mar 2021 15:51

Simmops Since when is Qatar in Europe? Why are they playing in European qualifiers?

They aren't? Why would they be qualifying for their own World Cup anyway?

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 24 Mar 2021 16:29

Hendo
Simmops Since when is Qatar in Europe? Why are they playing in European qualifiers?

They are.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Mar 2021 16:38

Simmops
Hendo

They are.

Please point to me on this image as to what group they're in.

morganb
Hob Nob Regular

by morganb » 24 Mar 2021 16:47

From: https://www.sportinglife.com/football/n ... tes/187226

Why are Qatar part of European qualifying?

World Cup hosts Qatar were invited by UEFA to join European qualifying as part of their preparation for the tournament.

Their ‘home’ matches will take place in Europe, and as have automatically already qualified their results will not count towards qualification.

While it is out of ordinary for a non-European nation to take part in the qualification rounds, it is not the first time a host nation will play in what are essentially glorified friendlies.

Ahead of Euro 2016, France were the first host nation to take part in a European Championship qualification phase, with their group-stage contests serving as friendlies with no points awarded.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Mar 2021 17:02

Oh ok, so they're just glorified friendlies and not part of the actual qualifying process, got it. :roll:

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 24 Mar 2021 17:49

Hendo
Simmops
Hendo

They are.

Please point to me on this image as to what group they're in.

:|

RATIO'D

" Why are Qatar in with Europe’s teams?
Wait, is that Qatar in Group A along with Portugal, Serbia, Republic of Ireland, Luxembourg and Azerbaijan?

Yes and no. In a move designed to give next year’s hosts much-needed experience against seasoned opposition, Qatar will act as the group’s sixth team.

Their results will not count towards the group’s standings, however. The matches are merely for practice, given the team naturally already has a place at the Qatar 2022 World Cup.

This isn’t the first time Qatar have been parachuted into an unfamiliar competition.

They also played (dismally) in the 2019 Copa America and will be part of this summer’s Gold Cup, normally reserved for North American, Central American and Caribbean nations "

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 24 Mar 2021 17:49

Hendo Oh ok, so they're just glorified friendlies and not part of the actual qualifying process, got it. :roll:

Yes and I'm right you are wrong

Ratiod

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 24 Mar 2021 18:49

Using ratio’d in an argument. Good one :|

They’re results do not count towards any qualifying results, ergo they’re not part of the qualifying tournament.

410 posts