Now losing.

:roll:

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: World Cup 2022 qualifying begins

by LUX » 30 Mar 2021 21:38

3-1 down, oh well.

I’m gonna defy the curfew and boo outside Ronaldo’s hotel. It’s not far away.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 30 Mar 2021 21:42

Too close for comfort. TBF going down to 10 men helped us tonight. No way was that a sending off though.
Great goal though. That cross from Bale was just quality and James unbelievably can head a ball.
And Rodon can actually defend. Hell of a block at the end.
Belgian though.....8 nil.....kinell.

tulip
Hob Nob Addict

by tulip » 30 Mar 2021 21:44

LUX 3-1 down, oh well.

I’m gonna defy the curfew and boo outside Ronaldo’s hotel. It’s not far away.

Yeah do it! The rest of the Benelux did rather well tonight.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 31 Mar 2021 12:26

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... p-football

Very interesting read on a potential Norway boycott of the Qatar World Cup.

And particularly interesting to read about club ownership in Norway (which is driving some of the momentum on this).

But grassroots campaigns are nothing new. So why has this boycott movement made the FA’s top brass quiver? Because Norwegian football is a democracy. Clubs are by law owned and run by their members who, once a year, vote on the club’s policies, amendments of its statutes and so on. Any paid-up member over the age of 15 is eligible to vote – the law applies to all clubs, from the smallest community-based outfit to former Champions League regulars Rosenborg.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 31 Mar 2021 12:41

Ascotexgunner Belgian though.....8 nil.....kinell.

With De Bruyne and Lukaku on the bench too.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 31 Mar 2021 17:43

Sanguine https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/mar/30/norway-boycott-qatar-world-cup-football

Very interesting read on a potential Norway boycott of the Qatar World Cup.

And particularly interesting to read about club ownership in Norway (which is driving some of the momentum on this).

But grassroots campaigns are nothing new. So why has this boycott movement made the FA’s top brass quiver? Because Norwegian football is a democracy. Clubs are by law owned and run by their members who, once a year, vote on the club’s policies, amendments of its statutes and so on. Any paid-up member over the age of 15 is eligible to vote – the law applies to all clubs, from the smallest community-based outfit to former Champions League regulars Rosenborg.

It really needs one of the bigger footballing nations to stand up. The English FA should be leading the way, they see themselves as a leader in helping minorities and promoting equality. Their silence is deafening......and backed by the players also.
They all take the knee yet seem to be happy to play for their country and participate in a competition that will culminate with them playing in a country where women are treated like sh*t, human rights are non existent, human trafficking is well known, slavery still exists, LBGT rights are outlawed and beheading is still apunishment.
And of course a country who bribed officials for their tournament.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 31 Mar 2021 18:44

Straight Red for our 'Georgy Boy' in the early game vs Armenia - from what I saw of the 2nd half up to this dismissal he was fairly peripheral albeit making a nuisance of himself as the central striker.

V.stupid studs up challenge for a ball he didn't need to try and win - looked decidedly embarrassed about it but had to go.

Armenia just levelled on 86' but looked miles offside! (no Var) .... and now 3' later, been given a pen.
...tucked away 3-2 - and game over.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 31 Mar 2021 21:08

Feel a bit sorry for Stones. I'd didn't think that was his fault entirely.
That was a shitty pass by Pope and noone seemed to offer any help as an option.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Mar 2021 21:10

Ascotexgunner Feel a bit sorry for Stones. I'd didn't think that was his fault entirely.

I don’t. Typical Stones. Always an accident waiting to happen. Entirely his fault.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 31 Mar 2021 21:11

Germany losing to north Macedonia

San marino still drawing which is a oxf*rd miracle

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Mar 2021 21:12

Ascotexgunner Too close for comfort. TBF going down to 10 men helped us tonight. No way was that a sending off though.
Great goal though. That cross from Bale was just quality and James unbelievably can head a ball.

Great result given the number of players missing. If we can just have a strong team available for the return v Belgium we have a chance of winning the group.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 31 Mar 2021 21:14

Zip
Ascotexgunner Feel a bit sorry for Stones. I'd didn't think that was his fault entirely.

I don’t. Typical Stones. Always an accident waiting to happen. Entirely his fault.

The centrback pairing really looks soft for England. They don't look like they have a great understanding.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 31 Mar 2021 21:18

Zip
Ascotexgunner Too close for comfort. TBF going down to 10 men helped us tonight. No way was that a sending off though.

Great result given the number of players missing. If we can just have a strong team available for the return v Belgium we have a chance of winning the group.

Can't see us being top. Czechs still worry me. It's great to have a bit of depth though. Belgium certainly look beatable. Poor mistakes cost us but we had chances. Dan James gets more important to us by game and it's looking like a solid unit we now have.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Mar 2021 21:18

Ascotexgunner
Zip

The centrback pairing really looks soft for England. They don't look like they have a great understanding.

It’s the area where England are vulnerable.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Mar 2021 21:20

Ascotexgunner
Zip

Can't see us being top. Czechs still worry me. It's great to have a bit of depth though. Belgium certainly look beatable. Poor mistakes cost us but we had chances. Dan James gets more important to us by game and it's looking like a solid unit we now have.

I dunno, Belgium were nothing special against us. I was there the last time we played them in Cardiff. We beat them that night. We can do it again.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 31 Mar 2021 21:27

Zip
Ascotexgunner
Zip

I dunno, Belgium were nothing special against us. I was there the last time we played them in Cardiff. We beat them that night. We can do it again.

Home advantage is crucial. Again, like England, that Belgian partnership at the back looks soft. We are very much in this for top spot.....but Czech Rep away bothers me.

Zip
Hob Nob Legend

by Zip » 31 Mar 2021 21:29

Good finish by Maguire

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Mar 2021 21:31

89 mins gone:

Germany 1 North Macedonia 2

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 31 Mar 2021 21:40

Stranded 89 mins gone:

Germany 1 North Macedonia 2

And now the final score.

First home WC qualification defeat since that 5-1 defeat to England in 2001.

410 posts