Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

2186 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

by NathStPaul » 02 Sep 2021 10:39

Sanguine Ridiculous isn't he. Beginning to think the money United are spending on his transfer and wages will look like a bargain in a few months time.

He quite literally played against Ireland on his own for 95 minutes, Portugal were utter garbage as a team and had Ireland won the game they would have more than deserved it.

I don't want to go over the tired old Messi v Ronaldo debate but for me last night is a clear example why Ronaldo is the better overall player. He has that ability to drag those around him to victory and lead by example. Messi on the other hand is technically brilliant but lacks that killer instinct and leadership quality.

Think I am right in saying he has never scored against England.
Last edited by NathStPaul on 02 Sep 2021 10:42, edited 1 time in total.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Sep 2021 10:42

NathStPaul
Sanguine Ridiculous isn't he. Beginning to think the money United are spending on his transfer and wages will look like a bargain in a few months time.

He quite literally played against Ireland on his own for 95 minutes, Portugal were utter garbage as a team and had Ireland won the game they would have more than deserved it.

I don't want to go over the tired old Messi v Ronaldo debate but for me last night is a clear example why Ronaldo is the better overall player. He has that ability to drag those around him to victory and lead by example. Messi on the other hand is technically brilliant but lacks that killer instinct and leadership quality.

I don't want to* go over that debate either, but no-one has more goals or assists in top flight football since Messi made his debut, than Messi. He can't really have done more than that to 'lead'.

Messi's La Liga stats last season are extraordinary.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Sep 2021 11:04

NathStPaul

Might be because he has never played against England. :wink:

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Sep 2021 11:06

Hendo
NathStPaul

Ronaldo? He most definitely has.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Sep 2021 11:07

NathStPaul
Hendo
NathStPaul He quite literally played against Ireland on his own for 95 minutes, Portugal were utter garbage as a team and had Ireland won the game they would have more than deserved it.

Oh, I thought you were talking about Messi!

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Sep 2021 11:11

Hendo
NathStPaul
Hendo

No, I knew we hadn't played against an Argentina side with Messi in it. Was a bit surprising to see Ronaldo hadn't scored against us, assumed he had scored against every top team. Here are his numbers:

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 Sep 2021 11:14

NathStPaul
Hendo
NathStPaul Ronaldo? He most definitely has.

No, I knew we hadn't played against an Argentina side with Messi in it. Was a bit surprising to see Ronaldo hadn't scored against us, assumed he had scored against every top team. Here are his numbers:

That is a bit surprising. Did he score a penalty in the shootout(s), I guess that doesn't count in the official stats though?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 02 Sep 2021 11:35

Six against Lux :x

On a side note, Lux inaugurated its new national stadium last night…… with a win. Six points now.

See ya in Qatar.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 Sep 2021 11:45

LUX Six against Lux :x

On a side note, Lux inaugurated its new national stadium last night…… with a win. Six points now.

See ya in Qatar.

There has been definite improvement with them in the last few years. What is it down to? Good youth system?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Sep 2021 13:33

Startling first-half heatmap for Scotland in Copenhagen last night. Simply got nowhere near the Danish penalty area with the ball, appalling stuff. Awful timing that performance for Steve Clarke, having just signed a new deal.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 Sep 2021 13:46

Sanguine Startling first-half heatmap for Scotland in Copenhagen last night. Simply got nowhere near the Danish penalty area with the ball, appalling stuff. Awful timing that performance for Steve Clarke, having just signed a new deal.

Haven’t seen anything like that since the last time Reading played.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 02 Sep 2021 14:54

Woeful performance tbf, couple of must wins coming up

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 02 Sep 2021 15:25

NathStPaul
LUX Six against Lux :x

See ya in Qatar.

There has been definite improvement with them in the last few years. What is it down to? Good youth system?

they have had some fantastic results recently (eg winning in Dublin in this campaign. That is a seriously good result for Lux.) But they are capable of screwing up terribly. A couple of years ago they drew with France (in a qualifying match) and three days later conceded 8 against Sweden.

They are no longer mugs, and teams like Portugal have only beaten them by the odd goal recently (having gone behind). Pretty sure both goals were scored by Ronaldo......

Of course, they will never qualify for a tournament. This time around they are in a Group with Portugal and Serbia, which is too tough. Away to Serbia on Saturday, so we'll see.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 Sep 2021 16:23

Sky Sports reporting that the PL has agreed a break in the 2022/23 season from 13th November, resuming on Boxing Day. Yet to be confirmed how the time will be made up, but I'd expect an early August start and late May finish, with a few extra midweeks thrown in and the EFL Cup being decimated.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 22 Sep 2021 21:27

Sanguine Sky Sports reporting that the PL has agreed a break in the 2022/23 season from 13th November, resuming on Boxing Day. Yet to be confirmed how the time will be made up, but I'd expect an early August start and late May finish, with a few extra midweeks thrown in and the EFL Cup being decimated.

Makes you (well, me) wonder if the championship will have to follow suit - or perhaps just allow games to be cancelled on a fixture by fixture basis.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 26 Sep 2022 10:29

Seen a lot of stuff about lack of accommodation - Qatari officials building MDF style cabins in the desert and charging £184 a night for them.

Before you've even considered the price (and potential lack of availability) of a pint, why would anyone plan a trip out there?

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 26 Sep 2022 21:54

Green Seen a lot of stuff about lack of accommodation - Qatari officials building MDF style cabins in the desert and charging £184 a night for them.

Before you've even considered the price (and potential lack of availability) of a pint, why would anyone plan a trip out there?

Believe it or not fans have worked out it's cheaper to take a 40 minute commute flight from Dubai and all the hotels there are being booked. This really is an ill thought out shitshow of a World Cup. The lies, the bent voting, and no-one held to account....shit really doesn't stick to FIFA does it.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 28 Sep 2022 15:02

Ascotexgunner
Green Seen a lot of stuff about lack of accommodation - Qatari officials building MDF style cabins in the desert and charging £184 a night for them.

Believe it or not fans have worked out it's cheaper to take a 40 minute commute flight from Dubai and all the hotels there are being booked. This really is an ill thought out shitshow of a World Cup. The lies, the bent voting, and no-one held to account....shit really doesn't stick to FIFA does it.

But lying, bent voting and no one being brought to book for shady doings (save perhaps the odd dogsbody if things get pushed enough) is pretty much the way the world is run these days so why should FIFA be held to account any more than anyone else.

Of course everyone should have walked away from having anything to do with it. If the various sponsors had got together when it was obvious FIFA were going to do nothing they could have brought the whole thing crashing down years ago and the tournament would have to had been moved elsewhere.

Anyway as regards the farce itself, I reckon Argentina and then Brazil are the two countries to beat, they have the players and are in great form so the only question is - is it possible to get an Argentina v Brazil final? Shame though that the pricing, timing, various rules and logistics will probably ruin the occasion for many proper supporters of each nation.

Green
Hob Nob Legend

by Green » 28 Sep 2022 19:38

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63066393

Bravo Hummel and bravo Denmark, hopefully there is more of this to come from other nations, sponsors and suppliers.

fartdad
Hob Nob Regular

by fartdad » 07 Oct 2022 19:21

akin to McDonald’s putting a rainbow in their Twitter profile pic during pride month

2186 posts