Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

2186 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

by Franchise FC » 26 Nov 2022 18:07

How has Ally McCoist getting a commentating gig

He has no idea what’s going on

Today’s gem (during the France/Denmark game) : “Am I right that if this ends in a draw Australia are through ?”

Er no, Ally, there’s three games each in the group games (I appreciate that’ll be a surprise to you), and Denmark play Australia in the last game, meaning that they (Denmark) can win and go above Australia.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Nov 2022 18:09

Sutekh
Royal Rother
Dirk Gently It's a reaction to losing those two goals to Iran - that was Southgate's focus in post-match interviews after that win, so you can be sure that was the focus of the training session inbetween the two games, and once you focus more on not conceding than on scoring the whole emphasis changes and any freedom up front goes out of the window.

Good point, well made.

Commentators said that Southgate was very grumpy post match after conceding 2.

He does my head in. As always focusing on the wrong things.

Really?! He does realise the object of the game is simply to score more than whoever it is you’re playing and not to keep clean sheets doesn’t he?

No.

His philosophy is that if you don’t concede you can’t lose in 120 mins.

Which just means we don’t play to our strengths, which is just so bloody annoying.

Safety first in everything he does. Playing guys completely out of form / on the decline like Sterling and Henderson because “they’ve never let me down” when there are generational talents available to him, and all that shite.

He’s a very intelligent guy - you’d hope he’d learn from his mistakes but he never does.

Anyway, where are the Southgate apologists on this thread? You know, the ones who called me all sorts of things after I said he really should be replaced after the Euros because he just doesn’t have a winner’s mentality, totally incapable of changing things in-game, and was squandering our opportunities with this hugely talented group of attacking players....

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 26 Nov 2022 18:54

France are the first European team this century to get out of the group stage while reigning world champions

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Nov 2022 19:02

Royal Rother
Sutekh
Royal Rother
Good point, well made.

Commentators said that Southgate was very grumpy post match after conceding 2.

He does my head in. As always focusing on the wrong things.

Really?! He does realise the object of the game is simply to score more than whoever it is you’re playing and not to keep clean sheets doesn’t he?

No.

Which just means we don’t play to our strengths, which is just so bloody annoying.

Safety first in everything he does. Playing guys completely out of form / on the decline like Sterling and Henderson because “they’ve never let me down” when there are generational talents available to him, and all that shite.

He’s a very intelligent guy - you’d hope he’d learn from his mistakes but he never does.

Anyway, where are the Southgate apologists on this thread? You know, the ones who called me all sorts of things after I said he really should be replaced after the Euros because he just doesn’t have a winner’s mentality, totally incapable of changing things in-game, and was squandering our opportunities with this hugely talented group of attacking players....

This philosophy, of course, taking us to a semi final and final after years and years of failures in major tournaments. How awful :roll:

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 26 Nov 2022 19:23

URZZZZ
Royal Rother
Sutekh

No.

This philosophy, of course, taking us to a semi final and final after years and years of failures in major tournaments. How awful :roll:

I’m going to get splinters from this fence but here goes.

He gets 100% credit for achieving the success we’ve had recently and the fact that they do seem to be factionless
I’m constantly amazed that he doesn’t trust the likes of Foden when pretty much everyone sees him as a generational talent
If we scrape through, scrape through the knock outs on penalties every round and then win the final with a dodgy pen or an own goal I won’t care how we played, or even who he picked

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 26 Nov 2022 19:34

URZZZZ
Royal Rother
Sutekh

No.

There’s one.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 26 Nov 2022 20:07

Dreadful first half between Argentina and Mexico.
Argentina playing a bit like England last night, pass and stand still.
With what is at stake hopefully Argentina will really step it up and produce moves that it took 50 minutes of the first half to produce.

Surely they are better than this based on results in the past couple of years.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Nov 2022 20:08

I haven't watched every minute of every game, but it does seem to me that the following have occurred:

1. There have been a LOT of fould throws, none of which get called.
2. There have been either no, or virtually no, goals coming from a corner.
3. I don't think there has been a goal from a direct free kick yet

I will stand corrected on the last 2 if wrong.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Nov 2022 20:10

Franchise FC
URZZZZ
Royal Rother
No.

He gets 100% credit for achieving the success we’ve had recently and the fact that they do seem to be factionless
I’m constantly amazed that he doesn’t trust the likes of Foden when pretty much everyone sees him as a generational talent
If we scrape through, scrape through the knock outs on penalties every round and then win the final with a dodgy pen or an own goal I won’t care how we played, or even who he picked

But then isn’t there the argument that Foden plays so well for City because they play a style suited to his game? Same with Trent

I mean we’ve seen it first hand the number of players at Reading who have worked well elsewhere before flopping here (and none of the the 05/06 team performing elsewhere)

Foden played a few games at Euro 20 and was fairly disappointing (hooked first both times he started). No one doubts his quality but it’s about choosing the best for the overall team, not the individual players

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 26 Nov 2022 20:13

Royal Rother
URZZZZ
Royal Rother
No.

There’s one.

I’m not particularly a Southgate apologist. It is undoubtedly a cautious and stifling way of playing

But he’s very much under appreciated for the work he’s done here. It is, after all, a results business and his record in major tournaments has been very good. And I’d also argue football would be dull if every team played the same style

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Nov 2022 20:18

Franchise FC
URZZZZ
Royal Rother
No.

Well we will all be delighted of course

But right now I'm not sure we're seeing the best this team can be.
As we didn't in the last two major tournaments.

Yes we've done so much better than in recent history and the squad seems to be very much together. But I will never be convinced we couldn't have beaten Croatia or Italy. And even if we hadn't we could have at least shown some more attacking intent.

The lack of faith in Foden is just staggering. Who doesn't think he's an amazing talent? Who doesn't think he's probably our best overall player? So why not pick him? Id probably build the whole team around him he's that good.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 26 Nov 2022 20:21

URZZZZ
Franchise FC
URZZZZ

But then isn’t there the argument that Foden plays so well for City because they play a style suited to his game? Same with Trent

I mean we’ve seen it first hand the number of players at Reading who have worked well elsewhere before flopping here (and none of the the 05/06 team performing elsewhere)

Foden played a few games at Euro 20 and was fairly disappointing (hooked first both times he started). No one doubts his quality but it’s about choosing the best for the overall team, not the individual players

I think there's an argument that you should be building the team around Foden rather than around Maguire as it appears we did last night. Who are you going to replace Southgate with? The two leading English managers are Howe and Potter, can't see either of them giving up their club jobs at the moment. Although Potter may be available sooner rather than later with a battered reputation.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 26 Nov 2022 20:22

I'm sure Southgate would say he's learnt how to play in tournaments, win your first game then shut up shop and get into the knockouts.

It's boring and shit entertainment but if it works I'll give him the benefit of doubt.

I'm fully expecting a 0-0 v Wales, but if we play like that in the knockouts I'll be livid.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 26 Nov 2022 20:24

Mexico really missing the legendary Ramirez. How he didn't win player of the tournament in 2002 is still a mystery given his performance in the 4-0 win against Bassetts England team.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Nov 2022 20:27

6ft Kerplunk
URZZZZ
Franchise FC I’m going to get splinters from this fence but here goes.

I think there's an argument that you should be building the team around Foden rather than around Maguire as it appears we did last night. Who are you going to replace Southgate with? The two leading English managers are Howe and Potter, can't see either of them giving up their club jobs at the moment. Although Potter may be available sooner rather than later with a battered reputation.

As said above re Foden

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 26 Nov 2022 20:28

PieEater I'm sure Southgate would say he's learnt how to play in tournaments, win your first game then shut up shop and get into the knockouts.

It's boring and shit entertainment but if it works I'll give him the benefit of doubt.

I'm fully expecting a 0-0 v Wales, but if we play like that in the knockouts I'll be livid.

But that's exactly how we played in the last two major tournaments when it really mattered

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 26 Nov 2022 22:13

Messi the GOAT

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 26 Nov 2022 22:24

Mr Angry I haven't watched every minute of every game, but it does seem to me that the following have occurred:

Denmark’s goal today was from a corner

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 26 Nov 2022 22:35

Henderson was absolute dogshit when he came on.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 26 Nov 2022 22:35

Silver Fox
Mr Angry I haven't watched every minute of every game, but it does seem to me that the following have occurred:

Denmark’s goal today was from a corner

If it's the only one, that rather backs up my thought of "...either no, or virtually no....." goals from corners in what, 24 games so far?

2186 posts