2186 posts
Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Qatar Hero - The World Cup 2022 thread

by Franchise FC » 09 Dec 2022 09:38

YorkshireRoyal99
Sutekh
South Coast Royal
Yeah, it's going to be good for Liverpool to have a world class keeper, a world class central defender, a world class winger/striker and a world class midfielder in time for next season.

Salah and Van Dijk are both getting old and Liverpool need to be looking at recruiting/finding their replacements in the next year, I would say, so that they can be seamlessly replaced. No wonder they’re looking for more investment or to sell.

It depends how long these players can last for at the top of the game really. Van Djik might have had that cut short a year or two with his knee injury and Salah might need to change his role, similar to Ronaldo, in order to stay at the top of the game. When I say "similar to Ronaldo", I mean change position from wide player to CF, rather than Ronaldo's style of play.

Jota, Diaz and Nunez are coming through, if they can keep the former fit, so you're potentially only looking at filling in squad areas for competition really. Elliot can play in the front 3 as well as they've already got 4 options there before they even think about Salah or Firmino moving on as they get older. I think they'll be fine in those areas.

Been really impressed with Elliott
Would like to think he would be an England contender but that is a really tough area to break into with Foden, Grealish, Saka, Rashford, etc.
But he’s still young (and so are Foden and Saka)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 09 Dec 2022 10:28

Franchise FC
YorkshireRoyal99
Sutekh
Salah and Van Dijk are both getting old and Liverpool need to be looking at recruiting/finding their replacements in the next year, I would say, so that they can be seamlessly replaced. No wonder they’re looking for more investment or to sell.

It depends how long these players can last for at the top of the game really. Van Djik might have had that cut short a year or two with his knee injury and Salah might need to change his role, similar to Ronaldo, in order to stay at the top of the game. When I say "similar to Ronaldo", I mean change position from wide player to CF, rather than Ronaldo's style of play.

Jota, Diaz and Nunez are coming through, if they can keep the former fit, so you're potentially only looking at filling in squad areas for competition really. Elliot can play in the front 3 as well as they've already got 4 options there before they even think about Salah or Firmino moving on as they get older. I think they'll be fine in those areas.

Would like to think he would be an England contender but that is a really tough area to break into with Foden, Grealish, Saka, Rashford, etc.

He's been playing a lot in CM this season when he's been fit, so there is definitely a space for him to create from a deeper, slightly more central position. Whether he's to Southgate's tastes I don't know but I'd like to think he could be useful in an area where we lack a bit of depth.

I'm hoping Tomori and Trevor Chalobah continue to develop and get their chance in the squad as well. Been impressed with the latter at Chelsea and if we do want to play a back 3 at any point, then he'd certainly be a good enough candidate to start in that role.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 09 Dec 2022 12:18

YorkshireRoyal99
Franchise FC
YorkshireRoyal99

He's been playing a lot in CM this season when he's been fit, so there is definitely a space for him to create from a deeper, slightly more central position. Whether he's to Southgate's tastes I don't know but I'd like to think he could be useful in an area where we lack a bit of depth.

I'm hoping Tomori and Trevor Chalobah continue to develop and get their chance in the squad as well. Been impressed with the latter at Chelsea and if we do want to play a back 3 at any point, then he'd certainly be a good enough candidate to start in that role.

Good point on the CB’s
I think that’s where we’re most exposed at the moment and it would be nice to have some pace available there

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 09 Dec 2022 12:18

right, just put 20 euros on Croatia v Brazil at 8/1 with Paddy Power. Crazy price, Croatia are no mugs, finalists last time out, and I reckon Brazil (who are of course the better team at the moment) may well underestimate them.

You can lolz at me later.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 09 Dec 2022 12:40

LUX right, just put 20 euros on Croatia v Brazil at 8/1 with Paddy Power. Crazy price, Croatia are no mugs, finalists last time out, and I reckon Brazil (who are of course the better team at the moment) may well underestimate them.

Had crossed my mind earlier that with how Brazil's last match was reported that it would be a decent punt. Then I remembered how Croatia have been so far, just lacking a goal threat.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Dec 2022 13:06

LUX right, just put 20 euros on Croatia v Brazil at 8/1 with Paddy Power. Crazy price, Croatia are no mugs, finalists last time out, and I reckon Brazil (who are of course the better team at the moment) may well underestimate them.

Can I lolz at you now?

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 09 Dec 2022 14:06

8/1 to win the game in normal time?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 09 Dec 2022 14:09

yes, so three-horse race

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 09 Dec 2022 14:17

On the updated ELO rating 1/ (10^(214/400) + 1) = 0.21...

21% chance of Croatia qualifying. Taking the margin out would price Croatia at least 5-1 to qualify (100/20)

Bookmakers make more money on underpricing favorites than anything else. They do not look for a balanced book

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 09 Dec 2022 14:36

The basic numbers work out. It's actually a pretty decent bet

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Dec 2022 15:18

Conservative_dad On the updated ELO rating 1/ (10^(214/400) + 1) = 0.21...

21% chance of Croatia qualifying. Taking the margin out would price Croatia at least 5-1 to qualify (100/20)

Bookmakers make more money on underpricing favorites than anything else. They do not look for a balanced book

21% is 4/1, not 5/1. (Well, 20% is anyway.)

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Dec 2022 15:46

Croatia giving as good as they’re getting currently. HT 0-0

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Dec 2022 16:13

When was it decided to change the pronunciation of Vincius Jr?

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 09 Dec 2022 16:14

Royal Rother
Conservative_dad On the updated ELO rating 1/ (10^(214/400) + 1) = 0.21...

21% is 4/1, not 5/1. (Well, 20% is anyway.)

Correct, meant 5.0

Conservative_dad
Hob Nob Regular

by Conservative_dad » 09 Dec 2022 16:16

or 4/1 in the worst odds format ever :wink:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Dec 2022 16:40

Silver Fox When was it decided to change the pronunciation of Vincius Jr?

Isn’t it pronounced Vinicius (Vi-ni-cee-us) - his full name is Vinícius José Paixão de Oliveira Júnior

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 09 Dec 2022 16:53

Do yellow cards get cancelled out after the quarter finals?

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 09 Dec 2022 16:54

6ft Kerplunk Do yellow cards get cancelled out after the quarter finals?

Yes.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Dec 2022 16:55

Sutekh
Silver Fox When was it decided to change the pronunciation of Vincius Jr?

Isn’t it pronounced Vinicius (Vi-ni-cee-us) - his full name is Vinícius José Paixão de Oliveira Júnior

That's how Mowbray pronounces it now, I'm sure people used to say Vinishus. They've also started saying juniORE when it was always standard junYA

Anyway, he's not as bad as the ITV idiots

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 09 Dec 2022 16:56

Why is Michael Oliver being so kind to Croatia card wise? And maybe more importantly, why has he got his name on the back of his shirt!?!?!

2186 posts