LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8640 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by Hoop Blah » 23 Oct 2017 09:40

I didn't watch the game or the post-match analysis yesterday but having seen the goals this morning it does look like just more of the same for Liverpool. As much as I think van Dijk would probably improve things a bit I still maintain it's more about the setup and mentality than the individuals involved.

It sounds like Neville said much the same but it's just what Carragher was ranting about with Rednkapp a few weeks ago isn't it?

Klopp needs to learn that they can't be that open and have the consistency and resilience to challenge for the title.

Jack Celliers
Hob Nob Regular

by Jack Celliers » 23 Oct 2017 09:46

genome Still think Liverpool should've taken £100m+ for Coutinho and invested it in an actual defence

Thinking about the money alone, it was one of the more ludicrous decisions of the summer anyway. Perhaps only matched by Southampton not taking £70 million for van Dijk. Both clubs didn't want to be seen as small-time selling clubs, but have ended up finding other ways to upset their fans and sponsors this season, anyway.

It's more than the personnel though. You can get restricted donkeys to play well in central defence if everybody knows what they are doing, there is a settled goalie behind them, and a couple of full backs who can hold the line. It needs a settled side, a bit of confidence and good coaching, but Liverpool just seem there for the taking at the moment.

I love Klopp, and hope he avoids the sack for ten more years, but he has got to stop pissing about with defence. Taking the centre-half off today was the worst thing he could have done: he can't do anything with Lovren now. Was there no bit of advice he could have given at half-time, instead?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 23 Oct 2017 09:52

Jack Celliers I love Klopp, and hope he avoids the sack for ten more years, but he has got to stop pissing about with defence. Taking the centre-half off today was the worst thing he could have done: he can't do anything with Lovren now. Was there no bit of advice he could have given at half-time, instead?

Hmm, not sure about that. It was a brutal decision but he needed to come off, he was getting absolutely murdered and Tottenham could've been out of sight at half time.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Oct 2017 09:57

genome
Jack Celliers I love Klopp, and hope he avoids the sack for ten more years, but he has got to stop pissing about with defence. Taking the centre-half off today was the worst thing he could have done: he can't do anything with Lovren now. Was there no bit of advice he could have given at half-time, instead?

Hmm, not sure about that. It was a brutal decision but he needed to come off, he was getting absolutely murdered and Tottenham could've been out of sight at half time.

Agree with that, but also agree Lovren is nowhere now (not least after Klopp's comments that he himself would have done a better job on Kane). Klavan will start the next match I'm sure.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 23 Oct 2017 10:17

joke of a club. But because of that, I don't mind them. Bit like Spurs, when it comes down to it.

+1 for the Klopp love ( :o )

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 23 Oct 2017 12:19

Can't even remember the last time Liverpool had a good centre back pairing

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 23 Oct 2017 12:31

Winston Biscuit Can't even remember the last time Liverpool had a good centre back pairing

Hyppia and Henchoz, I guess.

I'm a big fan of Klopp, but he's let Skrtel and Sakho leave who are to my mind better than their current options.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 23 Oct 2017 12:31

If they weren't so cavalier they might get away with it, sometimes the Jose parking the bus tactic is the right one

double d

by double d » 23 Oct 2017 12:31

Carra and hyypia

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 23 Oct 2017 12:58

genome

In commentary it was suggested that Lovren has an ongoing back injury that has to be carefully managed.
What is surprising is how poor both Fonte and Lovren have been since leaving Southampton where they were one of the most successful defensive partnerships-the same seems to have happened to Michael Keane at Everton following his move from a Burnley side which also were very strong at the back.

The only consolation is that they were beaten by the side that will probably finish second whereas embarrassingly on the same weekend Man Utd were beaten by a side that will probably be relegated and Everton were humiliated by a side that they would expect to finish just a couple of places behind at the end of the season.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 21 Nov 2017 21:25

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Nov 2017 22:33

Another terrific defensive performance from the once mighty reds. Don’t know what it will take for them to be able to defend like a top team should be able to defend but until Klopp does find a solution they will never win anything and only ever achieve the occasional 4th place in the league.

That said they’ll probably still win their group - but then get Real Madrid in the last 16.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Nov 2017 09:27

Sevilla coach apparently announced he had cancer to the team at half-time as part of his team talk. Seemed to gt the team fired up.

Hopefully his treatment will be successful.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 22 Nov 2017 10:05

Phil Thompson should not do the 'Soccer Saturday' gig for Liverpool. He is far too biased and is craving for the attention to be on the Liverpool game and he shouts over everyone else, it just gets irritating. Although, it is quite spectacular when it blows up, just like last night.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 22 Nov 2017 11:42

Sutekh Another terrific defensive performance from the once mighty reds. Don’t know what it will take for them to be able to defend like a top team should be able to defend but until Klopp does find a solution they will never win anything and only ever achieve the occasional 4th place in the league.

That said they’ll probably still win their group - but then get Real Madrid in the last 16.

Cracking game of attacking football from both sides-I think most people would prefer to see a 3-3 than a 0-0.
Liverpool are still strong favourites to go through which is good for English football going forward.
I think Moreno was over-excited about his return to Seville leading to a booking and a couple of dire defensive mistakes.
Chelsea on Saturday will be a good test after this when I hope Liverpool decide to play for the whole 90 minutes rather than for just 45.

Marino13

by Marino13 » 22 Nov 2017 14:37

BR2
Sutekh Another terrific defensive performance from the once mighty reds. Don’t know what it will take for them to be able to defend like a top team should be able to defend but until Klopp does find a solution they will never win anything and only ever achieve the occasional 4th place in the league.

Cracking game of attacking football from both sides-I think most people would prefer to see a 3-3 than a 0-0.
Liverpool are still strong favourites to go through which is good for English football going forward.
I think Moreno was over-excited about his return to Seville leading to a booking and a couple of dire defensive mistakes.
Chelsea on Saturday will be a good test after this when I hope Liverpool decide to play for the whole 90 minutes rather than for just 45.

liverpool get a days extra rest over chelsea too so should be fresher.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 22 Nov 2017 15:02

BR2

tbf most fans would rather see their team win a boring game 1-0 than throw away a three goal lead

obvs was delighted to see them fook it up (and also 'surprisingly unsurprised' they did this....)

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Nov 2017 16:54

BR0B0T
BR2

tbf most fans would rather see their team win a boring game 1-0 than throw away a three goal lead

obvs was delighted to see them fook it up (and also 'surprisingly unsurprised' they did this....)

Nobody said anything about a 1-0.
Why delighted?
Surely you want English teams to do well-it helps for future allocation of Champs League places so their qualifying and doing well might help a team that you actually like, if there is one.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 22 Nov 2017 17:02

Victor Meldrew
BR0B0T
BR2

Why delighted?
Surely you want English teams to do well-it helps for future allocation of Champs League places so their qualifying and doing well might help a team that you actually like, if there is one.

you make a reasonable argument but I just really dislike LFC

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 22 Nov 2017 18:39

BR0B0T
Victor Meldrew
BR0B0T

Why delighted?

you make a reasonable argument but I just really dislike LFC

Fair enough.
Apart from RFC ,that presumably we are both fans of, is there a Premier League club that you like so that I can be horrible about them when the time is right? e.g. Man Utd losing at Huddersfield or Spurs at Arsenal.

8640 posts