95 points plus and finishing second :shock:
One of them is going to do it :shock:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by Sanguine » 15 Apr 2019 11:53

Franchise FC 95 points plus and finishing second :shock:

Liverpool could reach 97 and not win it. City could make 96 with four wins and a draw, and not win it, too. Mental.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2019 11:57

Sanguine
Franchise FC 95 points plus and finishing second :shock:

Liverpool could reach 97 and not win it. City could make 96 with four wins and a draw, and not win it, too. Mental.

It's a scary though that the PL could see 2 teams win 30 of 38 league games. If that happens, someone will still accuse Liverpool of bottling it if they finish 2nd.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Apr 2019 12:12

Worth adding I think that whilst to finish with 97 points and not win the league would be ridiculous, for two such evenly matched teams one might think it a 'fair' result given that City edged the two league meetings between the sides.

Lots of talk of Liverpool having 'struggled' since Xmas, but since the defeat to City at the Etihad, they have 31 points from 13 games.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Apr 2019 12:41

Stranded
Old Man Andrews Truly excellent goal from Salah yesterday. Brilliant result for Liverpool yesterday but I just can't see City dropping points again this season.

They still have to visit Old Trafford and have Spurs in the league. I can see them drawing one of those.

Liverpool will need to win their last 4 to stand any chance in taking the title. Those 4 are:

Cardiff (a)
Huddersfield (H)
Newcastle (a)
Wolves (H)

The next 2 look shoe-in's, Newcastle are safe so who knows what can happen there. Wolves on the last day could be tough, especially if they have a shot at 7th which could well bring then European football.

I think that City's game away at Burnley is possibly harder than their game at Man Utd.
Everybody likes to play the forecasting game at this time of year and whereas all of those above games are winnable for Liverpool they still have to be played and Liverpool at times this season have still found it difficult to break down sides putting 10 men behind the ball-for that reason I am glad that the Newcastle game is away from home as they will at least come out a bit more than they do for away games.

I'm sure sanguine can tell us-how many times in Premier League history would Liverpool's current points tally, with 4 games still to play, have been enough to win the League?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Apr 2019 12:42

Victor Meldrew
Stranded
Old Man Andrews Truly excellent goal from Salah yesterday. Brilliant result for Liverpool yesterday but I just can't see City dropping points again this season.

They still have to visit Old Trafford and have Spurs in the league. I can see them drawing one of those.

Liverpool will need to win their last 4 to stand any chance in taking the title. Those 4 are:

Cardiff (a)
Huddersfield (H)
Newcastle (a)
Wolves (H)

The next 2 look shoe-in's, Newcastle are safe so who knows what can happen there. Wolves on the last day could be tough, especially if they have a shot at 7th which could well bring then European football.

I think that City's game away at Burnley is possibly harder than their game at Man Utd.

I have seen some bollocks in my time here but that takes the cake.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 15 Apr 2019 12:44

Sanguine Worth adding I think that whilst to finish with 97 points and not win the league would be ridiculous, for two such evenly matched teams one might think it a 'fair' result given that City edged the two league meetings between the sides.

Lots of talk of Liverpool having 'struggled' since Xmas, but since the defeat to City at the Etihad, they have 31 points from 13 games.

Fair point - City are only a missed pen at Anfield away from having a 2 point lead with a game in hand if you just look at head to head records.

If Liverpool fall short it will be the second time in recent memory where draws cost them. The game at City is their only defeat of the season, but whilst City have lost 4 they have only drawn 2. The back to back draws against Leicester and West Ham in Jan/Feb could well make the difference - games where they took the lead.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Apr 2019 12:48

Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew
Stranded

Cardiff (a)
Huddersfield (H)
Newcastle (a)
Wolves (H)

Thank you for that deeply considered view that has added so much to the topic.
Have a crystal ball do you, Mystic Meg?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Apr 2019 12:54

Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew

No but I know Burnley away isn't as challenging as Manchester United away. I know that because I sensible.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Apr 2019 12:59

Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews

No but I know Burnley away isn't as challenging as Manchester United away. I know that because I sensible.

You make so many posts that perhaps you might have learned to look before you leap.
The equivalent games last season :-

Man Utd 1 City 2
Burnley 1 City 1
So maybe not the "bollocks" that you were so quick to suggest. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Apr 2019 13:03

Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew

You make so many posts that perhaps you might have learned to look before you leap.

Man Utd 1 City 2
Burnley 1 City 1
So maybe not the "bollocks" that you were so quick to suggest. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Last season is completely irrelevant. You have got very confused in your old age. Maybe football isn't for you anymore? How about bowls?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Apr 2019 13:14

Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews

Man Utd 1 City 2
Burnley 1 City 1

Last season is completely irrelevant. You have got very confused in your old age. Maybe football isn't for you anymore? How about bowls?

Of course it is relevant-it shows that City, who won the league last season only drew at Burnley but won at Man Utd with a squad not much different from today's squad.
For all your insults, this aged brain and body are still working quite well thank you-something that (brainwise) i doubt that you will ever apire to judging from the rubbish that you post on here.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Apr 2019 13:17

Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew

Man Utd 1 City 2
Burnley 1 City 1

Of course it is relevant-it shows that City, who won the league last season only drew at Burnley but won at Man Utd with a squad not much different from today's squad.
For all your insults, this aged brain and body are still working quite well thank you-something that (brainwise) i doubt that you will ever apire to judging from the rubbish that you post on here.

Last season City were well on their way to wrapping up the league when they played Burnley as you well know, they were home and dry. They have to go there and win this season and will do for that very reason. United are also a completely different animal now and have to win to boost their chances of a top 4 finish.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Apr 2019 13:22

Old Man Andrews
Victor Meldrew
Old Man Andrews

Last season City were well on their way to wrapping up the league when they played Burnley as you well know, they were home and dry. They have to go there and win this season and will do for that very reason. United are also a completely different animal now and have to win to boost their chances of a top 4 finish.

Tosh-Man Utd finished 2nd last season and City played Burnley in February so how you think that my suggestion of City having a potentially harder game at Old Trafford this time around is , to use your so reasoned articulation, "bollocks" strikes me as unconsidered and a bit Sun-readerish.
Incidentally I hope City lose both games.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 15 Apr 2019 13:24

playing a team with a higher league position is generally considered harder

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 15 Apr 2019 13:25

BR0B0T playing a team with a higher league position is generally considered harder

Yeah this. It is quite simple logic.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 15 Apr 2019 13:47

Stranded
Sanguine Worth adding I think that whilst to finish with 97 points and not win the league would be ridiculous, for two such evenly matched teams one might think it a 'fair' result given that City edged the two league meetings between the sides.

Fair point - City are only a missed pen at Anfield away from having a 2 point lead with a game in hand if you just look at head to head records.

If Liverpool fall short it will be the second time in recent memory where draws cost them. The game at City is their only defeat of the season, but whilst City have lost 4 they have only drawn 2. The back to back draws against Leicester and West Ham in Jan/Feb could well make the difference - games where they took the lead.

Utlimately though they could fall short by a point, therefore any game they didn't win 'cost them'. People talk a lot about City's loss to Palace, but you barely hear about their defeat a week later against Leicester. It's all a narrative - ultimately even these two great sides aren't going to win every game; although as it stands at the moment, they could end the season with over ten wins on the bounce each.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Apr 2019 13:49

BR0B0T playing a team with a higher league position is generally considered harder

So by the same token playing a lesser side should be easier.
How come Man Utd struggled at home to West Ham on Saturday then?
Football is never so black and white .

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 15 Apr 2019 13:55

Genuinely, deeply concerned they might win this.

That soft-centre has almost completely disappeared :cry:

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 16 Apr 2019 11:33

Maguire Genuinely, deeply concerned they might win this.

That soft-centre has almost completely disappeared :cry:

Fcuk me I agree with Maguire. Troubling.

8641 posts