LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8640 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by NathStPaul » 24 May 2021 11:58

Sanguine Such an odd season for Liverpool. Top after 16 games. And of their final ten games, they won eight and drew two (the not so shite Nat Phillips contributing to five clean sheets and just six goals conceded). So essentially their entire season was determined by that period of 12 games in the middle of the season where nothing went right. Sure, Klopp might have done some things differently, but it will never be disingenuous to look back on a season missed almost in its entirety by Van Dijk and Gomez, where Matip, Jota and Thiago were all out for at least three months, and where captain Henderson's season ended in February, and talk of injuries.

I find Wijnaldum's words on his exit to be strange. I think he is suggesting Liverpool forced his hand with a miserly contract offer.
'I would have loved to remain a Liverpool player for many years, but unfortunately things went different. I have to start a new adventure. I didn't sign somewhere else.....[but] as of July 1st I'm not a Liverpool player any more.'

Reading between the lines they lowballed him so they could get him off the wage bill. They probably want a younger, cheaper version of Wijnaldum whilst saving themselves 50k a week on wages. Wijnaldum will get a great deal elsewhere so it is a win/win for both club and player imo.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 24 May 2021 17:32

Credit to Liverpool making it at all given the horrendous injury problems to anyone vaguely defensive at the club all season.

Van Dijk lost for a season thanks to a ridiculous challenge from a goalkeeper, Gomes wrecked on England duty, Matip having his usual “sick note” season then signing two central defenders in January but then not playing one of them (Davies) at all and the other (Kabak) being injured for the season after a handful of games. And then on top of that Henderson, Keita, Milner and Fabinho have all had injury prone seasons.

Think Phillips has done ok and has learned quickly but can he edge out any of the injured guys? Rhys Williams is still too young, imo, to be sure one way or another but he’s got a chance there to stake a claim and being so young has a bit of time to make the jump. The odd one is Ben Davies, why buy him and then not play him given his level of experience compared to both Phillips and Williams?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 24 May 2021 18:58

also finishing third isn't a disaster considering the injury problems

I know LFC have just hated this season and are prolly glad it's over

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 23 Aug 2021 19:25

Just to say that the coroner’s inquest into the death of Liverpool fan Andrew Devine in July has ruled that he died as a result of injuries received in the Hilsborough disaster. Therefore there are now 97 victims of the disaster.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 23 Aug 2021 19:51

Sutekh Just to say that the coroner’s inquest into the death of Liverpool fan Andrew Devine in July has ruled that he died as a result of injuries received in the Hilsborough disaster. Therefore there are now 97 victims of the disaster.

The coroner clearly has more data and experience than I, but personally, I find it difficult to reconcile causation over 32 years.

And whilst I appreciate the number of deaths was 96 (now 97) but the number of ‘victims’ is surely significantly higher

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 21 Sep 2021 22:09

Seemed like Origi was a finished player at Liverpool, but he’s put in two very good performances two weeks in a row now, would be handy for Liverpool for him to be a viable option again. Minamino also staked a claim for more regular football - don’t think he’s featured yet in the league

Ox disappointing once again, how he’s maintained a career so far at Arsenal and Liverpool for so long is strange, flatters to deceive time and time again

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 Sep 2021 09:06

URZZZZ Seemed like Origi was a finished player at Liverpool, but he’s put in two very good performances two weeks in a row now, would be handy for Liverpool for him to be a viable option again. Minamino also staked a claim for more regular football - don’t think he’s featured yet in the league

Ox disappointing once again, how he’s maintained a career so far at Arsenal and Liverpool for so long is strange, flatters to deceive time and time again

Before his major injury two or three years ago he was in decent form - seems to be the sort of player who needs a proper run of games to really get going. Which he won't get at Liverpool. A move might spark his career somewhat.

Kaide Gordon showed a few flashes last night that explains the 'best young player in England' tag. Very, very good on the ball.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 22 Sep 2021 10:45

Sanguine
URZZZZ Seemed like Origi was a finished player at Liverpool, but he’s put in two very good performances two weeks in a row now, would be handy for Liverpool for him to be a viable option again. Minamino also staked a claim for more regular football - don’t think he’s featured yet in the league

Before his major injury two or three years ago he was in decent form - seems to be the sort of player who needs a proper run of games to really get going. Which he won't get at Liverpool. A move might spark his career somewhat.

Kaide Gordon showed a few flashes last night that explains the 'best young player in England' tag. Very, very good on the ball.

He’s never had a defined position which I don’t think has helped his cause. He’s had stints at RW, stints at LW, played as a wingback for Arsenal, now seems to be regarded as a CM (also trialled as a striker in pre season this year IIRC too)

Think he’s been a player for most of his career (except the brief period you mentioned) where it’s been about what he can become rather than what he is. Also think, as you mention about the run of games, he tries too hard now to stake a claim as there’s so much depth in the Liverpool midfield

A move to a team like West Ham could be the making of him. Seemingly worked for Lingard

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 03 Oct 2021 20:35

Started the first five minutes well but didn’t get a foot hold past that for the rest of the half. Recovered well in the second and all in all, would perhaps have taken a point

Thought Milner was run ragged all afternoon and lucky to escape a red card. Trent’s injury is unfortunate as aside from GK(?), I believe it’s the only position where they don’t really contain a fullback. Henderson was poor too, a lot of loose touches and passes all afternoon, not something you’d normally associate with him

For all the talk of City being in dire needs of a striker, perhaps Liverpool aren’t too dissimilar. You can tell Jota is a fairly decent player but I’m still not convinced he’s quite up to the quality of these games. Firmino isn’t what he used to be either

Either way, expect to see these two at the top at the end although still believe Chelsea will end up victorious in the end

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 04 Oct 2021 13:44

Nobody picked it up on Sky but I thought Silva was fouled twice ;firstly by Henderson and then by Milner so the ref may well have blown for the first foul otherwise it had to be a second yellow for Milner meaning a sending -off.

An exciting second half and an early goal of the season contender from Salah.
Whether a Liverpool fan or not I can't see how any fan would do anything but marvel at that goal.

It is so rare in modern football to see players dribbling past defenders and this one was very much in the Messi mould.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 04 Oct 2021 14:28

Sanguine Gordon showed a few flashes.

lolz

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 05 Oct 2021 18:52

South Coast Royal Nobody picked it up on Sky but I thought Silva was fouled twice ;firstly by Henderson and then by Milner so the ref may well have blown for the first foul otherwise it had to be a second yellow for Milner meaning a sending -off.

An exciting second half and an early goal of the season contender from Salah.
Whether a Liverpool fan or not I can't see how any fan would do anything but marvel at that goal.

It is so rare in modern football to see players dribbling past defenders and this one was very much in the Messi mould.

A challenge worthy of a yellow card is punishable whether the ball is in play or not. Otherwise, you’re going to see dodgy challenges going in all the time as soon as the ball is out of play.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 16 Oct 2021 23:12

Another quite frankly ridiculous goal from Salah

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 04 Nov 2021 09:45

Liverpool are looking mighty impressive again. That's twice in two games they've dominated Atletico (save for a soft 30 minute spell in the away leg). Quietly amassed a new 25-game unbeaten run in all competitions, albeit I've a feeling that ends at West Ham this weekend, or at Rafa's hands in the Merseyside derby after the international break.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 04 Nov 2021 09:55

Slightly annoyed with their tendency to take the foot off the gas after the opposition go down to 10 men*, after Leeds and Man U that's the third time it's happened this year when they could of taken the opportunity for some Ronaldo style goal stats padding

*if they're already winning, pendants

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Nov 2021 19:57

Said it before but there’s no justification for keeping Oxlade Chamberlain around the squad. He just isn’t even close to being good enough - yet Klopp seems to keep persisting with him in the hope that he may deliver on the promise he showed (10 years ago)

Didn’t think they were at their greatest today but were perhaps on the end of some poor refereeing decisions (even if Salah did throw himself to the floor for the freekick). Alisson could probably have done better on three goals but need to put it down as one of those days

Oh, and if anyone questioned Firmino’s role in the team, there’s your answer, interchange between the midfield and attack was seriously lacking. I think Jota is an OK squad player but he isn’t the same

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 08 Nov 2021 07:25

I’d say most of the country was supporting West Ham, well played.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Nov 2021 07:41

Last nights result seems to have secured West Ham this seasons 'everyones 2nd club' trophy, which I am on board with

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Nov 2021 08:34

URZZZZ Said it before but there’s no justification for keeping Oxlade Chamberlain around the squad. He just isn’t even close to being good enough - yet Klopp seems to keep persisting with him in the hope that he may deliver on the promise he showed (10 years ago)

Didn’t think they were at their greatest today but were perhaps on the end of some poor refereeing decisions (even if Salah did throw himself to the floor for the freekick). Alisson could probably have done better on three goals but need to put it down as one of those days

Oh, and if anyone questioned Firmino’s role in the team, there’s your answer, interchange between the midfield and attack was seriously lacking. I think Jota is an OK squad player but he isn’t the same

On Ox, I don't think he'd be getting minutes but for injuries. Fabinho is only just back, Thiago isn't match fit, and they have Keita, Milner, Jones and Elliott on the sidelines too. You could argue after his EFL Cup showing that Tyler Morton is worth a go ahead of Ox, mind you.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Nov 2021 08:35

Winston Biscuit Last nights result seems to have secured West Ham this seasons 'everyones 2nd club' trophy, which I am on board with

Likewise. They've got City and Chelsea too in their next four games, a chance to really get in the mix.

8640 posts