Hob Nob Legend

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by genome » 11 Sep 2017 09:23

Thought it was a nailed on red myself.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 11 Sep 2017 10:53

Silver Fox There was pretty much a carbon copy of Mane's challenge in today's Swansea v Newcastle game which only received a yellow, presumably because Alfie Mawson stayed up. Possibly confirming the Neviller's thoughts that if Mane had been anywhere else on the pitch he'd have avoided a red

I thought both were red cards

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 11 Sep 2017 15:50

Brum Royal
Silver Fox There was pretty much a carbon copy of Mane's challenge in today's Swansea v Newcastle game which only received a yellow, presumably because Alfie Mawson stayed up. Possibly confirming the Neviller's thoughts that if Mane had been anywhere else on the pitch he'd have avoided a red

But Ritchie stayed on the pitch and they won.
Consistency?
One day Rodney.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Sep 2017 16:02

People do talk rubbish.

If it had been anywhere else on the pitch of course it would still have been a red. In fact it would likely have been universally accepted without a quibble because the misguided comment that "he had to go for it" because it was a goalscoring opportunity would have been completely redundant.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Sep 2017 16:10

Law 12 : Sending-off offences
A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 11 Sep 2017 16:14

Victor Meldrew
Brum Royal

But Ritchie stayed on the pitch and they won.
Consistency?
One day Rodney.

The lack of consistency just makes things worse, both should have been sent off, regardless of the player on the receiving end being injured or not. I don't think either player went with any malice or intent, but there's no mention of intent in the rule book. Both were trying to win the ball but in a wild and dangerous manner (albeit for the right reason) but in doing so had a boot at head height and endangered the opposition player, therefore both should have been given as red cards.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 11 Sep 2017 20:58

Winston Biscuit Law 12 : Sending-off offences
A tackle that endangers the safety of an opponent must be sanctioned as serious foul play

Jesus!

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 12 Sep 2017 05:01

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 12 Sep 2017 08:01

Goalie should face some sort of punishment for placing his head in a poor position

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 12 Sep 2017 09:07

Looking forward to the overhead kick goals being a thing of the past. If it comes off your a hero, but if a defender sticks his head where he's entitled to, red card.

In fact, by the logic of this thread, every single attempted overhead kick should be at least a yellow card. it is after all, dangerous play at the very least.

LWJ
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Hobnob Prediction League Champion 2011/2012, 2020/2021

by LWJ » 12 Sep 2017 11:01

I think because it's studs up that's where the issue lies. He has no control over his the challenge as both feet are off the air.

If he has his studs pointed towards the floor it probably is only a yellow.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 12 Sep 2017 20:38

Tony Le Mesmer Looking forward to the overhead kick goals being a thing of the past. If it comes off your a hero, but if a defender sticks his head where he's entitled to, red card.

In fact, by the logic of this thread, every single attempted overhead kick should be at least a yellow card. it is after all, dangerous play at the very least.

Most players going for overheads these days have a look to check they've got space before doing it. I'm sure I saw someone the other week go to try one and then pull out immediately when he saw a defender nearby going for the ball. So no, it's not necessarily dangerous play.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Sep 2017 09:18

Tony Le Mesmer Looking forward to the overhead kick goals being a thing of the past. If it comes off your a hero, but if a defender sticks his head where he's entitled to, red card.

Yep

Yellow card :|

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 13 Sep 2017 10:03

The point Tony is making, and I don't disagree with him, is that dangerous play is dangerous play - you cant be driven by the end result.

The point that was made about the Mane incident being different had it happened in the centre circle is that you might have had two players going for the ball with their feet. In this instance, Ederson has kind of 'been a keeper', albeit it outside of his area. He's put his body in the way of the ball, which contributed to the collision.

It's a red card. But in the Carroll goal above, is the defender is a foot closer, that might have been deemed foul play.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 13 Sep 2017 10:12

If he was then Carroll probably wouldn't have had the space to try it.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 13 Sep 2017 11:11

Would you rather take the boot in the face from Carroll or Mane?

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 13 Sep 2017 17:13

BR0B0T Would you rather take the boot in the face from Carroll or Mane?

A question best answered by Andy Carroll's girlfriend

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 15 Sep 2017 00:22

From Despair To Where?
BR0B0T Would you rather take the boot in the face from Carroll or Mane?

A question best answered by Andy Carroll's girlfriend

Andy Carroll, because he'd miss.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 16 Sep 2017 15:33

Sanguine The point Tony is making, and I don't disagree with him, is that dangerous play is dangerous play - you cant be driven by the end result.

The point that was made about the Mane incident being different had it happened in the centre circle is that you might have had two players going for the ball with their feet. In this instance, Ederson has kind of 'been a keeper', albeit it outside of his area. He's put his body in the way of the ball, which contributed to the collision.

It's a red card. But in the Carroll goal above, is the defender is a foot closer, that might have been deemed foul play.

And if the defender had been close enough to go for the ball with his head and Carroll still went through with the overhead he'd deserve the card. But the defender wasn't that close going for the ball, so it's a completely worthless point.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 16 Sep 2017 16:35

KLOLaven

8646 posts