LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8629 posts
South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by South Coast Royal » 18 Oct 2020 11:09

URZZZZ
South Coast Royal As posted on the VAR thread-Pickford's challenge was a red and I know my eyesight is not the best but Mane offside?
I have a feeling that Alisson might well have stopped one of the goals but he wasn't there so no use going on about it.

Liverpool were far superior, even without Van Dijk,and the Villa game really does look just like a blip.
So not such a bad result against the table-toppers and good to see the Fenians stuffed at home as well.

If the rumoured 8 months for VVD are true, can’t see Liverpool winning the title

Can’t rely on an injury prone Matip and Gomez (whos been dreadful this season) with a bunch of youngsters through the season

It begs the question, was it a mistake letting Lovren go after all? He wasn’t amazing of course but you’re looking really short there now

Thinking about that this morning.
Lovren was a disaster and brought his nervousness and casualness to players around him and IMHO was never the player he looked in his Southampton days.

I like Matip and believe him to be Liverpool's 2nd best centre-back, far better than Lovren.
Gomez has potential and is quick (good enough for England but that's not saying much).
Fabinho is a good all-rounder and will play at centre-back if and when needed.
Young Rhys Williams has the height, skill and pace and could be a future star but probably needs to bulk up a bit.

Looking around at all the other championship challengers I don't see any of the others having better centre-backs than these first 3 so, although very disappointed for Virgil from a personal and team's perspective they will be weakened and bruised but the damage may well not be terminal.

What is most disappointing about the 2 VAR decisions is not so much the offside because without VAR it was given but on another day without VAR it might have been ruled out so swings and roundabouts.
No, more the fact that the judo kid Pickford stayed on the pitch for attacking Van Dijk.
What a little scrote he is and the sooner England replace him the better.

As for Richarlison's challenge-I'll just say I hope that Tiago's injury is minor as it really was the much overused "potential leg-breaker".

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 18 Oct 2020 11:11

WoodleyRoyal Well I’m all for this injury as i doubt Liverpool will win the title now. Man City do not look the finished article. Chelsea are a shambles at the back, united are a shambles full stop. Arsenal are some way off. Could Everton and spurs make a real challenge for the title?

So, with Dier and Sanchez at the back for Spurs and dodgy Pickford in goal for Everton are you being serious?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 18 Oct 2020 12:06

South Coast Royal
WoodleyRoyal Well I’m all for this injury as i doubt Liverpool will win the title now. Man City do not look the finished article. Chelsea are a shambles at the back, united are a shambles full stop. Arsenal are some way off. Could Everton and spurs make a real challenge for the title?

So, with Dier and Sanchez at the back for Spurs and dodgy Pickford in goal for Everton are you being serious?

By the same token, not sure anyone would have predicted a defence of Wes Morgan and Robert Huth would win the title either

I think Mourinho just needs to accept his team will concede goals and try and out score the opposition. Given the amount of goals they’ve scored already, it seems to be working quite well so far

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 19 Oct 2020 10:07

URZZZZ
South Coast Royal

By the same token, not sure anyone would have predicted a defence of Wes Morgan and Robert Huth would win the title either

I think Mourinho just needs to accept his team will concede goals and try and out score the opposition. Given the amount of goals they’ve scored already, it seems to be working quite well so far

After yesterday I rest my case. :wink:

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 19 Oct 2020 13:39

South Coast Royal
URZZZZ
South Coast Royal As posted on the VAR thread-Pickford's challenge was a red and I know my eyesight is not the best but Mane offside?
I have a feeling that Alisson might well have stopped one of the goals but he wasn't there so no use going on about it.

Liverpool were far superior, even without Van Dijk,and the Villa game really does look just like a blip.
So not such a bad result against the table-toppers and good to see the Fenians stuffed at home as well.

If the rumoured 8 months for VVD are true, can’t see Liverpool winning the title

Can’t rely on an injury prone Matip and Gomez (whos been dreadful this season) with a bunch of youngsters through the season

It begs the question, was it a mistake letting Lovren go after all? He wasn’t amazing of course but you’re looking really short there now

Lovren was a disaster and brought his nervousness and casualness to players around him and IMHO was never the player he looked in his Southampton days.

I like Matip and believe him to be Liverpool's 2nd best centre-back, far better than Lovren.
Gomez has potential and is quick (good enough for England but that's not saying much).
Young Rhys Williams has the height, skill and pace and could be a future star but probably needs to bulk up a bit.

Looking around at all the other championship challengers I don't see any of the others having better centre-backs than these first 3 so, although very disappointed for Virgil from a personal and team's perspective they will be weakened and bruised but the damage may well not be terminal.

What is most disappointing about the 2 VAR decisions is not so much the offside because without VAR it was given but on another day without VAR it might have been ruled out so swings and roundabouts.
No, more the fact that the judo kid Pickford stayed on the pitch for attacking Van Dijk.

As for Richarlison's challenge-I'll just say I hope that Tiago's injury is minor as it really was the much overused "potential leg-breaker".

VvD is arguably the best central defender in the world (whether that remains do after an acl injury remains to be seen). Matip is a top quality defender and Gomes has something about him but is still developing. After selling Lovren quite why Liverpool did not move heaven and earth to get a quality central defender in is beyond me but then the club seems to have “previous” with regards to failing to adequately cover positions and thus making it extremely difficult for themselves to achieve at times.

Instead they’ll now spend the time to January (though I bet they still won’t sign a defender then) mixing and matching any 2 from Gomes, Matip (who seems to get more than his fair share of annoying injuries as well) and Fabinho and consequently will struggle to keep clean sheets.

Think the PL could be wide open this year now. Everton or Villa anyone?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 19 Oct 2020 15:45

Sutekh
South Coast Royal
URZZZZ

VvD is arguably the best central defender in the world (whether that remains do after an acl injury remains to be seen). Matip is a top quality defender and Gomes has something about him but is still developing. After selling Lovren quite why Liverpool did not move heaven and earth to get a quality central defender in is beyond me but then the club seems to have “previous” with regards to failing to adequately cover positions and thus making it extremely difficult for themselves to achieve at times.

Instead they’ll now spend the time to January (though I bet they still won’t sign a defender then) mixing and matching any 2 from Gomes, Matip (who seems to get more than his fair share of annoying injuries as well) and Fabinho and consequently will struggle to keep clean sheets.

To be fair, pretty much every team is looking for that VVD mk2.
If one existed, City, United, possibly Arsenal, Real Madrid would all be after him

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 19 Oct 2020 15:53

Franchise FC
Sutekh
South Coast Royal

If one existed, City, United, possibly Arsenal, Real Madrid would all be after him

He is called Dayot Upamecano, plays for Leipzig, and everyone is after him.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 19 Oct 2020 17:23

Winston Biscuit
Franchise FC
Sutekh

He is called Dayot Upamecano, plays for Leipzig, and everyone is after him.

Upyamumcano more like.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 20 Oct 2020 09:01

URZZZZ

VVD had played every minute in the league for two years. Then you've got Matip, Gomez and Fabinho (who for six months has arguably looked as good at centre-back as he had in midfield). Plus Rhys Williams and Billy Koumetio in the u23s. Can see why they let Lovren go - that's plenty of cover for injuries here and there - you can't really 'prepare' for losing your best player for the season.

Of course a huge blow for Liverpool? Will they cope? I guess we'll see. As above, with their midfield options, I expect Fabinho to play a considerable role at centre-back. And I think he's better equipped to do that long-term than Fernandinho.

One things appears for sure though - the title this season will be won with a 'normal' points tally in the mid-80s.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Oct 2020 09:52

I remember an interview with Arsene Wenger about 20 years ago where he said that 2 pts per game was the benchmark for a title challenge. When was the last time 76pts got you anywhere near the title?

I think Everton can seriously challenge for a CL spot. They are quietly building a very good squad and have an excellent manager.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 21 Oct 2020 10:36

From Despair To Where? I remember an interview with Arsene Wenger about 20 years ago where he said that 2 pts per game was the benchmark for a title challenge. When was the last time 76pts got you anywhere near the title?

I think Everton can seriously challenge for a CL spot. They are quietly building a very good squad and have an excellent manager.

Arsenal came 2nd with 71 points in the season where Leicester won it with 81.

Depends how you look at it. In 17/18, City won the league with 100 points, but any total over the 81 points that United got in second would have been enough.

Season - points required to win title, points required to come 2nd.

2017/18 - 82, 78
2016/17 - 87, 79
2015/16 - 72, 71
2014/15 - 80, 76
2013/14 - 85, 83
2013/13 - 79, 76

2 poiints a game is certainly going to put you up there.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Oct 2020 10:48

Fair enough but of those examples, even in the best case scenario, 76 points would have still left you 5 points adrift of the Champions. I remember Wenger's context being that 2 points a game should win you the title. I guess now that the gap between the top 6 and every one else widens, thet figure goes up which is why its nice to see someone like Leicester gatecrash the party.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 21 Oct 2020 13:36

From Despair To Where? Fair enough but of those examples, even in the best case scenario, 76 points would have still left you 5 points adrift of the Champions. I remember Wenger's context being that 2 points a game should win you the title. I guess now that the gap between the top 6 and every one else widens, thet figure goes up which is why its nice to see someone like Leicester gatecrash the party.

2 points for the title has been absolute hogwash in the PL for 20 years or so as it’s now skewed with an elite set of clubs that generally consistently beat all the lesser sides so therefore it’s nearer 2.25pts per game which is, I think, around 85 points. And, if things carry on like they are with eg. City and Liverpool even that could change to 2.5 points a game or higher.

However 2 points a game to win the league should generally still hold true in the proper competitive leagues (eg. divs 2, 3, 4 and below).

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 21 Oct 2020 14:10

From Despair To Where? Fair enough but of those examples, even in the best case scenario, 76 points would have still left you 5 points adrift of the Champions. I remember Wenger's context being that 2 points a game should win you the title. I guess now that the gap between the top 6 and every one else widens, thet figure goes up which is why its nice to see someone like Leicester gatecrash the party.

in the mid to late '90s, 2 points a game wasn't far off

for example, in the 97/98 season Arsenal's 77 points to Utd's 76 etc

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Oct 2020 14:22

Sutekh

2 points for the title has been absolute hogwash in the PL for 20 years or so as it’s now skewed with an elite set of clubs that generally consistently beat all the lesser sides so therefore it’s nearer 2.25pts per game which is, I think, around 85 points. And, if things carry on like they are with eg. City and Liverpool even that could change to 2.5 points a game or higher.

However 2 points a game to win the league should generally still hold true in the proper competitive leagues (eg. divs 2, 3, 4 and below).

As I said, I was quoting Wenger from 20 years ago. It was an observation of how things have changed and how the league, IMO, has got less xompetative at the top end.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 27 Oct 2020 21:39

Getting desperate defensively for Liverpool, Fabinho off after half an hour of their CL game.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 27 Oct 2020 22:42

Sutekh Getting desperate defensively for Liverpool, Fabinho off after half an hour of their CL game.

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 27 Oct 2020 22:49

BR0B0T
Sutekh Getting desperate defensively for Liverpool, Fabinho off after half an hour of their CL game.

Where are you in the league?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 28 Oct 2020 00:05

Simmops
BR0B0T

6 points off top with a game in hand against Burnley

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 28 Oct 2020 02:29

BR0B0T
Simmops
BR0B0T

6 points off top with a game in hand against Burnley

So, LOLower then?