LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8628 posts
BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by BR0B0T » 16 Aug 2019 14:24

Sanguine Bizarre football injuries #3012 - Andy Lonergan may become the oldest English Premier League debutant, at nearly 36, this weekend, after Adrian suffered an ankle injury celebrating his shootout save in the Super Cup. Watch for the invading fan arriving at 0:30 and accidentally taking him out...

https://twitter.com/ReaazAhmed/status/1 ... 2741496832

This is what I meant about injuries...NO ONE was thinking that LFC might have a goaLOLkeeper crisis at the start of the season

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 16 Aug 2019 14:31

Tbf no club losing their first and second choice keepers in the first two games of the season is going to have huge amounts of cover. Except Man City. Scott Carson must be enviously glancing Liverpool's way. United would turn to Lee Grant, I guess, who has managed to play even less in the last few seasons than Andy Lonergan.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Aug 2019 15:30

The Enfield Royal71 I still find it hilarious how he has the same amount of European medals as Buffon.

I mean yes, but Buffon also has a World Cup winners medal.

The Enfield Royal71
Hob Nob Regular

by The Enfield Royal71 » 16 Aug 2019 15:43

Hendo
The Enfield Royal71 I still find it hilarious how he has the same amount of European medals as Buffon.

Ok Ian :roll:

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 16 Aug 2019 17:37

Sanguine Tbf no club losing their first and second choice keepers in the first two games of the season is going to have huge amounts of cover. Except Man City. Scott Carson must be enviously glancing Liverpool's way. United would turn to Lee Grant, I guess, who has managed to play even less in the last few seasons than Andy Lonergan.

Don't you have another keeper out injured at the mo as well?

Pretty much agreeing with you m8! Just highlighting its stuff like this that means the top 4 has never been the same (Prem) in consecutive seasons

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 16 Aug 2019 17:44

The Enfield Royal71
Hendo

Ok Ian :roll:

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 28 Aug 2019 12:13

As somehow nothing has been said about this season's 100% record so far I thought I might express my view that they could actually stay at the top for the rest of the season.
Although early in the season the Mighty Reds and City look again to be miles better than the rest.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 28 Aug 2019 12:16

Victor Meldrew As somehow nothing has been said about this season's 100% record so far I thought I might express my view that they could actually stay at the top for the rest of the season.
Although early in the season the Mighty Reds and City look again to be miles better than the rest.

Liverpool and City do look a class above. What struck me about the game at the weekend is that unlike in the previous two seasons, Arsenal actually came to Anfield and performed reasonably well. Yes, Emery's defensive tactics were awful, he gave the full-backs too much space, but equally none of the goals resulted from that. They played okay. And that's got to be worrying, that essentially Arsenal, one of the best teams in the country, played well, too the game to Liverpool, and so Liverpool just stepped it up for 20 minutes after half-time and put the game out of reach.

Arsenal's best wasn't as good as a Liverpool that only hit top gear for a quarter of the match.

And that description generally goes for most games City play too.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 Aug 2019 13:05

Sanguine
Victor Meldrew As somehow nothing has been said about this season's 100% record so far I thought I might express my view that they could actually stay at the top for the rest of the season.

Liverpool and City do look a class above. What struck me about the game at the weekend is that unlike in the previous two seasons, Arsenal actually came to Anfield and performed reasonably well. Yes, Emery's defensive tactics were awful, he gave the full-backs too much space, but equally none of the goals resulted from that. They played okay. And that's got to be worrying, that essentially Arsenal, one of the best teams in the country, played well, too the game to Liverpool, and so Liverpool just stepped it up for 20 minutes after half-time and put the game out of reach.

Arsenal's best wasn't as good as a Liverpool that only hit top gear for a quarter of the match.

And that description generally goes for most games City play too.

You look at the early weeks of the PL and it "could" be a great season there as about 18 of the clubs seem capable of beating each other - but Liverpool and City only look like dropping points due to their own wastefulness - the gap between Liverpool and Chelsea last season was 25points - wonder what odds you can get on that being bigger this year.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 28 Aug 2019 13:18

Stranded
You look at the early weeks of the PL and it "could" be a great season there as about 18 of the clubs seem capable of beating each other - but Liverpool and City only look like dropping points due to their own wastefulness - the gap between Liverpool and Chelsea last season was 25points - wonder what odds you can get on that being bigger this year.

Indeed. City's draw at Spurs is the only two points either side have dropped since Liverpool drew 0-0 at Everton on 3rd March, 12 rounds of games.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 28 Aug 2019 19:27

Sanguine
Stranded

Indeed. City's draw at Spurs is the only two points either side have dropped since Liverpool drew 0-0 at Everton on 3rd March, 12 rounds of games.

Calm down...you’ve played Southampton and Norwich and looked shakey at the back

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 28 Aug 2019 19:39

BR0B0T
Sanguine
Stranded

When you have the best front 3 in the country the occasional goal against isn't that important.
It was probably the best defence in the country last season and even if at times "shakey" it could turn out to be the best again bearing in mind that defences in the Premier League are not very good and why so many players love coming here (apart from the high earnings) as there are such easy pickings.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 29 Aug 2019 10:18

BR0B0T
Sanguine
Stranded

You ok m9?
It's a fair summation of the opening couple of weeks. Liverpool's shakiness at the back has delivered a 100% record and a Super Cup, and City would be on nine points too but for VAR shenanigans.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 29 Aug 2019 10:39

Sanguine
BR0B0T
Sanguine

You ok m9?
It's a fair summation of the opening couple of weeks. Liverpool's shakiness at the back has delivered a 100% record and a Super Cup, and City would be on nine points too but for VAR shenanigans.

you've played sides who are likely to be in a relegation battle and Arsenal at Anfield (guaranteed 3 points)

Just out of interest how do Liverpool beat teams who park the bus? You haven't really got a Pirlo/Scholes/Iniesta type player so does Salah's dribbling do it? I suppose you have good crossers in the team (both full-backs etc) and Matip VVD at set-pieces.

I only ask because I'm tired of watching Utd sat just outside the opponent's box with seemingly no-idea

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 01 Sep 2019 18:44

BR0B0T
Sanguine
BR0B0T

You ok m9?

you've played sides who are likely to be in a relegation battle and Arsenal at Anfield (guaranteed 3 points)

Just out of interest how do Liverpool beat teams who park the bus? You haven't really got a Pirlo/Scholes/Iniesta type player so does Salah's dribbling do it? I suppose you have good crossers in the team (both full-backs etc) and Matip VVD at set-pieces.

I only ask because I'm tired of watching Utd sat just outside the opponent's box with seemingly no-idea

I think yesterday Liverpool showed how to do it.
In the days of Kanchelsis & co Man Utd used to break at lightning pace and just storm through defences-Liverpool are now doing the same rather than rely on slow build-up which allow defences to just drop back and crowd out the opposition attackers.

Man Utd may have some pace in Rashford and Martial but their ball skills and football brains are a long way short of Liverpool's current front 3 .

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 01 Sep 2019 19:10

Victor Meldrew
BR0B0T
Sanguine
You ok m9?

In the days of Kanchelsis & co Man Utd used to break at lightning pace and just storm through defences-Liverpool are now doing the same rather than rely on slow build-up which allow defences to just drop back and crowd out the opposition attackers.

Man Utd may have some pace in Rashford and Martial but their ball skills and football brains are a long way short of Liverpool's current front 3 .

Rashford is a donkey. Martial is a baller though esp know he's playing in his prefered central position

Talking more of when teams just stick 10 men behind the ball and don't even really come out

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 02 Sep 2019 09:25

I guess we'll find out. I think that's been consigned to the bin anyway, at least for now. 13 wins in a row isn't an accident, and few teams set out to attack Liverpool. Robertson, TAA and pace make the difference there. It's very difficult to park the bus when they go from defence to attack in a couple of seconds, and when your penalty box is bombarded with 50 crosses a game.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Sep 2019 10:46

BR0B0T
Victor Meldrew
BR0B0T

Rashford is a donkey. Martial is a baller though esp know he's playing in his prefered central position

Talking more of when teams just stick 10 men behind the ball and don't even really come out

I think you are the first Man Utd fan who has come out and said anything similar about Rashford.
IMHO this guy has been talked up way above his level of ability probably because when he burst on the scene both Man Utd and England were in the doldrums so anything fresh was seized upon.
A good player Yes but far from being the great one that all the top European clubs supposedly
would be desperate to sign.

This talking up of players happens so much in football-remember when Jones and Smalling were going to be England regulars for years to come?
Remember Eric Dier?
Now we have Tyrone Mings and Harry Winks-average players but somehow included in the latest England squad based on what?

I love Trent AA but the same is happening with him-he could be something special but (like Walker and Tripper before him) is a right-back who is as yet is not as great defensively as he is further up field.
The lad Man Utd spent £50 million on from Palace is IMHO the direct opposite-a good defender but clueless when he gets past the half way line.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Sep 2019 10:29

Thank goodness the dreadful decision by Marriner not to give a penalty made no difference to the result.
The mighty reds go marching on but have a difficult game away at Chelsea next week but win that and I think they will now become favourites with Laporte out for City for 6 months.
How bad is John Stones?

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 15 Sep 2019 15:24

Victor Meldrew Thank goodness the dreadful decision by Marriner not to give a penalty made no difference to the result.
The mighty reds go marching on but have a difficult game away at Chelsea next week but win that and I think they will now become favourites with Laporte out for City for 6 months.
How bad is John Stones?

You used to rate him as well...

8628 posts