LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

8628 posts
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: LOLiverpooLOL - Next Season

by sandman » 02 Oct 2019 18:30

Silver Fox Franchise is right, if Liverpool go on to win the title this year they should definitely turn down the trophy because some keepers have made errors against them

That's a bit extreme.

However, it would be nice if they could get winners medals for the opposition keepers as thanks for their massive contribution to Liverpool's triumph.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 03 Oct 2019 12:57

sandman However, it would be nice if they could get winners medals for the opposition keepers as thanks for their massive contribution to Liverpool's triumph.

I wonder if Nigel Worthington got a medal for every subsequent United trophy after playing such a vital part in their first title win by just looking the other way as United's equaliser sailed over his head in 1993.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 03 Oct 2019 22:35

Hoop Blah
sandman However, it would be nice if they could get winners medals for the opposition keepers as thanks for their massive contribution to Liverpool's triumph.

I wonder if Nigel Worthington got a medal for every subsequent United trophy after playing such a vital part in their first title win by just looking the other way as United's equaliser sailed over his head in 1993.

Definitely should have done.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 03 Oct 2019 22:40

sandman
Hoop Blah

Definitely should have done.

Nigel Worthington, the ex Northern Ireland manager???

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 04 Oct 2019 09:00

Yep. 1:30 on this clip. Clearly already on holiday and barely shaken out of his daydream by Brian McClair trying to break both his ankles in the aftermath.

https://youtu.be/cm9CzcbHzlY

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 04 Oct 2019 09:08

:D :D :D Never noticed that before. It is one of the most casual things I have ever seen, world class.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 04 Oct 2019 09:16

From Despair To Where? Yep. 1:30 on this clip. Clearly already on holiday and barely shaken out of his daydream by Brian McClair trying to break both his ankles in the aftermath.

proper :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Oct 2019 10:28

BR0B0T
From Despair To Where? Yep. 1:30 on this clip. Clearly already on holiday and barely shaken out of his daydream by Brian McClair trying to break both his ankles in the aftermath.

proper :lol: :lol: :lol:

And that goal built the dynasty! Worthington also set up the winner with by deflecting the cross, something I hadn't noticed before.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 05 Oct 2019 14:43

A tricky fixture for Liverpool today v Leicester.
Going back as far as the 60s Leicester has always been a bit of a bogey team.
I do think that Leicester's weaker defence could prove to be the decisive factor but shortly we will find out if Liverpool can maintain this fantastic run.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 05 Oct 2019 22:50

Victor Meldrew A tricky fixture for Liverpool today v Leicester.
I do think that Leicester's weaker defence could prove to be the decisive factor but shortly we will find out if Liverpool can maintain this fantastic run.

we can put your diving comments to bed, right?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 06 Oct 2019 11:06

BR0B0T

No-nearly all players go over at the slightest touch, see also Bournemouth's Fraser, Wilson and King, Man Utd's Rashford and Lingaard, Spurs' Kane, Palace's Zaha etc., etc.
At least now with VAR there is a second opinion so a blatant dive will not yield a penalty.

Liverpool played quite well yesterday and squandered loads of chances so it's no surprise to see them win again and this time against one of the better sides.
What I like is that, yesterday in particular, they play hard till the final whistle and is the stuff of champions akin to what happened with that Aguero goal v QPR and Steve Bruce's 100 minute+ goal v Sheff Wednesday.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 06 Oct 2019 11:14

Victor Meldrew
BR0B0T

No-nearly all players go over at the slightest touch, see also Bournemouth's Fraser, Wilson and King, Man Utd's Rashford and Lingaard, Spurs' Kane, Palace's Zaha etc., etc.
At least now with VAR there is a second opinion so a blatant dive will not yield a penalty.

Liverpool played quite well yesterday and squandered loads of chances so it's no surprise to see them win again and this time against one of the better sides.
What I like is that, yesterday in particular, they play hard till the final whistle and is the stuff of champions akin to what happened with that Aguero goal v QPR and Steve Bruce's 100 minute+ goal v Sheff Wednesday.

fair play, they're doing well but that was a definite dive from Mane.

Contact...another touch...rem's to dive

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 06 Oct 2019 19:47

Victor Meldrew At least now with VAR there is a second opinion so a blatant dive will not yield a penalty.

The way VAR is being used in the Premier League I can't see a dive ever being picked up and overturned, however blatant*.

* waiting for someone to point one out that's already happened and I've not noticed!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 06 Oct 2019 21:24

Victor Meldrew At least now with VAR there is a second opinion so a blatant dive will not yield a penalty.

You what? A Spurs player literally chokeslammed Rodri earlier this season and VAR didn't give a penalty.

That's just the most blatant example, they only use it on offsides.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Oct 2019 10:04

I absolute love how bitter people are getting about Liverpool's winning run. I did wonder to myself back in the day when United got a load of vitriol when they were winning everything, and then how City have copped a load over the last couple of seasons - surely fans will grow up one day? Of course not. We all just hate successful teams, don't we?

Mane was fouled. It was a penalty. Tough on Leicester (although xG was something like 3.5 - 0.9), but that's how it goes.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Oct 2019 10:06

xG....... :|

So, so lame.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 07 Oct 2019 10:08

Old Man Andrews xG....... :|

So, so lame.

Care to elaborate?

It's a pretty complex formula - not supposed to show anything definitive, just that if you played the match as it happened n times, then you'd expect that result. It's a particularly good tool for understanding goalkeeper contribution, i.e. splitting Federici's saves for TV highlights reels from actual brilliant stops.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Oct 2019 10:09

Sanguine

So, so lame.

Care to elaborate?

It's a pretty complex formula - not supposed to show anything definitive, just that if you played the match as it happened n times, then you'd expect that result.

No I just think its largely pointless when we have eyes and can see what happens. Each to their own though, I'm just old fashioned.

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 07 Oct 2019 11:29

Sanguine

So, so lame.

Care to elaborate?

It's a pretty complex formula - not supposed to show anything definitive, just that if you played the match as it happened n times, then you'd expect that result. It's a particularly good tool for understanding goalkeeper contribution, i.e. splitting Federici's saves for TV highlights reels from actual brilliant stops.

xG also outperforms goals scored when pricing games up i.e. it's more reflective of the actual strength of teams

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 07 Oct 2019 11:31

Old Man Andrews
Sanguine

So, so lame.

Care to elaborate?

It's a pretty complex formula - not supposed to show anything definitive, just that if you played the match as it happened n times, then you'd expect that result.

No I just think its largely pointless when we have eyes and can see what happens. Each to their own though, I'm just old fashioned.

human bias creeps in

8628 posts