CheLOLsea

9597 posts
From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

Re: CheLOLsea

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Aug 2020 07:12

Hendo Tbf, when you say top tier striker coming over to the UK and failing, it is hard to look past Shevchenko.

127 goals in 208 for AC Milan
9 goals in 48 for Chelsea

If you're just looking at Chelsea, there's also Mutu, Kezman and Torres.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 29 Aug 2020 08:56

From Despair To Where?
Hendo Tbf, when you say top tier striker coming over to the UK and failing, it is hard to look past Shevchenko.

127 goals in 208 for AC Milan
9 goals in 48 for Chelsea

If you're just looking at Chelsea, there's also Mutu, Kezman and Torres.

Harsh on Torres as he was class at Liverpool when he first came over, but yeah the move to Chelsea really made him go downhill for whatever reason.

Also wouldn’t put Mutu and Kezman in the top tier of strikers like Shevchenko.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 29 Aug 2020 10:42

It was more that they were big signings at the time. Mutu wasn't really a central striker but Kezman certainly came with a growing reputation and a phenominal record at PSV, but if you start the discussion with Forlan, they are worthy of consideration

I suppose you could add to that list Spurs players like Pavlyuchenko and that Spanish fella who's name escapes me that they bought after selling Bale as players who came with big or growing reputations who also bombed in England.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 29 Aug 2020 10:55

Soldado

Funnily enough, if Soldado hadn't bombed, then Harry Kane wouldn't have had a chance in the first team.

Ascotexgunner
Hob Nob Addict

by Ascotexgunner » 07 Sep 2020 20:56

Spent 230 million pounds so far and now talking about going above 300 mill......how the hell does that get through FFP? They don't make that kind of money.
Feel sorry for the youngsters, thought they have made it in the first team and then finding themselves back on the bench or out on loan.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 07 Sep 2020 21:08

Ascotexgunner Spent 230 million pounds so far and now talking about going above 300 mill......how the hell does that get through FFP? They don't make that kind of money.
Feel sorry for the youngsters, thought they have made it in the first team and then finding themselves back on the bench or out on loan.

They didn't spend anything for a season and had over £100m in their back pockets from the Hazard sale. Also got rid of Willian off the books which freed up some wages.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Sep 2020 08:27

Ascotexgunner Spent 230 million pounds so far and now talking about going above 300 mill......how the hell does that get through FFP? They don't make that kind of money.

Yep, it is arguable that Chelsea's transfer ban is giving them a bit of an unfair advantage this time round - they were unable to spend in normal times and as a result are pretty much the only top level club with huge amounts of disposable income this time round. Pressure will be on Lampard to deliver though given what they have spent - needs a tilt at the title this year I would suggest.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Sep 2020 08:31

Stranded

Yep, it is arguable that Chelsea's transfer ban is giving them a bit of an unfair advantage this time round - they were unable to spend in normal times and as a result are pretty much the only top level club with huge amounts of disposable income this time round. Pressure will be on Lampard to deliver though given what they have spent - needs a tilt at the title this year I would suggest.

Quite fancy them in the Champions League, think the players they have will be able to hit the ground running with the slower pace that they are used to. Bet their odds are decent for winning the Champions League, will stick a few quid on.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Sep 2020 08:53

Old Man Andrews
Stranded

Quite fancy them in the Champions League, think the players they have will be able to hit the ground running with the slower pace that they are used to. Bet their odds are decent for winning the Champions League, will stick a few quid on.

20/1 for champions league with Bet365

10/1 for premier league

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Sep 2020 08:58

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Stranded

10/1 for premier league

20/1 is an awesome price when you consider their squad.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Sep 2020 10:17

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews Quite fancy them in the Champions League, think the players they have will be able to hit the ground running with the slower pace that they are used to. Bet their odds are decent for winning the Champions League, will stick a few quid on.

10/1 for premier league

Same price as Man Utd, which does seem a bit odd. I’d certainly back Chelsea over Utd, although I think both still come unstuck with their defensive issues and I guess it only takes one calamitous game in the knockout stages for it to be over.

Juve at 14s are pretty good value, imo.

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Sep 2020 10:20

Hendo
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

10/1 for premier league

Same price as Man Utd, which does seem a bit odd. I’d certainly back Chelsea over Utd, although I think both still come unstuck with their defensive issues and I guess it only takes one calamitous game in the knockout stages for it to be over.

Not to be ageist or anything the Juve squad age concerns me a bit in terms of playing a league match then a Champions League match in quick succession. Can Ronaldo keep going the way he has been? Surely at some point father time will catch up with him.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 08 Sep 2020 10:27

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews 20/1 is an awesome price when you consider their squad.

Not to be ageist or anything the Juve squad age concerns me a bit in terms of playing a league match then a Champions League match in quick succession. Can Ronaldo keep going the way he has been? Surely at some point father time will catch up with him.

It certainly is on the older side, that is true. Who knows with Ronaldo, the guys a freak and if there was a player to drag a team to overachieve, it would be him.

You’ve still got de Ligt, Dybala, Bentancur and Rabiot all of good age but with great experience.

Will be interesting to see how they get on.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 08 Sep 2020 11:04

Yeah that Juve price for the CL looks tempting, not least with Suarez apparently on his way there.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Sep 2020 12:07

Old Man Andrews
Hendo
Old Man Andrews Quite fancy them in the Champions League, think the players they have will be able to hit the ground running with the slower pace that they are used to. Bet their odds are decent for winning the Champions League, will stick a few quid on.

10/1 for premier league

Chelsea won’t win the PL or Champions league with Kepa in goal, fact

As far as I’m aware, he’s still their main goalie, if they get that sorted and perhaps one more CB, they have a shot at it

Suppose Silva could be the answer alongside Rudiger but Tomori, Zouma and Christensen aren’t good enough

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 08 Sep 2020 12:11

URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews
Hendo

10/1 for premier league

As far as I’m aware, he’s still their main goalie, if they get that sorted and perhaps one more CB, they have a shot at it

Suppose Silva could be the answer alongside Rudiger but Tomori, Zouma and Christensen aren’t good enough

Remember that De Gea came good in the end. I don't see the same level of potential in Kepa but you never know. Being very young and being the most expensive goalkeeper in world football is a huge pressure. Think he needs to grow up a bit a fill out, gain some muslce and go from there. They are still after a goalkeeper too, the Rennes keeper Edouard Mendy.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Sep 2020 12:17

Old Man Andrews
URZZZZ
Old Man Andrews 20/1 is an awesome price when you consider their squad.

Remember that De Gea came good in the end. I don't see the same level of potential in Kepa but you never know. Being very young and being the most expensive goalkeeper in world football is a huge pressure. Think he needs to grow up a bit a fill out, gain some muslce and go from there. They are still after a goalkeeper too, the Rennes keeper Edouard Mendy.

Perhaps but think this is his fourth season now, and he hasn’t really developed at all so far

The thing is with Kepa, he doesn’t seem to make many clangers as such unlike De Gea at first. He just doesn’t seem able to save any half decent shot and he’s so uncommanding IMO. If he is to be Chelsea’s starting GK this season, he’ll be under huge pressure, will really need a good start

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 08 Sep 2020 13:08

Rudiger is an appalling defender too, whoever they get in goal will be hard pushed to cover for him

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 08 Sep 2020 13:42

Silver Fox Rudiger is an appalling defender too, whoever they get in goal will be hard pushed to cover for him

He’s not great but best of a bad bunch IMO

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 09 Sep 2020 13:56

Yeah, I wonder how much of Kepa's struggle is down to those in front of him. 'The Szczsney Paradox' where as soon as he leaves a sieve-like defence, he looks a better player.

9597 posts