The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8673 posts
Old Man Andrews

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Old Man Andrews » 18 Nov 2019 13:38

John Smith Sol Campbell making an absolute dog's dinner of the Southend job thus far. However it would take only a fool to write him off - I still think they will get out of it, possibly at the expense of Lincoln who really need to sort themselves out.

I don't see them getting out of it John but I think the club knew that already. Sol is the guy to get them out of League 2 next season.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 18 Nov 2019 14:31

happy to put myself up as fool by writing off Southend. They are abysmal.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 19 Nov 2019 10:02

Winston Biscuit happy to put myself up as fool by writing off Southend. They are abysmal.

Could well be on for record low points this season. Will be bottom before long with Bolton currently on a run of 3 straight wins.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 19 Nov 2019 12:34

Luis Enrique back to being Spain manager following the death of his daughter.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50471015

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Nov 2019 19:40

POCH SACKED!!!

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 19 Nov 2019 20:07

5 years
0 trophies
Bottom half of the table

No arguments otherwise, surely?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 19 Nov 2019 20:10

URZZZZ 5 years
0 trophies
Bottom half of the table

No arguments otherwise, surely?

Just don't think his heart was in it anymore, seemed very downbeat all season. Definitely stuff going on behind the scenes we don't know about I think.

Man Utd would be wise to come and get him.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 19 Nov 2019 20:15

Mourinho Favourite

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Nov 2019 06:29

WoodleyRoyal Mourinho Favourite

Indeed, I reckon he’ll be in in time for Spurs’ Saturday lunch time trip to West Ham

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 20 Nov 2019 06:38

Mourinho appointed. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: poor old Spurs!

John Madejski's Wallet
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Anyone who lives within their means shows a serious lack of imagination

by John Madejski's Wallet » 20 Nov 2019 07:36

Talk about a mismatch :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Nov 2019 08:16

Royal Rother Mourinho appointed. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: poor old Spurs!

That's just a bizarre appointment.

John Madejski's Wallet Talk about a mismatch :lol:

Exactly. At least at United they shared a willingness to splash the cash on established stars, even if their style and approach to how the game should be played were polar opposites.

At Spurs they want attractive football, bringing through the youth and Levy keeps a tight hold on the purse strings. Mourinho is the complete opposite. I can see this ending in tears, albeit with perhaps a League Cup win thrown in to soften the blow IF he lasts that long (which I doubt).

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Nov 2019 08:22

Hoop Blah

Exactly. At least at United they shared a willingness to splash the cash on established stars, even if their style and approach to how the game should be played were polar opposites.

At Spurs they want attractive football, bringing through the youth and Levy keeps a tight hold on the purse strings. Mourinho is the complete opposite. I can see this ending in tears, albeit with perhaps a League Cup win thrown in to soften the blow IF he lasts that long (which I doubt).

To me it says Levy just wants to win things now, Mourinho is a proven winner. In hindsight he did a fantastic job at United with those players to come 2nd in the League.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 20 Nov 2019 08:31

Old Man Andrews
Hoop Blah

To me it says Levy just wants to win things now, Mourinho is a proven winner. In hindsight he did a fantastic job at United with those players to come 2nd in the League.

Levy may want to win things but he has been the problem at Spurs as far as moving to the next level - by playing some of his transfer games he has failed to move a lot of players on and the current malaise is because they haven't refreshed their squad in a couple of years and have a number of players who don't want to be there but still need to be involved.

Getting Mourinho in may suggest a sea change as far as signings is concerned but the issue of getting players out will remain.

For this to work, either Mourinho or Levy need to change their way of working and both, historically, seem like very stubborn men. Mourinho's star has waned (he wouldn't be going to Spurs if it hadn't) so maybe he will be the one to shift? Seems unlikely.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Nov 2019 09:22

Old Man Andrews ...In hindsight he did a fantastic job at United with those players to come 2nd in the League.

I disagree to an extent. That side he had was pretty decent and just looks worse in hindsight because of how badly things went wrong once Mourinho and the players copped the hump, the dynamic massively changed and, to be fair, some just got a bit old.

I think De Gea was still awesome that season, and that made quite the difference. Herra and Matic (he'd played a key role in Chelsea winning the league the season before) were both pretty good and gave Pogba a platform to do well too. For all his faults Chris Smalling was a decent centre back and has won the league twice and in Lukaka and Martial he had two players who are capable of, and were, scoring a decent number of goals.

Obviously they were shit the year before, so you have to give him credit for that 2nd place, I'm just not convinced it was that fantastic a job considering the resources they had.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 20 Nov 2019 09:28

Genuinely hope it's an absolute car crash of an appointment

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Nov 2019 09:32

Mourinho is a great manager and good for the English game. I think he will be a roaring success.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Nov 2019 09:50

Old Man Andrews Mourinho is a great manager and good for the English game. I think he will be a roaring success.

You misspelt was OMA...

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 20 Nov 2019 09:50

Old Man Andrews Mourinho is a great manager and good for the English game. I think he will be a roaring success.

rare agreed

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 20 Nov 2019 09:55

Hoop Blah

You misspelt was OMA...

Think we will only know for sure when we see what he does at Spurs, there is no reason that squad shouldn't be doing well. United are clearly a basketcase and he wasn't backed properly. We have seen how Ole has struggled to get a tune out of them so I don't think it was just a Mourinho issue at United, it was the club as a whole.

8673 posts