by Simmops » 01 Jan 2020 23:41

Pearson doing wonders at watford

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by John Smith » 02 Jan 2020 14:14

ayjaydee
John Smith
Hendo Looks like Nigel Pearson has come into being favourite for the Watford job.

Bit late to this one but what an exceptional appointment this is. Really goes to show how careless we were in missing out and siding with Bowen when a man of Pearson's calibre was available. They very nearly won the game at Anfield and look like a new team. I am confident of their survival now.

The bookies don’t agree, they have them at 1/5 to be relegated, joint favourites with Norwich. I’m with the bookies, can’t see Pearson getting them out of this mess.

This really didn't age well did it.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 02 Jan 2020 17:20

John Smith
ayjaydee
John Smith Bit late to this one but what an exceptional appointment this is. Really goes to show how careless we were in missing out and siding with Bowen when a man of Pearson's calibre was available. They very nearly won the game at Anfield and look like a new team. I am confident of their survival now.

The bookies don’t agree, they have them at 1/5 to be relegated, joint favourites with Norwich. I’m with the bookies, can’t see Pearson getting them out of this mess.

This really didn't age well did it.

Takes wine a little longer than two weeks to age.

To be fair, they're not out of the mess yet, but he can't have asked for much more.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 02 Jan 2020 19:42

I wonder if Eddie Howe will be next to go.
It does look as though his players are without direction at the moment after 2 stuffings to nil at lowly Brighton and even more lowly West Ham.

Sack the manager?
Watford have done it and improved.
Everton have done it and improved
West Ham have done it and improved enough to thrash Bournemouth.

Injuries have been mentioned a lot but they have quite a big squad and only possibly 3 of the injured would have played at West Ham.
He has spent a lot of money but his successes have mainly been with buys costing less or with players who have been around for a long time and this season their football has become stale..

He has been the media darling for some time and been talked up IMHO way above his capabilities but as an ex-defender he has done surprisingly badly with the defensive set-ups of his sides and that is why I think some of the bigger clubs have not been prepared to take a chance on him.

Bournemouth's next few games are against teams in a similar relegation threatened league position but they will have to buck up to even get points against the likes of Norwich and Watford.

Worrying times for the Cherries fans and manager who have been on the crest of a wave for the past 7 years but when you spend £20,000,000 on Solanke (20 games and 0 goals) £13,000,000 on Ibe, £25,000,000 on Lerma, (All he does is get booked), £15,000,000 on Billing, £10.000,000 on Rico, £10,000,000 on Mepham etc., etc, questions are bound to be asked when you now sit 3rd from bottom.

John Smith
Hob Nob Regular

by John Smith » 03 Jan 2020 10:38

Victor Meldrew I wonder if Eddie Howe will be next to go.
It does look as though his players are without direction at the moment after 2 stuffings to nil at lowly Brighton and even more lowly West Ham.

Sack the manager?

I think so. I think Bournemouth are falling into Wigan/Swansea/Stoke territory: have done exceptionally well in a prolonged spell in the Prem but have now outstayed their welcome and will find their natural home again. Without Howe.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Jan 2020 10:43

Would love Bournemouth to go down

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Jan 2020 11:21

Winston Biscuit Would love Bournemouth to go down

Obviously I feel the same.
Having lived here and seen the rise and rise of the football club I acknowledge a massive streak of envy because, at the same time, we have slipped back to lower-mid Championship.

Don't get me wrong, I respect what a great job the manager and the owner have done-it is Oxford United, Swindon, Northampton and Barnsley all over again but where it is different is the money.

Bournemouth were fined £9,000,000 for breaking FFP rules when they got promoted and the owner has come up with more and more Russian money to keep the club in the Premier League-something that didn't happen for those previously mentioned clubs nor, dare I say it at our beloved RFC.
There is nothing wrong with that but it is all very well speculating on young players from lower division clubs ( which is of course a good policy) but in the Premier League the extra skill is managing expensive players from bigger English clubs or from overseas and that is where Eddie has failed.

One final thing-style of play.
When they were first promoted they played a quick attacking passing game, much in the way we did that first time under Coppell and players bought to play at the lower levels excelled themselves.
Fast forward to now and the excruciating fact is that in the 3 games v Burnley, Brighton and West Ham they have had a TOTAL of one shot on target and yet the locals here dare to criticise Sean Dyche who ,IMHO, gets so little praise for keeping Burnley in the Premier League on a much lower budget than most and specifically much lower than Bournemouth.

Because of where they have come from Eddie has god-like status but , as we discovered with Sir Steve, miracles are not constantly achievable so it will be interesting to see if Howe survives -I think he probably will as the Russian owner sees the club as a fun play thing and somewhere to go on a Saturday afternoon with his drinking mates (legendary bar bills ) so survival is not so serious as it might be treated at some other clubs.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 03 Jan 2020 11:25

Victor Meldrew

Having lived here and seen the rise and rise of the football club I acknowledge a massive streak of envy because, at the same time, we have slipped back to lower-mid Championship.

Don't get me wrong, I respect what a great job the manager and the owner have done-it is Oxford United, Swindon, Northampton and Barnsley all over again but where it is different is the money.

Bournemouth were fined £9,000,000 for breaking FFP rules when they got promoted and the owner has come up with more and more Russian money to keep the club in the Premier League-something that didn't happen for those previously mentioned clubs nor, dare I say it at our beloved RFC.
There is nothing wrong with that but it is all very well speculating on young players from lower division clubs ( which is of course a good policy) but in the Premier League the extra skill is managing expensive players from bigger English clubs or from overseas and that is where Eddie has failed.

Are you suggesting that it has not been the miraculous overcoming the odds for plucky little old Bournemouth that the media have told me it was??!

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Jan 2020 11:35

Winston Biscuit
Victor Meldrew

Are you suggesting that it has not been the miraculous overcoming the odds for plucky little old Bournemouth that the media have told me it was??!

Winston, you are starting to sound like me. :wink:
This is indeed Little Bournemouth with as much financial clout as anybody bar the top 6 or so and in particular more than:-
Norwich
Watford
Southampton
Brighton
Burnley
Crystal Palace
Newcastle
Sheff Utd
Villa

I don't begrudge those longstanding fans, who put their hands in their pockets so often in the past to keep the club afloat, their eventual rewards in seeing Premier League football for so much longer than they might have imagined but enough is enough. :wink:

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Jan 2020 12:13

I'd care more about the money stuff if there was another way to do it, but there isn't, Our own club teeters on the edge of FFP trouble/financial ruin year-on-year, and if we go up this season, which looks a long shot, it will nevertheless be with one of the biggest wage bills in the division.

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 03 Jan 2020 14:54

I feel that Howe and Dyche have both stayed at their clubs a season or two too long really. Each are pigeon holed as a certain type of manager with a certain type of style and that's difficult to change when you're trying to get a job at a 'bigger' club. Dyche in particular I feel a bit sorry for. He's done a superb job for the club as a whole not just on managing the first team. Trying to change a style of play and attract the type of players needed to do that when Burnley are rightly or wrongly categorised as a tough physical no nonsense team is difficult especially on their budget.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 03 Jan 2020 16:30

One cautionary note on sacking managers-Charlton.
Weren't they around 10th in the Premier League when they decided that Curbishley could take them no further?

ayjaydee
Hob Nob Regular

by ayjaydee » 04 Jan 2020 19:04

Victor Meldrew One cautionary note on sacking managers-Charlton.
Weren't they around 10th in the Premier League when they decided that Curbishley could take them no further?

7th, and exactly how much further we’re they ever going to get? (miracles a la Leicester hadn’t been invented back then)

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 07 Jan 2020 00:28

Sack the manager?

Injuries have been mentioned a lot but they have quite a big squad and only possibly 3 of the injured would have played at West Ham.
He has spent a lot of money but his successes have mainly been with buys costing less or with players who have been around for a long time and this season their football has become stale..

He has been the media darling for some time and been talked up IMHO way above his capabilities but as an ex-defender he has done surprisingly badly with the defensive set-ups of his sides and that is why I think some of the bigger clubs have not been prepared to take a chance on him.

Bournemouth's next few games are against teams in a similar relegation threatened league position but they will have to buck up to even get points against the likes of Norwich and Watford.

Worrying times for the Cherries fans and manager who have been on the crest of a wave for the past 7 years but when you spend £20,000,000 on Solanke (20 games and 0 goals) £13,000,000 on Ibe, £25,000,000 on Lerma, (All he does is get booked), £15,000,000 on Billing, £10.000,000 on Rico, £10,000,000 on Mepham etc., etc, questions are bound to be asked when you now sit 3rd from bottom.

Sometimes, when you’ve been at a club for too long, things can become stale

We saw it with Arsenal and Wenger. To an extent, we’re seeing it at Burnley with Dyche. Hughes did a great job at Stoke for a while and built up a reputation which he could point to when they were struggling and ultimately Stoke left it too late to sack him and they were gone

It’s similar with Howe. With the money they’ve spent, their position is unacceptable. Obviously he can point to his legacy there and what he’s achieved, but sometimes in football a new approach and way is needed. Think this may be the case here

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Jan 2020 18:58

Rumours for days of Xavi taking over at Barcelona. The Sporting Director at his current club in Qatar just confirmed they are talking to Barca about a compensation package so he can go there.

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 12 Jan 2020 15:30

Vaguely interested/intrigued - Victor Sanchez has been sacked as manager of Malaga because of some video doing the rounds....BBC report said he claimed he was being blackmailed ahead of its release...what is it? Just another sex tape, or is there something juicy?

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 12 Jan 2020 15:41

Sack the manager?

Yikes, that is some terrible business. I wonder how involved Howe is in those transfers, or if a man above his head is managing them. Either way, year on year investment in dross at that level will always end in relegation sooner or later. Solanke barely looks Championship standard from what I've seen.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 12 Jan 2020 21:09

Malaga sack Victor Sanchez over a leaked sex tape. Karl Robinson in the frame to replace him :?

Old Man Andrews

by Old Man Andrews » 13 Jan 2020 09:18

Nigel Pearson proving what a good manager he is at Watford, their turnaround is quite remarkable. I'll be surprised if they can keep hold of him for long.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 13 Jan 2020 09:30

Old Man Andrews Nigel Pearson proving what a good manager he is at Watford, their turnaround is quite remarkable. I'll be surprised if they can keep hold of him for long.

He is doing very well but doubt they need to worry too much about another club coming in for him any time soon - given no-one bar a Belgian Second Division club were interested in the 4 years since he left Leicester following an excellent run there.

8673 posts