The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8673 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Stranded » 16 Jan 2021 06:46

AthleticoSpizz Dunno, but Sheff U’s first win of the Prem season hasn’t helped his pension pot.

Two wins on the bounce for the Blades

When Derby set the record low, their only win was a 1-0 home win against Newcastle. Odds on Sheffield United finishing on 11 points?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 16 Jan 2021 06:48

Uke
Pepe the Horseman Wayne Rooney finally appointed manager of Derby. No one saw that coming.

Must be a results based appointment

Well it's stopped people talking about the financial mess they are in for a day or so.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 17 Jan 2021 15:24

Sheffield Utd are terrible. Norwood is playing like he’s wearing clown shoes. Surprised he’s not been subbed.

Ah yes he just has. Awful.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 17 Jan 2021 22:36

leon Sheffield Utd are terrible. Norwood is playing like he’s wearing clown shoes. Surprised he’s not been subbed.

Ah yes he just has. Awful.

2 mistakes leading to goals and nearly a 3rd as well, iirc. He was pretty poor as were most of his team mates.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 18 Jan 2021 11:42

Phil Neville has left his role as manager of England's women and is set to take over at David Beckham's Major League Soccer side Inter Miami.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 18 Jan 2021 11:51

I am sure Higuain & Matuidi can't wait to feast on the footballing knowledge of Phil Neville

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 21 Jan 2021 08:44

Currently on no more Premier League managers to leave this season at 66/1, 40/1 & 33/1. At the prices I think it's a serious runner. I think the congested season, financial uncertainty over Coronavirus (just how quiet the transfer window is) and impact of Brexit are all being underplayed.

Lampard would be the biggest worry however it sounds like he has 3 additional matches at the very minimum and Chelsea's unwillingness to get a short term caretaker in could work in my favour. Wilder is still short in the betting however I can't see Sheff Utd sacking a manager who has already delivered them 2 promotions and is under no real pressure from the fans. Added he's a fan and unless he decides to walk, I think he'll see out the season. Bruce will only get sacked if a takeover is approved however Ashley is still at the club and quite stubborn. He's not a huge worry. Aside from that, I think the rest are pretty safe. Palace will eventually have to get rid of Hodgson who is 73 but any change won't be done until the season is over.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 21 Jan 2021 10:06

Bruce will go. They have started spending money and he has made them even worse than they were last season

For some reason I wouldn't be massively surprised to see Sean Dyche go

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 21 Jan 2021 16:48

Neil Harris OUT at Cardiff

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 25 Jan 2021 10:14

Fat Frank apparently on his way out

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Jan 2021 10:31

genome Fat Frank apparently on his way out

Tuchel to take over

Signings haven’t worked for Lampard, the likes of Werner and Havertz may come good with time but that’s a luxury very few are afforded these days

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 25 Jan 2021 10:46

That's a shame, in my view. I also know that's the nature of football and at a top 4 club. But Chelsea knew they were signing a raw manager and that's what they got. Periods of success and where Lampard's appointment looked shrewd (they are only 6 weeks on from the end of a 20-game unbeaten run). Hopefully he'll get a pop at another job.

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 25 Jan 2021 11:28

Reckon Newcastle might be a good fit if Bruce goes too

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 25 Jan 2021 11:36

And whilst managers live and die by their signings, Werner and Havertz are explaining to me why more players don't come from the Bundesliga to the Premier League. They've looked totally lost and ineffective, Havertz in particular, and I don't think you can pin all that on Lamps. COVID will have played a part too, as well as their form, of course - Minamino has been similarly affected at Liverpool.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 25 Jan 2021 11:51

The nature of how teams set up is vastly different in the Prem to the Bundesliga

The impression I get from occasionally watching Bundesliga games (perhaps the likes of Stranded could confirm/reject this) is that the games are quite open, hence for the likes of Havertz/Minamino, there's pockets of space to play in and also for Werner, there's more space to play in behind. Compare that to the Prem, where, especially against the top teams, lower sides will form a low block, and will play deep to the extent to which there's very little room to play in, negating the likes of Werner/Havertz

I, for one, am frequently left disappointed watching Sancho play for England, and in the majority of those games, we're up against defensive teams. Yet for Dortmund, he apparently excels. It's arguably the same for Gnabry too, who struggled to get game time for both Arsenal and West Brom - yet is a regular for Bayern

Of course, it works the other way too. Onto a slight tangent but Bale and Hazard were brilliant players for Spurs and Chelsea respectively. Since they both went to the BBVA, neither have lived up to the high expectations. Always think it's generally better to look "in-house" rather than going abroad if possible

BR0B0T
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by BR0B0T » 25 Jan 2021 11:57

Saw a flurry of activity on this thread and thought that kLoLpp had gone

Simmops
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Simmops » 25 Jan 2021 12:24

mental decision

3 years in management, 1.5 at the deepp end, with new players. at least give him till the end of next season

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 25 Jan 2021 13:23

URZZZZ The nature of how teams set up is vastly different in the Prem to the Bundesliga

The impression I get from occasionally watching Bundesliga games (perhaps the likes of Stranded could confirm/reject this) is that the games are quite open, hence for the likes of Havertz/Minamino, there's pockets of space to play in and also for Werner, there's more space to play in behind. Compare that to the Prem, where, especially against the top teams, lower sides will form a low block, and will play deep to the extent to which there's very little room to play in, negating the likes of Werner/Havertz

I, for one, am frequently left disappointed watching Sancho play for England, and in the majority of those games, we're up against defensive teams. Yet for Dortmund, he apparently excels. It's arguably the same for Gnabry too, who struggled to get game time for both Arsenal and West Brom - yet is a regular for Bayern

Of course, it works the other way too. Onto a slight tangent but Bale and Hazard were brilliant players for Spurs and Chelsea respectively. Since they both went to the BBVA, neither have lived up to the high expectations. Always think it's generally better to look "in-house" rather than going abroad if possible

Agreed. Still blows my mind that a football club cant see that a player really excelling somewhere else is often doing so because of factors outside of themselves too. A player scoring a boatload of goals in one team may be doing so because the tactics used and other players in that team have worked hard and spent a lot of time focusing on getting the ball to them in very specific situations. You can't buy a player excelling doing a very specific thing and throw him into your team asking him to do a different role and wonder how it all went wrong.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 25 Jan 2021 13:28

RG30 Currently on no more Premier League managers to leave this season at 66/1, 40/1 & 33/1. At the prices I think it's a serious runner. I think the congested season, financial uncertainty over Coronavirus (just how quiet the transfer window is) and impact of Brexit are all being underplayed.

Lampard would be the biggest worry however it sounds like he has 3 additional matches at the very minimum and Chelsea's unwillingness to get a short term caretaker in could work in my favour.

This didn't last too long :lol:

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 25 Jan 2021 13:28

Simmops

mental decision

3 years in management, 1.5 at the deepp end, with new players. at least give him till the end of next season

disagree. 1 year at Derby where he got them to finish on a lower points total than the manager before him, only brought into Chelsea because of the transfer ban so the fans would give the club more time, oversaw the biggest transfer window spending spree in the clubs history and now has the lowest average points per game of any manager there in 20 years with 7 of their 8 wins this season coming against teams in the bottom half

He is operating within the very top end of the football management world, you deliver or you are gone.

8673 posts