The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8673 posts
Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Sanguine » 08 Nov 2021 10:09

Can't help but feel that the Villa owners pulled the trigger too early on Smith. They won at Old Trafford, beat Everton comfortably at home. Sure, five defeats in a row isn't great, but those include trips to Spurs and Arsenal, and a home defeat to West Ham.

Edit: albeit to contradict myself, I think Smith should be getting more out of a defence of Martinez, Mings and Konsa - too many goals conceded.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 08 Nov 2021 11:56

Pepe the Horseman
paultheroyal Moyes has done amazing and players clearly like him. West Ham to do a Leicester? Can you imagine.

This is now sacking season, i expect a couple more today, wouldnt be surprised. Managers becoming available and the two week window are all factors.

I feel a bit dirty cheering on West Ham, but Moyes has made them likeable.

Yes this.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Nov 2021 12:33

NathStPaul I am surprised that Thomas Frank hasn't been mentioned, think he'd be a good fit at Villa.

Agree.

I am starting to wonder if Brentford might fall into that category of teams who came up, initial excitement carried then through to the first few weeks of the PL so everyone thought they would be fine, then started losing quite a bit and got sucked into a relegation battle (weren't Blackpool up the top 4 after around 5 games?)

A win for Burnley anytime soon and a whole host of teams positions suddenly looks pretty fragile

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 08 Nov 2021 12:38

Winston Biscuit
NathStPaul I am surprised that Thomas Frank hasn't been mentioned, think he'd be a good fit at Villa.

Agree.

I am starting to wonder if Brentford might fall into that category of teams who came up, initial excitement carried then through to the first few weeks of the PL so everyone thought they would be fine, then started losing quite a bit and got sucked into a relegation battle (weren't Blackpool up the top 4 after around 5 games?)

A win for Burnley anytime soon and a whole host of teams positions suddenly looks pretty fragile

I know Brentford have an excellent business model and recruitment policy but I feel they started the season a couple of players short, just lacking a little bit of big game experience and nous. Someone like Moussa Sissoko would have been ideal for example, ended up going to Watford and is doing a fairly decent job there.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 08 Nov 2021 18:12

Eddie Howe lands the Newcastle gig!! :o

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 09 Nov 2021 06:04

Is losing 5 games as a team like Aston Villa enough to get sacked after all Dean Smith has done? Seems a bit leg jerk reaction to me.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 09 Nov 2021 08:33

Yeah....sound familiar?

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 09 Nov 2021 11:33

Donny Ironside Is losing 5 games as a team like Aston Villa enough to get sacked after all Dean Smith has done? Seems a bit leg jerk reaction to me.

Yep - ridiculous. Brought about because clubs are panicking that as we enter into silly season, top managers in their eyes get poached. Coupled with the international break - except a few more across the divisions.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 09 Nov 2021 12:27

gerrard emerging as favourite

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 09 Nov 2021 13:33

I feel a little bit for Smith, they sold the player he'd built a team around and it was always going to be difficult to replace Grealish and change the way they play because of that. Their defence has been woeful so far this season and it pains me to say it but does John Terry deserve a bit of credit as its since he left that that's happened.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Nov 2021 08:08

paultheroyal
Donny Ironside Is losing 5 games as a team like Aston Villa enough to get sacked after all Dean Smith has done? Seems a bit leg jerk reaction to me.

Yep - ridiculous. Brought about because clubs are panicking that as we enter into silly season, top managers in their eyes get poached. Coupled with the international break - except a few more across the divisions.

Nature of the defeats I guess, esp. throwing away a 2-0 lead after 80mins v Wolves to lose 3-2 and an absolute shellacking at home to West Ham (though West Ham are a bloody good side this year).

Also looking ahead their fixtures after the break are:

Brighton (H)
Palace (A)
City (H)
Leicester (H)
Liverpool (A)

They probably thought that unless they changed something 5 defeats in a row could easily become 10 (or they may end up with 4pts/30).

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Nov 2021 13:12

6ft Kerplunk I feel a little bit for Smith, they sold the player he'd built a team around and it was always going to be difficult to replace Grealish and change the way they play because of that. Their defence has been woeful so far this season and it pains me to say it but does John Terry deserve a bit of credit as its since he left that that's happened.

Well, indeed. Whatever shamble the man himself is (his entry into the world of Twitter this week has been the predictable car crash), he's one of the best central defenders of his generation - a defence including Martinez, Konsa and Mings really shouldn't be leaking the goals that it is, it can't just be coincidence that the defence goes tits up once he leaves.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 10 Nov 2021 19:58

BBC reporting that is now looks 'increasingly likely' that Gerrard will be taking over at Villa

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 10 Nov 2021 20:31

Winston Biscuit BBC reporting that is now looks 'increasingly likely' that Gerrard will be taking over at Villa

Feels a bit like puzzle pieces moving around. Klopp has two more seasons after this one at Liverpool. Gerrard knows he'd likely need PL experience before the Liverpool job. We shall see.

Lampard to Norwich rumours are growing too.

sputnik
Hob Nob Regular
Location: HNA? Prediction League Champion 2014-15, 2018-19, 2021-22

by sputnik » 11 Nov 2021 10:04

Winston Biscuit BBC reporting that is now looks 'increasingly likely' that Gerrard will be taking over at Villa

confrimed

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Nov 2021 10:11

His contract at Villa runs out at the same time as Klopper's does at Liverpool.....

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 11 Nov 2021 10:19

Will be a shame if Gerrard does go to Villa. Was half hoping to see his name linked to the Man U job when Solskjaer gets sacked just to see the bedwetting of fans from both ends of the East Lancs Road.

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 11 Nov 2021 10:24

Very bad move for him this. He was in a win win situation at rangers. I think he will end up flopping at villa

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Nov 2021 10:27

Winston Biscuit His contract at Villa runs out at the same time as Klopper's does at Liverpool.....

This is the reason why I am surprised he has taken the Villa job. Seemed perfect sense for him to stay up at Rangers for a couple more years and win things. I think Klopp will probably move on once his current contract runs out and then Gerrard is the obvious choice to replace him. If it goes tits up at Villa then his chances of managing Liverpool are very slim.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Nov 2021 10:34

We will now have the unbearable build up to Liverpool v Villa on the 11th of December.....

8673 posts