The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

8673 posts
Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Manager Sack Race/Merry-go-Round

by Donny Ironside » 11 Nov 2021 10:44

NathStPaul We will now have the unbearable build up to Liverpool v Villa on the 11th of December.....

God. Imagine the Carra and Neville banter on sky for this :roll:

I don't think he's done the right thing here.

He has it so easy at Rangers. Did a great job and was loved by all

Now he has a hard job where it is a league with no sentiment at all (see Lampard) and a few losses and he is gone. He could have and should have stayed till klopp goes and then gone to Liverpool. If he fjcks up at villa then he might not be getting the Liverpool job.

And what is villas aim with him? All he will do is stay up. Maybe get to the semis of the carabao Cup?
Last edited by Donny Ironside on 11 Nov 2021 10:46, edited 1 time in total.

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 11 Nov 2021 10:45

NathStPaul We will now have the unbearable build up to Liverpool v Villa on the 11th of December.....

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Nov 2021 11:24

Winston Biscuit His contract at Villa runs out at the same time as Klopper's does at Liverpool.....

Funny that. :)
He's basically on a two-year audition now for the Liverpool job.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 11 Nov 2021 11:25

NathStPaul
Winston Biscuit His contract at Villa runs out at the same time as Klopper's does at Liverpool.....

This is the reason why I am surprised he has taken the Villa job. Seemed perfect sense for him to stay up at Rangers for a couple more years and win things. I think Klopp will probably move on once his current contract runs out and then Gerrard is the obvious choice to replace him. If it goes tits up at Villa then his chances of managing Liverpool are very slim.

All in all a brave move then, and that has to count for something. Certainly there would have been enough people ready to say that 'he's only managed in the SPL', if he'd stayed at Rangers.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 11 Nov 2021 11:27

Sanguine
NathStPaul

This is the reason why I am surprised he has taken the Villa job. Seemed perfect sense for him to stay up at Rangers for a couple more years and win things. I think Klopp will probably move on once his current contract runs out and then Gerrard is the obvious choice to replace him. If it goes tits up at Villa then his chances of managing Liverpool are very slim.

All in all a brave move then, and that has to count for something. Certainly there would have been enough people ready to say that 'he's only managed in the SPL', if he'd stayed at Rangers.

Yeah certainly is. Shows he has the self belief required to be a top level manager and I hope it works out for him. If anything just for the future prospects of the national side. There are hardly a string of potential replacements should things go tits up with Southgate.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 11 Nov 2021 11:28

Hmmm it’s a bit eggs all in one basket for Gerrard to stay at rangers on the off chance klopp will leave when his contract is up and that he would get the job. I think this is the right move at the right time to the right club for Gerrard and the correct appointment for villa.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Nov 2021 11:53

Feels like a good move to me (sizable club, reasonable money to spend, not really in a relegation fight, only came up 2 seasons ago so expectations are not wildly unrealistic, only 7 points off of a European spot too)

I really hope it works out. Gerrard is one of my all time favourite non RFC footballers

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 11 Nov 2021 12:30

What would success be at Villa for him, for Liverpool to justify appointing him in 2 years say over Zidane or Another?

Mid table? Top 8? Europe League?

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 11 Nov 2021 12:31

Winston Biscuit Feels like a good move to me (sizable club, reasonable money to spend, not really in a relegation fight, only came up 2 seasons ago so expectations are not wildly unrealistic, only 7 points off of a European spot too)

I really hope it works out. Gerrard is one of my all time favourite non RFC footballers

Let's hope he doesn't slip up

:roll:

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 11 Nov 2021 12:47

Like following Ferguson at Man U and Wenger at Arsenal, I'm not sure being first in after Klopp at Liverpool will be the wisest career move. Klopp's made a big impact at the club and it'll be tough to keep that going seamlessly.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 11 Nov 2021 14:01

Sanguine

Funny that. :)
He's basically on a two-year audition now for the Liverpool job.

Exactly. Doesn’t necessarily have win anything but just get Villa into a hard to beat Europe challenging team. January and next summer transfer windows will be the make or break of him.

But then again perhaps Liverpool won’t risk bringing a him back to the club - would you want to see Parky managing Reading?

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 11 Nov 2021 14:10

Donny Ironside What would success be at Villa for him, for Liverpool to justify appointing him in 2 years say over Zidane or Another?

Villa fans want/expect the club (generally, not just under Gerrard) to go back to the levels of Martin O'Neil or the mid 90s where they were a regular fixture in the top 8 and having a decent go at challenging for the cups. They're a realistic bunch on the whole, they know they're not going to be title challengers, but the "second tier" of the Premier league is where they think the club sits in the overall football pyramid.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 11 Nov 2021 14:11

Sutekh would you want to see Parky managing Reading?

No, but that's mainly on the basis of I don't think his managerial record is right for us. Take the Reading connection out of him, and I don't think he's a manager we'd be looking at

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 11 Nov 2021 14:17

Donny Ironside What would success be at Villa for him, for Liverpool to justify appointing him in 2 years say over Zidane or Another?

Safety this year, top 10 next year, Europa League the following year.

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 11 Nov 2021 14:45

6ft Kerplunk Like following Ferguson at Man U and Wenger at Arsenal, I'm not sure being first in after Klopp at Liverpool will be the wisest career move. Klopp's made a big impact at the club and it'll be tough to keep that going seamlessly.

Didn’t work out too badly for Bob Paisley following Shankley. Maybe it’s the United factor as those following Busby fared just as badly

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 11 Nov 2021 15:32

playing reasonable football and top half of the table finish. If they do that 2 years in a row they can start looking at how to get into Europa League

Donny Ironside
Hob Nob Regular

by Donny Ironside » 11 Nov 2021 16:03

Would "safety" be enough to justify Liverpool taking him after a manager whose won the CL and EPL?

6ft Kerplunk
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by 6ft Kerplunk » 11 Nov 2021 23:00

Franchise FC
6ft Kerplunk Like following Ferguson at Man U and Wenger at Arsenal, I'm not sure being first in after Klopp at Liverpool will be the wisest career move. Klopp's made a big impact at the club and it'll be tough to keep that going seamlessly.

Didn’t work out too badly for Bob Paisley following Shankley. Maybe it’s the United factor as those following Busby fared just as badly

That was continuity from within though, as soon as they stopped that and Souness came in from Rangers it went to shite.

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Nov 2021 02:27

NathStPaul
Sanguine
NathStPaul

Yeah certainly is. Shows he has the self belief required to be a top level manager and I hope it works out for him. If anything just for the future prospects of the national side. There are hardly a string of potential replacements should things go tits up with Southgate.

Rooney?

URZZZZ
Hob Nob Addict

by URZZZZ » 12 Nov 2021 02:32

In fairness, think both of those sides were on the decline at the time. Arsenal were pretty much a mainstay in the top four for most of Wenger’s reign but couldn’t manage it the couple of years. Ferguson won the league with United in his last season but deep down I think he knew the squad was going to struggle

With the likes of Jones and Elliott emerging, you’d think the club would be in a good position at the end of Klopp’s reign

8673 posts