End to relegation from the Prem

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

End to relegation from the Prem

by Jackson Corner » 17 Oct 2011 13:58

Looks like we may as well give up as all the yank owners want the Premier league to scrap relegation. What next franchise? Superbowl final to decide champions?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/15336398.stm

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

Re: End to relegation from the Prem

by YateleyRoyal » 17 Oct 2011 14:10

Jackson Corner Looks like we may as well give up as all the yank owners want the Premier league to scrap relegation. What next franchise? Superbowl final to decide champions?

PFA and LMA says not a hope in hell.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 17 Oct 2011 14:33

lol - what a stupid idea

Although it wont be long before, firstly, at least 1 game a season is played abroad and then a European super league is set up

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Oct 2011 14:44

Jackson Corner all the yank owners

:?:

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 17 Oct 2011 14:49

Silver Fox

Liverpool, Man Utd, Arsenal, Aston Villa, Sunderland. A quarter of the league.

Add to that Blackburn, Chelsea, Fulham, Man City and QPR, and you can see half the Premiership is under foreign ownership.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 17 Oct 2011 14:51

Needs a 2/3 majority to change PL rules. That would mean 14 out of the 20 voting for this.

Can't really see it happening, though - it's just too radical and too obnoxious for enough people to vote for it.

And why is it being seen as a "yank owners" thing? :shock:

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 17 Oct 2011 14:52

Svlad Cjelli Needs a 2/3 majority to change PL rules. That would mean 14 out of the 20 voting for this.

Can't really see it happening, though - it's just too radical and too obnoxious for enough people to vote for it.

And why is it being seen as a "yank owners" thing? :shock:

That was the point I was trying to make. It aint just Yanks who want this rule.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 17 Oct 2011 15:07

Jackson Corner Looks like we may as well give up as all the yank owners want the Premier league to scrap relegation. What next franchise? Superbowl final to decide champions?

You mean champions of the worLOLd.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 17 Oct 2011 15:09

Svlad Cjelli Needs a 2/3 majority to change PL rules. That would mean 14 out of the 20 voting for this.

You say that though but it's all about money and the likes of Wolves, WBA, Stoke et all would surely jump at the chance to secure their financial futures and remain a permanent fixture in the top flight?

I can see 2/3's taking it.
Last edited by roadrunner on 17 Oct 2011 15:10, edited 1 time in total.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 17 Oct 2011 15:10

TBM Although it wont be long before, firstly, at least 1 game a season is played abroad

Wigan Vs Fulham in Taiwan. BRING IT ON :!:

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 17 Oct 2011 15:19

roadrunner

You say that though but it's all about money and the likes of Wolves, WBA, Stoke et all would surely jump at the chance to secure their financial futures and remain a permanent fixture in the top flight?

I can see 2/3's taking it.

If it was just down to them maybe - although I do think that enough clubs still see themselves as part of the wider football pyramid not to go for this. Scudamore, for instance, would not support this (I do realise his job is to do what his member clubs require of him, though...)

But in any case the outcry would be universal and deafening, and I really don't see them being allowed to do this - politically it might be the step too far that hastens government legislation and a proper FA revolt against PL power. I'd not be surprised if the blazers in the FA expelled the 20 clubs if they went for this. That means no referees, none of their players being allowed to play internationally, and no entry to UEFA competitions, etc. They'd also need to set-up their own disciplinary process etc, etc, etc.

There are also enough in the PL who do recognise that the value of their product isn't just down to what happens at the top - there's value in having the likes of Blackpool in the league. I think they know that they might be OK commercially in the short-term, but longer term their league would appeal much less as a self-contained one.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 17 Oct 2011 15:38

YateleyRoyal
Silver Fox

Add to that Blackburn, Chelsea, Fulham, Man City and QPR, and you can see half the Premiership is under foreign ownership.

So where does it say in the report that all the yank owners have come up with this? And why didn't you say all the asian owners?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 17 Oct 2011 15:45

Wasn't the first Chairman to bring this up Phil Gartside of Bolton??

As English a bloke as you can find.

I can't imagine this happening in England BUT I can see it as part of a wider European or even World Super League.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 17 Oct 2011 15:53

Silver Fox
YateleyRoyal
Silver Fox

So where does it say in the report that all the yank owners have come up with this? And why didn't you say all the asian owners?

Please, try reading the posts above yours. It can actually help your understanding before you wade into an argument.

If you actually look, it was someone else who said it was the Yank owners. I merely listed who they were. HTH

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular

by Svlad Cjelli » 17 Oct 2011 15:58

Mr Angry Wasn't the first Chairman to bring this up Phil Gartside of Bolton??

As English a bloke as you can find.

I can't imagine this happening in England BUT I can see it as part of a wider European or even World Super League.

He's more into the PL2, where the Championship teams get a bigger slice of the PL pie. The original Gartside plan was no relegation from the new Tier 2 - later change to be 1 up, 1 down because of the opposition to that.

I can see this as much more likely to happen, although the big flaw in this plan is that for the new tier 2 teams to get a bigger slice of PL pie the PL clubs would get a smaller slice of PL pie, which ain't gonna happen (unless additional revenue can be found - for instance via the introduction of Ranger & Celtic.)

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 17 Oct 2011 16:18

I thought we'd already given up. :wink:

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 17 Oct 2011 16:41

Believe the FA retains the right to veto any proposal to change the the PL might come up with.

In addition the FA themselves have recently been told they have until 29th Feb 2012 to change their board and bring in rules governing the licencing of clubs. If they fail then government legislation will be imposed.

Therefore the FA need to get tough, strong and consistent pretty quick.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 17 Oct 2011 16:59

Silver Fox

Granted not all yanks but they are the one's who want to turn the prem league in to an American football style product. Liverpool owners want there own tv rights. Talk of games being shown in pubs 3 0 clock Sat afternoon, and as mentioned Wigan Stoke Wolves would jump at the chance of no relegation. And if they do what will the football league fightback with? Ban Prem clubs from the Carling cup?

postwhisperer

by postwhisperer » 17 Oct 2011 17:09

this could improve the standard of the premier league by spreading the money to the same teams every year, instead of giving it to some team that gets promoted like reading, watford, burnley, etc but doesn't reinvest any money back into the team. premier league has always been about money so why is this such a shock?

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 17 Oct 2011 17:11

I hope they go ahead and do this as I have a cunning plan. I'll buy Wigan off my mate Dave for a £1, sell all the players and put out a team of kids who'll play for peanuts. Then after pocketing all the TV money I'll be sorted.

Of course I'll have to economical with the truth about short term funding but I'm sure there'll be no problem finding some greedy banker to give me a float.

Kerching!