John Terry

920 posts
Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

Re: John Terry

by Royalclapper » 28 Sep 2012 20:59

John Terry = Wrong/Bit of a nutter

Anton Ferdinand = Green-eyed monster at work. Terry has had a decent PLAYING career that he just cannot match

QPR = Do they only exist in order to piss Chelsea off?

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 28 Sep 2012 23:10

Thanks for your contribution royalclopper

sheshnu

by sheshnu » 29 Sep 2012 02:22

Can't remember who questioned it but I was listening to some flappy-mouthed space filler on the radio earlier and he reckoned that the reason for the difference in length of ban was because Suarez used the 'term' multiple times and Our JT only said it once. Apparently. 2 for disrepute, 2 for racist language, then double it for multiple infractions. Dunno if somebody else mentioned it ^^ up there but that's the logic.

FWIW, and I think I speak for a lot of football fans, you could ban both the pricks for life and nobody would give too much of a shit.

(Although that handball against Ghana had me LOLing out of my seat)

EDIT: Was it Ghana? The only thing I remember from the game was that particular incident.

Royalclapper
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalclapper » 29 Sep 2012 10:49

TFF Thanks for your contribution royalclopper

:D

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 29 Sep 2012 12:33

Victor Meldrew
Bandini
Victor Meldrew I do think sometimes that people like Jason Roberts won't be happy until there is black supremacy

The beginning of the line is hard to reconcile with the comment that follows.

Why?
In my eyes "kicking racism out of football" has been a great success for black players both on the pitch and even more so on the terraces (to use a word which is no longer technically correct but still regularly used).
Let's hope they don't believe that racism works just one way.
By the way are you the pickiest poster around along with Spacey?
You never seem to say much and contribute much but come across as a leech attaching itself to all and sundry.

I don't think that it's especially picky to point out that a belief that Jason Roberts wants black supremacy isn't especially consistent with thinking.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 29 Sep 2012 12:50

Arsenal fans aren't sure who to boo louder - Terry or Cole.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 30 Sep 2012 23:55

Bandini
Victor Meldrew I do think sometimes that people like Jason Roberts won't be happy until there is black supremacy

The beginning of the line is hard to reconcile with the comment that follows.

another slightly odd comment on the race issue VM....what makes you think that JR wants black supremacy?

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 01 Oct 2012 12:27

Maybe if Jason Roberts spent less time on Twitter moaning about how racist the game is - and concentr8ed on coaching/watching the game more, he might become a top class coach or manager.....

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 01 Oct 2012 13:11

:|

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 05 Oct 2012 13:09

Written notes released on the Terry judgement.

http://www.thefa.com/News/governance/20 ... 085B7.ashx

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 05 Oct 2012 13:20

Ashley Cole ‏@TheRealAC3

Hahahahaa, well done #fa I lied did I, #BUNCHOFTWATS

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 05 Oct 2012 13:25

Still sticking to my view that the FA have utterly fcuked up both the Terry and Suarez cases. They got the Suarez case wrong, and this made a rod for their own back with Terry, who was even less ‘guilty’ of the offence but had done no more or less than Suarez, do the FA had little to do but treat him the same.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 05 Oct 2012 13:29

Rumpole Black players are, if anything, over-represented in football. Managers are under represented (just). On the latest ONS figures 2.81% of people in England and Wales are Black. Which means that 2 or 3 managers of the 92 football league clubs should be black. Which means we're only 1 or 2 short.

Not using this to say: "There are too many black footballers" or anything like that, I'm just saying that we're not doing too badly, all told.

If however, you want to use the percentage of black footballers actually pursuing a career in management then it would be right to say that it's astonishing that there are so few black managers, currently. As others have said, though: attitudes have changed drastically over the last 10 or 15 years, so in another 5 years or so we'll see a big change, I'm sure.

But it's not a national league, it's a global one.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 05 Oct 2012 14:13

#BUNCHOFTWATS

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 05 Oct 2012 15:12

Cole, Terry #PAIROFTWATS

The "evolution" of Ashley Cole's evidence
7.27 It is also the FA's case that Ashley Cole‟s evidence has evolved and that the word “black” was introduced retrospectively into the witness statement that he provided to the FA, with a view to bolstering Mr. Terry‟s claim that the words that he (Mr. Terry) spoke to Mr. Ferdinand were not said by way of an insult, but as repetition and forceful denial of what Mr. Ferdinand had accused him of saying. In support of its case in this regard, the FA pointed to an exchange of e-mails that took place between the FA and Chelsea‟s Club Secretary, David Barnard, in which requests were made, on behalf of Mr. Cole, to amend his draft witness statements. Again, the Commission was in the invidious position of having very little live witness evidence to test the documentary evidence. Nevertheless, as will be shown, the Commission‟s view of this new evidence is that it casts considerable doubt over Mr. Cole‟s claim that he heard, or could have heard, Mr. Ferdinand use the word “black” when the latter insulted Mr. Terry with words and gestures. The new evidence undermines Mr. Cole‟s corroboration for Mr. Terry‟s claim that when he used the words “fucking black cunt”, he did so by way of forceful rejection/inquiry.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 05 Oct 2012 16:21

Paragraph 9.5 (vi) basically reiterates that Suarez got a longer ban purely on Evra's evidence.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 05 Oct 2012 16:22

The word "cunt" is mentioned 55 times in that document.

Lovely.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 05 Oct 2012 16:46

Well, there we go then. The Court could not find him guilty "beyond reasonable doubt" but the FA can on "balance of probabilities".

Which is pretty much what the world thinks. Can’t be 100% sure he did it, but his argument that he repeated the offending words in denial is about as likely as him reaching around when he boffs Lampard.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 07 Oct 2012 11:24

We defy anyone to watch John Terry on YouTube very clearly mouthing the words "You oxf*rd black oxf*rd … oxf*rd knobhead" at Anton Ferdinand and not agree with the independent commission set up by the FA to investigate the October 2011 incident. They concluded that Terry's defence (that he was repeating words which Ferdinand had alleged he had used) was "improbable, implausible and contrived". They said there was "no credible evidence" for Terry's defence.

"We are quite satisfied that the offending words were said by way of insult," the commission concluded. The independent commission alleges that John Terry's defence – which he advanced in court – was untrue.

He was acquitted in a criminal trial at Westminster magistrates court in July, although the chief magistrate, Howard Riddle, had said Terry's defence was "unlikely" even if there were insufficient grounds for a conviction. How will Chelsea FC react? How would most major private or public institutions react if one of their leading figures – say, the chief executive – was found guilty by an independent commission of saying, in public to a competitor, "You oxf*rd black oxf*rd … oxf*rd knobhead"?

They would sack them.

If Chelsea – who have said they will wait to see if Terry appeals before making clear their intentions and on Saturday confirmed there will be a "disciplinary process" with Ashley Cole – choose not to do that, what reasons will they – and their owner, Roman Abramovich – give for not taking this course of action? Are they happy their captain has been found guilty of lying? Are they happy that he uses the phrase "You oxf*rd black oxf*rd … oxf*rd knobhead" in public? Are they happy for this man to be their captain?

To be their leader? Really?

Are Chelsea fans happy to have their team led by a man who uses a racist insult? Will Chelsea fans – and with social media there are many opportunities for them to find their voice, how about #sackjohnterrynow? – signal their disapproval of their "leader"? Because if they don't, then how can they take a credible stand on racism in public life ever again? They can't. There is no reason for being equivocal about racism.

And what of Chelsea's commercial partners and sponsors such as Samsung? Are they happy that their brand is represented by a team leader who says to an opponent "You oxf*rd black oxf*rd"? They shouldn't be and they should use their considerable influence to demand that he plays no further part in any association with their brand.

Chelsea have other questions to answer. And answer them they must if the shame that this incident has heaped on British football is to be erased. The independent commission detailed how Ashley Cole's evidence "evolved" over time in order to further support Terry's defence. The FA are accusing Cole – Terry's principal supporting witness – of lying. In his first statement to the FA Cole made no mention of having heard Ferdinand use the word "black". In a revised statement he asked for the word be inserted into his statement to strengthen Terry's defence.

The commission concluded: "Mr Cole did not hear, and could not have believed, understood or misunderstood Mr Ferdinand to have used the word 'black'."

It was the Chelsea club secretary, David Barnard, who facilitated Ashley Cole's change of evidence. The commission concluded that there were "very real concerns" over Bernard's evidence and said it was "materially defective". This is a damning indictment of their club secretary. How will Chelsea react? What would other major public or private companies do?

What will Chelsea's considered response to the FA report be once they have had time to digest how comprehensively it has eviscerated their captain, their club secretary and their left-back? We've already had Ashley Cole's response when he tweeted "Hahahahaa, well done, #fa. I lied did I, #BUNCHOFTWATS". He later "unreservedly" apologised. Of course he did. And is that it, Chelsea? Is it OK for Cole to react in that way to a charge this serious?

Chelsea have been shamed by this incident. They have been shamed by John Terry and Ashley Cole. For those of us who love football it is dispiriting, depressing and disgusting to see how football (including the FA who were also criticised by the independent commission) has dealt so ineptly with this Terry affair. And not just this incident. Who can forget Liverpool's lamentable response to the Luis Suárez incident last year?

And the FA, even now, seem to have some difficulty learning lessons from this fiasco. In a briefing to journalists from the Sunday media on Thursday – before the publication of the independent commission's report – the England manager, Roy Hodgson, responding to persistent questions, said he might consider giving the captaincy to Ashley Cole for the World Cup game against Poland to coincide with the defender's 100th cap.

On Saturday the FA made it clear to those same journalists that they should not refer to that section of the press conference lest it reflect badly on Hodgson or the FA, or that not giving the captaincy would be seen as revenge for the Cole tweet. Perish the thought.

The fact that the request from the FA came with an implicit threat that anyone who ignored this advisory might suffer in terms of future cooperation from the FA is both abysmal and shocking.

Racism is vile and malevolent and has blighted many people's lives. It continues to do so, although great strides have been taken to reduce its incidence. Only racists and intellectual Neanderthals would need convincing that society has to adopt a zero tolerance approach to incidences of racism, or racist insults. And that includes football.

As one writer noted on Saturday: "Most footballers get through the day without uttering a racist remark." In fact, most of us get through the day without uttering a racist remark.

Terry and Cole are an embarrassment to football, to Chelsea and to England. The club – and just as importantly, their supporters – need to be seen to understand that clearly. And react accordingly.

Observer editorial today. Strong stuff.

The thought of Ashley Cole as England captain makes me a bit sick in my mouth. Starting to think Hodgson is losing it a bit.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 07 Oct 2012 11:42

The Observer Are Chelsea fans happy to have their team led by a man who uses a racist insult?

Happy? They'd welcome it with open arms. This is - after all - a fanbase so neanderthal as to write write hate mail to opponents who accidentally injured their players.

920 posts