redknapp tax evasion - trial begins january

226 posts
Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

redknapp tax evasion - trial begins january

by Friday's Legacy » 12 Nov 2011 19:48

the worst kept secret in football finally has a court date.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/12112011/ ... nuary.html

"Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp and his former chairman at Portsmouth, Milan Mandaric, will go on trial in London on tax evasion charges on January 23, Judge Leonard QC has announced.

The 64-year-old Redknapp, the favourite to become the next England manager, is currently recovering from minor heart surgery and is not expected to return to work at Premier League club Spurs until at least the end of the month.
Appearing in court documents under the name Henry, he and 73-year-old Mandaric, are jointly accused of two counts of cheating the public revenue.

The charges against them concern two payments, totalling $295,000 (about £183.000), from the former Portsmouth chairman to the club's then manager via a bank account in Monaco between April 1 2002 and November 28 2007 that are alleged to have evaded tax and national insurance contributions.

Redknapp and Mandaric, who is now Sheffield Wednesday chairman, both deny the charges. The trial is due to last for two weeks."

redknapp for england? he could be retired before the job becomes available.

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

Re: redknapp tax evasion - trial begins january

by Handsome Man » 12 Nov 2011 22:52

It's Pardew then!

Scylla

by Scylla » 13 Nov 2011 14:32

Friday's Legacy the worst kept secret in football finally has a court date.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/12112011/ ... nuary.html

"Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp and his former chairman at Portsmouth, Milan Mandaric, will go on trial in London on tax evasion charges on January 23, Judge Leonard QC has announced.

The 64-year-old Redknapp, the favourite to become the next England manager, is currently recovering from minor heart surgery and is not expected to return to work at Premier League club Spurs until at least the end of the month.
Appearing in court documents under the name Henry, he and 73-year-old Mandaric, are jointly accused of two counts of cheating the public revenue.

The charges against them concern two payments, totalling $295,000 (about £183.000), from the former Portsmouth chairman to the club's then manager via a bank account in Monaco between April 1 2002 and November 28 2007 that are alleged to have evaded tax and national insurance contributions.

Redknapp and Mandaric, who is now Sheffield Wednesday chairman, both deny the charges. The trial is due to last for two weeks."

redknapp for england? he could be retired before the job becomes available.

Or he could be carried shoulder high by cheering fans without a stain on his character. Just in time to pick up the reins after the Euro 2012 car wreck. Does it matter?

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 13 Nov 2011 21:55

:mrgreen:

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 14 Nov 2011 12:58

No chance of the England job now, no matter what the outcome.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Either screwing or working, so the grind don't stop

by YateleyRoyal » 14 Nov 2011 13:40

Gordons Cumming No chance of the England job now, no matter what the outcome.

Ummm why? This trial has been looming over him for years - why would the fact that it has suddenly been given a date change anything?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 Nov 2011 13:57

With all this, and other stuff down the years, hanging over him, he never was in with a chance.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 14 Nov 2011 14:00

being lectured by Arsène Wenger

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 14 Nov 2011 14:01

YateleyRoyal

Ummm why? This trial has been looming over him for years - why would the fact that it has suddenly been given a date change anything?

This was delayed because of the trial of Peter Storrie on (unconnected) tax charges had to be completed first. Storrie won that one, but it means the courts can now proceed with this one.

No idea why there's no reports of the Storrie trail - maybe reporting restrictions weren't lifted - in which case anyone posting about it has probably just broken the law .... oh!

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 14 Nov 2011 14:26

You can tell 'arry has a problem with numbers given this little gem in The Sun today proclaiming that, ''There are only two or three teams in the World who are better than England''. Really 'arry? That's funny because the World rankings say there are 6 teams who are better and in the last World Cup there were 8. If he shows the same ability and understanding for numbers on his tax
returns then he's definitely going down.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Nov 2011 14:53

Royal Rother With all this, and other stuff down the years, hanging over him, he never was in with a chance.

Not so sure. He's the obvious English contender and I think the FA have been burnt by the previous foreign choices and the loss of both Hoddle and El Tel for off the field issues. They've also seen the result of employing someone like McClaren who I think they might feel gave an insight into how another half decent but mid-tier manager like Hodgson would get on (not sure where I stand on that though).

I have a feeling they would've gone with the media groundswell on this and given him the job. He might still get it if this is resolved in his favour.

I'd still quite like to see Martin O'Neil get given the job.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 14 Nov 2011 15:11

Hoop Blah
Royal Rother With all this, and other stuff down the years, hanging over him, he never was in with a chance.

Not so sure. He's the obvious English contender and I think the FA have been burnt by the previous foreign choices and the loss of both Hoddle and El Tel for off the field issues. They've also seen the result of employing someone like McClaren who I think they might feel gave an insight into how another half decent but mid-tier manager like Hodgson would get on (not sure where I stand on that though).

I have a feeling they would've gone with the media groundswell on this and given him the job. He might still get it if this is resolved in his favour.

I'd still quite like to see Martin O'Neil get given the job.

Why this? He has no proven track record at anywhere near the top.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Nov 2011 17:05

I just like the way he goes about things and the way he seems to think about the game.

He's done a very good job pretty much wherever he's been and his main strength seems to be getting the best out of players and putting them into a system that makes them effective. I think that the man management and best use of resources (tactical nouse to an extent) is the key to international management.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 14 Nov 2011 19:44

He isn't the best man for the job anyway and has no international experience.

He plays the press well and is clever the way he appears to be able to get unlimited funds out of the various chairman for clubs he has managed.

He is actually overrated in my opinion - yes he's done well so far at Spurs (not that they've won anything) but has been given substantial funds.

If you look at his previous roles, he left Portsmouth in dire straits financially and purchased players there was no way they could afford on their resources (Crouch, Defoe etc) and from memory he also left West Ham and Bournemouth in a mess.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 Nov 2011 19:57

None of that means he wouldn't make for an excellent international manager though.

Every club he's been at he's had players playing some of the best football of their careers and got more out of them other managers have done. The financial mismanagement isn't really a concern when it comes to international football as there aren't any budgets to over spend.

The best thing about Redknapp is that players appear to enjoy playing for him, thrive under his management and ultimately play decent winning football.

I still don't like the guy much though.

roadrunner
Hob Nob Regular

by roadrunner » 15 Nov 2011 10:31

Mid Sussex Royal If you look at his previous roles, he left Portsmouth in dire straits financially and purchased players there was no way they could afford on their resources (Crouch, Defoe etc) and from memory he also left West Ham and Bournemouth in a mess.

And that's the managers fault? Or the board for allowing the purchases to go through?

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 15 Nov 2011 10:39

roadrunner
Mid Sussex Royal If you look at his previous roles, he left Portsmouth in dire straits financially and purchased players there was no way they could afford on their resources (Crouch, Defoe etc) and from memory he also left West Ham and Bournemouth in a mess.

And that's the managers fault? Or the board for allowing the purchases to go through?

Jointly, although it's reported that Redknapp has a way of being particularly persuasive when talking to chairman.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 15 Nov 2011 10:40

Agreed. Just like they wouldn't stand for having a captain under criminal investigation.

YateleyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by YateleyRoyal » 15 Nov 2011 12:00

That Friday Feeling

Agreed. Just like they wouldn't stand for having a captain under criminal investigation.

Or a former captain who is a suspected drugs cheat. Or another one convicted of affray. Or another who was in a sex tape scandal.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 15 Nov 2011 19:20

roadrunner

Ah so that's only Bournemouth, West Ham, Southampton and Pompey that have ALL been up the creek in relation to their finances.
Not a bad track record that!
Cant think of any other managers that have achieved that on their CV's. The only club he has managed and not fvked up is his present one.

Blokes a liability and may have to spend time behind bars if found guilty of tax evasion.

If Glen Hoddle gets kicked out for being a Bible basher there is surely no hope for old Twitcher!

226 posts