Portsmouth fc

1559 posts
fruits

Portsmouth fc

by fruits » 17 Feb 2012 11:40

Portsmouth Football Club back in administration

Portsmouth Football Club has entered administration for the second time in three seasons.
The Championship club faces being penalised at least 10 points, but could be docked as many as 20.
Portsmouth had been issued with a winding-up petition by HM Revenue and Customs on 3 January, freezing the club's bank accounts.
The administration order enables them to access those accounts and continue trading while searching for new owners.
During the hearing, it was revealed that Portsmouth currently owe around £2m to business creditors, as well as a similar sum to the Inland Revenue in unpaid tax.
Among those creditors are fellow football clubs West Bromwich Albion, Wolverhampton Wanderers and Bristol City, as well as the Football League itself. Portsmouth City Council is owed £78,000.
It also emerged electricity and gas suppliers have been threatening to cut off power to the club's Fratton Park stadium for non-payment.
Pompey became the first Premier League side to enter administration in February 2010, following which they were relegated to the Championship.
The club going into administration for a second time was 'disappointing' but the only way it could go forward, according to Portsmouth North MP Penny Mordaunt.
"By going into administration other opportunities will come up for investors, who would have been reluctant to buy the club with a wining-up order hanging over it," she said.
Earlier this week it emerged Portsmouth had received their parachute payment from the Premier League early, however, chief executive David Lampitt told BBC Radio Solent it would be up to the administrator how money in Pompey's bank account - understood to be around £2.5m - is spent.
Pompey's parent company, Convers Sports Initiatives, entered administration in November, forcing the Championship club to search for new owners.
Portsmouth and CSI
1 June 2011: Vladimir Antonov's CSI take over Portsmouth
29 November 2011: CSI enter administration, Antonov steps down
24 January 2012: Issued with a winding-up order by HMRC
13 February 2012: Portsmouth announce intention to enter administration for second time
15 February 2012: Football League accuses Antonov of misleading the football authorities at the time of his Pompey takeover
17 February 2012: Portsmouth go into administration for the second time in three seasons
CSI administrator Andrew Andronikou then revealed that Pompey had missed two tax payments of £800,000 to HMRC.
It later emerged they currently owe HMRC £1.9m in unpaid tax as well as between £4m to £7m from the previous regime.
The club announced in January that their players and staff had not been paid their wages for that month, as a result of having their bank account frozen.
They later failed to gain a validation order to gain access to their accounts, leaving players and staff at Fratton Park still waiting to be paid.
Former owner Balram Chainrai last week said he was flying to the UK to sort out the stricken club's future.
The Hong Kong-based businessman, who owned the club with Israeli Levi Kushnir through a company called Portpin, is still owed £17m.
BBC South understands that any new purchaser would need to provide £12m as proof of funds, and assurances they could meet another £20m in repayments to former creditors, Chainrai and Alexandre Gaydamak.
However, the Portsmouth Supporters' Trust have claimed that Andronikou is asking them to provide £100m in proof of funds before any meeting between them could take place.

Where does this leave us?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Portsmouth fc

by Mr Angry » 17 Feb 2012 11:43

In the General Football section I suspect....

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Feb 2012 12:01

It affects this league, tho, and should they fail to complete their fixtures
(unlikely, I know) it hurts those sides who have beaten them rwice

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Feb 2012 12:03

Snowball can you whip up some stats on the probability of portsmouth completely falling out of the leagues into non-existence?

I'll leave that with you and check back in a few hours.

Thank you.

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 17 Feb 2012 12:35

Can't remember the chant but it's something like... "No Council Tax, No Vat, Owe Millions to HMRC" :|

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 17 Feb 2012 12:48

fruits Portsmouth Football Club back in administration

Well in the admittedly very unlikely case that Portsmouth did not complete this season's fixtures, and are thown out of the League, (a la Aldershit 1992), then presumably their record for this season would be expunged.

If that was the case we would lose nothing as we lost the away game and have yet to play them at home.

Wet Sham would lose 6 pts and +2 off their GD (they beat them 4-3 at home and 1-0 away)
Southampton would lose 1 pt (they drew 1-1 with them away)
Cardiff would lose 4 pts and +1 off their GD (they drew 1-1 with them away, and won 3-2 at home)
Blackpool would lose 1 pt and -1 off their GD (they drew 1-1 home and lost 0-1 away)
Birmingham would lose 3 pts and +1 off their GD (they beat then 1-0 at home)
Hull would lose 3 pts and +1 GD (they beat them 1-0 at home)
Middlesbrough would lose 1 pt (they drew with them at home 2-2)

So the current table would read something like:
1 . Southampton p30 55pts
2. Wet Sham p28 51pts
3. Blackpool 29 51
4. Reading 29 51
5. Cardiff 29 49
6. Middlesbrough 29 49
7. Birmingham 29 48
8. Hull 29 47

So theoretically, we would be slightly better off. Are you seriously suggesting you want to see the demise of a once proud club just to further OUR status?

Well I wonder what the Portsmouth fans reaction woul be if the boot was on the other foot!?!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 17 Feb 2012 12:56

Geekins
Hob Nob Regular

by Geekins » 17 Feb 2012 13:06

I don't want Pompey to be kicked out this season because... I want to dick them on the 6th March then we go up/stay in Championship and hopefully they'll go down and we'll never play them again! :twisted:

watfordroyal

by watfordroyal » 17 Feb 2012 13:31

How can they be allowed to owe Portsmouth Council £78,000 and nothing is done about it,
yet when you're a little late with the last £15 on your council tax you get an immediate court summons! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Third time into administration = three strikes and you're out, I say.

Goodbye to the cheats!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Feb 2012 13:46

strap Are you seriously suggesting you want to see the demise of a once proud club just to further OUR status?

I know you weren't adressing me but YES I would like to see 3-4 clubs, the bigger the better
going out of business.

Until a premiership club, Rangers, sides like Pompey, go, fans and owners
will always presume. "We are too big to go bust, someone will save us."

These sides are, effectively CHEATS. They are trading unfairly.

That doesn't mean I don't care about the fans, but there are 92 clubs
and they all have an interest in fairer play

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 17 Feb 2012 13:51

strap Well I wonder what the Portsmouth fans reaction woul be if the boot was on the other foot!?!

I'm a bit extreme on this - I would suggest they would be bitter as
- a team that had no money to pay its wagebill, didnt pay HMRC and spunked on a side and manager to keep them in the Premierleague and win the FA Cup, whereas they're own side got relegated that season for not stealing the public money.
- they missed out on Tommy Smith as another side stole money from the public purse to gazump their bid
- they lost away to a first XI of seasoned pros that denied them a vital 3 points

Whether its bribing officials or charging fans (including Reading fans) VAT on tickets that actually is being used to pay the salaries of the opposition, its all cheating.

I have all the sympathy in the world for the likes of Darlo fans, whos idiot chairman lumbered them with a ridiculously expensive ground, or Rangers fans, who have been gripped by debt run up by having to compete with Celtic and attempt to try for europe on a SPL tv budget and fell into the hands of a con man when their own Madejski felt the recession.

But Pompey, Mandaric, Redknapp and their band of Kanus, Utakas etc have done wrong by our club!

They won the league when we were close behind, with Yakubus salary, tax etc no doubt still not paid
They offered Glenn Little a lucrative contract that no club paying their own money would do to a player who had missed a whole season with injury
They stole Smith
They even lost to Fulham!

I want them out! Then the Leicesters of this world, the Man City fans singing wo oh oh Sheikh Mansour and the Administrators signing autographs will all be a distant memory. And from what I can see most Pompey fans are now desperate for AFC Pompey, successive promotions and a return to the second tier, where they belong, and funded by legal means!
Last edited by Z175 on 17 Feb 2012 13:54, edited 1 time in total.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Feb 2012 13:54

Not sure I would brand Rangers " cheats" until we know whats gone on there. If you look at Rangers they haven't been extravagantly spending for years now, jelavic was the only signing they paid a big fee for in 2.5 years or so and that was only 4.5 million which in modern terms isn't very much, especially compared to portsmouth. They've also just sold him for more than that. Police called in as apparently 24million has gone missing or is unaccounted for. They have been abysmally run. I heard portsmouth were having the audacity to reject bids for the players during january? how the fvck are they allowed to do that when they are so far in debt. The decision should be taken out of their hands and placed in a tribunal to decide a fair fee ( so buying clubs don't take the piss)

Z175
Hob Nob Regular

by Z175 » 17 Feb 2012 13:56

FiNeRaIn Not sure I would brand Rangers " cheats" until we know whats gone on there. If you look at Rangers they haven't been extravagantly spending for years now, jelavic was the only signing they paid a big fee for in 2.5 years or so and that was only 4.5 million which in modern terms isn't very much, especially compared to portsmouth. They've also just sold him for more than that. Police called in as apparently 24million has gone missing or is unaccounted for. They have been abysmally run. I heard portsmouth were having the audacity to reject bids for the players during january? how the fvck are they allowed to do that when they are so far in debt. The decision should be taken out of their hands and placed in a tribunal to decide a fair fee ( so buying clubs don't take the piss)

+1

Exactly - different kettle of fish. Rangers have signed how many players in 2 years? Teddy bears = victims! Pompey= cheats!

Tribunal is an excellent idea - but the administrators technically have to the best for the creditors, and sadly getting rid of players and not fulfilling fixtures leads to no club and a sketchy asset in the stadium. The only hope is to trade until some idiot offers to pay at least some debt. I think HMRC have it in for Pompey and will get them wound up this time though. Its not in their interests to settle again, the Redknapp debacle shows how much of our cash they will lose to win the moral battle!
Last edited by Z175 on 17 Feb 2012 13:59, edited 1 time in total.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 17 Feb 2012 13:57

strap
fruits Portsmouth Football Club back in administration

Well in the admittedly very unlikely case that Portsmouth did not complete this season's fixtures, and are thown out of the League, (a la Aldershit 1992), then presumably their record for this season would be expunged.

If that was the case we would lose nothing as we lost the away game and have yet to play them at home.

Wet Sham would lose 6 pts and +2 off their GD (they beat them 4-3 at home and 1-0 away)
Southampton would lose 1 pt (they drew 1-1 with them away)
Cardiff would lose 4 pts and +1 off their GD (they drew 1-1 with them away, and won 3-2 at home)
Blackpool would lose 1 pt and -1 off their GD (they drew 1-1 home and lost 0-1 away)
Birmingham would lose 3 pts and +1 off their GD (they beat then 1-0 at home)
Hull would lose 3 pts and +1 GD (they beat them 1-0 at home)
Middlesbrough would lose 1 pt (they drew with them at home 2-2)

So the current table would read something like:
1 . Southampton p30 55pts
2. Wet Sham p28 51pts
3. Blackpool 29 51
4. Reading 29 51
5. Cardiff 29 49
6. Middlesbrough 29 49
7. Birmingham 29 48
8. Hull 29 47

So theoretically, we would be slightly better off. Are you seriously suggesting you want to see the demise of a once proud club just to further OUR status?

Well I wonder what the Portsmouth fans reaction woul be if the boot was on the other foot!?!

Please fold pompey!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 17 Feb 2012 14:02

If they can stand on their own two feet then I hope they stay alive, if their fans can help them stay on their feet then I hope they stay alive, if they get taken over and pay all their taxes and then I hope they stay alive. However if they continue to dodge taxes which practically all working men/women have to pay and continue to somehow run using funds out of other peoples unwilling pockets...they can get fvcked. Its about time that other fans and high ranked officials told people where to go in constantly bailing pompey out. It wouldn't happen to any other business so why them? There was a Rangers woman on the Radio the other night claiming that the club should be helped or given leniency from the situation. I disagree, no exceptions for anyone. if you don't pay the taxes then you deserve all you get. 1/2 chances to pay off or come to an agreement is fne. Any more then no way. Time to suffer the consequences.

If I was rangers I would seriously think about taking up that place in the English lower leagues right now...starting from the bottom.

bripps

by bripps » 17 Feb 2012 14:09

Z175 I'm a bit extreme on this - I would suggest they would be bitter as
- a team that had no money to pay its wagebill, didnt pay HMRC and spunked on a side and manager to keep them in the Premierleague and win the FA Cup, whereas they're own side got relegated that season for not stealing the public money.
- they missed out on Tommy Smith as another side stole money from the public purse to gazump their bid
- they lost away to a first XI of seasoned pros that denied them a vital 3 points

Whether its bribing officials or charging fans (including Reading fans) VAT on tickets that actually is being used to pay the salaries of the opposition, its all cheating.

I have all the sympathy in the world for the likes of Darlo fans, whos idiot chairman lumbered them with a ridiculously expensive ground, or Rangers fans, who have been gripped by debt run up by having to compete with Celtic and attempt to try for europe on a SPL tv budget and fell into the hands of a con man when their own Madejski felt the recession.

But Pompey, Mandaric, Redknapp and their band of Kanus, Utakas etc have done wrong by our club!

They won the league when we were close behind, with Yakubus salary, tax etc no doubt still not paid
They offered Glenn Little a lucrative contract that no club paying their own money would do to a player who had missed a whole season with injury
They stole Smith

I want them out! Then the Leicesters of this world, the Man City fans singing wo oh oh Sheikh Mansour and the Administrators signing autographs will all be a distant memory. And from what I can see most Pompey fans are now desperate for AFC Pompey, successive promotions and a return to the second tier, where they belong, and funded by legal means!

I know i'm a relative noob but this is my fav HNA post of the past year or so since I stumbled across this site. I couldn't agree more with the sentiment about Pompey (as noted by others, Rangers is a different situation).

-Rant warning-

The Arry & Storrie double act has left Pompey and West Ham in financial trouble in the past yet they seem to have gotten away without a major stain on their reputations. The Arry solo tour left Bournemouth on the precipice due to a ridiculous wage bill. In less than a year he burnt through the Saints dosh by offering average players like Quashie silly wages to sign for him. Yet he's a shoe in for England manager....

Anyone taking bets on him bankrupting the FA?

-End rant-

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 17 Feb 2012 14:16

But it is not all Pompeys fault. The FL and Referees have been conspiring to double punish them twice with wrong decisions...a quote

pompeypops
Friday, February 17, 2012 at 02:28 PM

A leaked email from the Football League to the Referee’s Association gives clear instruction to put Portsmouth at a disadvantage in matches, and favour there opponents. The Football League explained this was another way to punish the club for poor management as they enter administration. However the sanction the Football League takes on clubs entering administration is a 10 point deduction. This means that Football League are attempting to punish Portsmouth unfairly, and in such an unsporting manner it makes the league competition a disgrace. The Football League have declined to comment on this leaked email, and emails and email logs between the Football League and the Referee’s Association have all been deleted. This is more than just an email however, as Portsmouth have been the victims of poor refereeing in recent matches, where a clear goal was ruled out against Ipswich. During the match with West Ham, they conceded a penalty under very unfair circumstances, and later had David Norris sent off for a clean tackle. It appears that not only have the Football League been instructing referee’s to be unfair on Pompey, they are carrying out orders without any questions asked.

paulholsgrove

by paulholsgrove » 17 Feb 2012 14:19

Z175
strap Well I wonder what the Portsmouth fans reaction woul be if the boot was on the other foot!?!

I'm a bit extreme on this - I would suggest they would be bitter as

They stole Smith

Totally agree. And I fvcking hate Portsmouth, their inbred town, that pr1ck with the bell, their sh1thole ground, and their morals. I hope they get kicked out.

paulholsgrove

by paulholsgrove » 17 Feb 2012 14:22

[quote="exileinleeds"]But it is not all Pompeys fault. The FL and Referees have been conspiring to double punish them twice with wrong decisions...a quote

pompeypops
Friday, February 17, 2012 at 02:28 PM

A leaked email from the Football League to the Referee’s Association gives clear instruction to put Portsmouth at a disadvantage in matches, and favour there opponents. The Football League explained this was another way to punish the club for poor management as they enter administration. However the sanction the Football League takes on clubs entering administration is a 10 point deduction. This means that Football League are attempting to punish Portsmouth unfairly, and in such an unsporting manner it makes the league competition a disgrace. The Football League have declined to comment on this leaked email, and emails and email logs between the Football League and the Referee’s Association have all been deleted. This is more than just an email however, as Portsmouth have been the victims of poor refereeing in recent matches, where a clear goal was ruled out against Ipswich. During the match with West Ham, they conceded a penalty under very unfair circumstances, and later had David Norris sent off for a clean tackle. It appears that not only have the Football League been instructing referee’s to be unfair on Pompey, they are carrying out orders without any questions asked.

Lol :lol: so why are we getting penalised?? :lol: :lol:

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 17 Feb 2012 14:25

If anyone else would like some hearty belly laughs or need convincing that we don't actually have the most retarded fans on the planet...I heartily recommend http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompe ... entspage=0

1559 posts