New England manager

428 posts
facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New England manager

by facaldaqui » 30 Apr 2012 13:54

Hoop Blah So first of all you'd give the job to a man who's managerial record is pretty shocking and, IMO, totally mis-handled the U21s last summer, let alone a man who's said himself that he's not really ready for the job.

Then, once he's failed, you're expecting someone from inside the FA to step up as a coach into the manager of the national team? That would take a massive cultural change within both football and wider society. Players need to have confidence in and respect for the person calling the shots. I can't see that happening within our game where club football will always be the breeding ground for national coaches (rightly or wrongly of course).

If we'd taken your approach at Reading, we'd be managed by someone like Sven or McClaren.

Blue Hooped Moose
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Blue Hooped Moose » 30 Apr 2012 13:54

facaldaqui I've already said that I would let Pearce do the Euros. If he did well, he could be considered to stay on. If not we could have another fresh start, but we'd be stuck with Hodgson if he blows this first tournament. I'd appoint a good coach and motivator and try to de-escalate the cult of the England managership; if the FA have been doing a good job (not certain), there should be candidates for the job coming through within their system.

Out of interest, what would you class as a successful tournament for England at this years Euro's?

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 30 Apr 2012 13:59

Blue Hooped Moose
Pepe the Horseman Owls who look like Roy

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... roy-812319

How incredibly sad...

I'm just pleased that i could see what Fiona Phillips thinks on the subject

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Apr 2012 14:01

facaldaqui
Hoop Blah So first of all you'd give the job to a man who's managerial record is pretty shocking and, IMO, totally mis-handled the U21s last summer, let alone a man who's said himself that he's not really ready for the job.

Then, once he's failed, you're expecting someone from inside the FA to step up as a coach into the manager of the national team? That would take a massive cultural change within both football and wider society. Players need to have confidence in and respect for the person calling the shots. I can't see that happening within our game where club football will always be the breeding ground for national coaches (rightly or wrongly of course).

If we'd taken your approach at Reading, we'd be managed by someone like Sven or McClaren.

Totally different situation with club sides and national teams though.

I'm not saying promoting from within can't work at a national level (Germany and Netherlands have proven that's not the case) but we don't have the coaching team in place to do that, apart from Pearce being there as a token gesture. Having watched a fair bit of the u21's under Pearce, and remembering his time as manager at both Forest and City, he's one of the last people I'd want to see in charge.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 30 Apr 2012 14:18

The English footballers forte, is his athleticism not his technique. Fast, physical, attacking football with pride and passion, not the slow, disciplined, containing of Italy and France, or the skilful creativity of Spain and Holland.

I was confident that Harry would have brought the game back to our roots of 90 and 96, and was looking forward to seeing us at least entertain and make us proud, if not bring back the trophy.

Hodgeson concerns me because his football style seems more often than not, incredibly negative. His comes across as easy to push around, and no doubt the FA will be picking the team sheet once again, pandering to merch and sponsors rather than progress or the future. He doesn’t have the ruthlessness to drop the formless nor the confidence to send England out fearless.

Harry isn’t perfect, and his ‘form’ maybe even prove to be a flash in the pan, but at least he has something exciting and old school about him.

I wish Roy luck, but to be honest I feel pretty flat about this appointment. Let’s hope I am proved wrong.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Apr 2012 14:25

Extended-Phenotype ....no doubt the FA will be picking the team sheet once again, pandering to merch and sponsors rather than progress or the future

When you say picking the team sheet again, when do you think they've done it in the past?

I share the concerns over the style of football and I also liked the idea that Redknapp might've been able to bring in a brave attacking style. I'm not sure that can really work for England at that level though (in the same way as it hasn't really for Spurs against the top teams), but I guess now we're unlikely to find out.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 30 Apr 2012 14:39

Come on Roy, get the job and prove all the idiots writing you off to be the total nellies that they are. Personally I hope the FA took a long look at the situation, thought about the pros and cons and just went straight to WBA without giving a second thought to Spurs and 'appy 'arry.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 30 Apr 2012 14:53

Don't get me wrong - I like Harry as a pesonality etc - I just think Roy would be a steadier ship at the moment. And for those who mock the way Harry is "cross eyed" - he isn't, he has a droopy eye, caused by the car crash in which one of his best mates was killed, some years ago. So erm yeah...LOL @ that. :roll: :evil:

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 30 Apr 2012 15:07

LOL!

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 30 Apr 2012 15:10

facaldaqui The FA were faced with a Hobson's choice, and chose Hodgson.

That is not good. Don't do it again.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 30 Apr 2012 15:17

Ideal SuaRACISTez

REPORTED

for irony, and general Spacey-ness.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 30 Apr 2012 15:28

Lets face it you could have Sir Alex in charge with Wenger as his assistant and we still would'nt win oxf*rd all. Your only as good as the players you have, and we have had a crock of overated shit through the noughties.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 30 Apr 2012 15:40

Jackson Corner Lets face it you could have Sir Alex in charge with Wenger as his assistant and we still would'nt win oxf*rd all. Your only as good as the players you have, and we have had a crock of overated shit through the noughties.

^ end of thread.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 30 Apr 2012 16:06

Hoop Blah
Extended-Phenotype ....no doubt the FA will be picking the team sheet once again, pandering to merch and sponsors rather than progress or the future

When you say picking the team sheet again, when do you think they've done it in the past?

I share the concerns over the style of football and I also liked the idea that Redknapp might've been able to bring in a brave attacking style. I'm not sure that can really work for England at that level though (in the same way as it hasn't really for Spurs against the top teams), but I guess now we're unlikely to find out.

With the emergence of the Golden Generation, footballer-come-celebrity, massive sponsorships, TV deals, public broadcast licenses, and global hero-worship from millions who haven’t a clue about football, I do think the FA and media pressured the likes of Sven, McClaren and even Capello into picking certain players who otherwise would have been dropped.

Realistically, they did not expect England to win any of the recent tournaments, so perhaps the financial incentives of picking Messrs Beckham, Lampard, Terry and Gerrard to name a few, over less commercial new or emerging blood, played a part in our team selection.

Either that, or every manager we have had in the last couple of decades has been a complete moron, born the minute of their appointment.

I mean, even a crippled Beckham still got taken to Germany – as an advisor. An advisor of what? “I fink he should like, kick duh ball like, well ‘ard and stuff? An it kick into like, the goal, like? For a goal?” Yeah, cheers Dave; where’s my f/cking pizza?

Anyway; England need to play like England to stand any kind of chance - there is no point in us doing impressions of European teams, like a football version of Allo Allo.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 30 Apr 2012 16:09

Agreed on the last bit.

The rest reads like a gentle acceptance that the FA never selected the team for the manager as you'd said.

The media may have built up certain individuals to seem more worthy of a slot than reality, but I don't think that was really anything to do with managers selecting the 'golden generation' and sticking with the big names even when they failed to deliever at times.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Apr 2012 16:12

Ideal
soggy biscuit 'arry has been a media darling for so long I can see them plotting Woy's downfall already.

The Sunday supplement gang must be fuming

Journalists in general drink quite a lot, I can imagine most of them are probably 'arrys drinking buddies.

You seem to have a problem about drinkers and red faces.
Today it is The Press
Earlier it was Harry
Previously it was Kenny
Presumably some time you have mentioned the reddest of them all,Fergie?

Take Harry off your list,he is only an occasional drinker.

I agree with those who think this is a compensation and /or potential scandal decision.
I agree that Hodgson has much greater experience of international football-the downside of that is that he hasn't managed OUR internationals who appear to have some of the biggest egoes in the world.
I agree that Harry seems better suited for managing that egotistical lot,one of them being his nephew.

The FA have had such a short list of English managers to choose from once a decision seems to have been made to look at English only.
Aren't there just 3 English managers in the Premier League?
Harry-as discussed
Roy-as discussed
Pardew-far too soon to be considered

I am so pleased that Pearce has been discarded-just like Peter Taylor before him,a very lucky man to be anywhere near the England job.
So Hodgson it is and good luck to him.

wingnut
Hob Nob Regular

by wingnut » 30 Apr 2012 16:15

Wasn't there a friendly recently somewhere in the Caribbean where it was part of the deal for agreeing to play that Beckham would feature?

This was after Capello had pretty much discarded him from the squad.

Not aware of this being so explicit elsewhere though.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 30 Apr 2012 16:17

Hoop Blah Agreed on the last bit.

The rest reads like a gentle acceptance that the FA never selected the team for the manager as you'd said.

Huh?

The media may have built up certain individuals to seem more worthy of a slot than reality, but I don't think that was really anything to do with managers selecting the 'golden generation' and sticking with the big names even when they failed to deliever at times.

Beckham, Lampard and Terry should never have been selected in 2006, let alone playing any part in 2008 qualifying or 2010.

What on earth was keeping them in the team if it wasn't FA pressure, the sponsor driven media and commercial appeal?

It certainly wasn't form or ability (in an England shirt, anyway).

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 30 Apr 2012 16:51

What I don't understand is that the FA said they would be interviewing several people and it appears they're not going to. At least interview more than one person FFS. This doesn't happen at work, why should it happen in football? Talk about narrow-minded.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 30 Apr 2012 17:32

Jackson Corner Lets face it you could have Sir Alex in charge with Wenger as his assistant and we still would'nt win oxf*rd all. Your only as good as the players you have, and we have had a crock of overated shit through the noughties.

Agreed 100%, which is why I would get rid of the ones I mentioned, including Rooney - bring in some younger players who haven't got massive egos and who just want to enjoy playing and would be PROUD to play for their country - give them a couple of years to bring them on and by the time the World Cup comes around - we'll have a great team, managed by a solid manager who engenders RESPECT amongst his players and who has not a whiff** of scandal about him.

**probably means Hodgson will be exposed as a cross dresser or something now - but as long as he manages the team and doesn't pander to any egos, I don't care and neither should anyone else! :wink:

428 posts