Football Stadia - Past, Present & Future

713 posts
Yellowcoat

Re: Football Stadia - Past, Present & Future

by Yellowcoat » 14 Feb 2013 00:11

AS is right about Wealdstone who have been shafted again. I doubt any of their fans would feel the same about TK as he does. He has totally ignored all the time and effort they put in to get the PEPF scheme going in the first place (let alone the £300,000 odd cash investment they made as well). Coming on top of being defrauded out of much of the income from the sale of Lower Mead to Tescos and the enforced loss of the £1 million half share in Watford due to the ongoing costs involved you can see why they may be bitter. Having now turned around the loss making set up at Ruislip Manor things should be looking better but their landlord is refusing to extend the lease beyond the next few years. TK has never given them any credit for their early involvement at the Hive (including the half built stadium he now has got agreement from the FA to use) and has just whitewashed them out of the picture apart from saying they could still play there at an uneconomical rent and without any social or bar facilities to offset costs. Hardly the great character AS makes him out to be. Many of the Barnet fans also think that the ongoing spat with Barnet Council has been engineered to enable him to get his own way. He is trying to sell the move to the Hive as a temporary measure but this is doubted in some quarters. The FA old boys club should spend more time looking after the non league clubs who are so badly supported by them instead of failing Football League sides.

Cobi
Hob Nob Regular

by Cobi » 16 May 2013 10:29

Many City plans for their expansion. I guess they didn't notice all the blue seats in their last few home games.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... nd-3859592

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 21 Aug 2014 18:18

I missed this... Ashton Gate to get a revamp after plans for a new stadium were denied by locals. I don't like being envious, especially of Bristol City, but that's a nice looking ground! Work has already began and it should be completed within two years.

The one existing stand behind the goal (home end) will remain, the rest replaced.

Mr.Swainey

by Mr.Swainey » 21 Aug 2014 21:10

Ruining Ashton Gate, then. Best stadium in the Football League.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 21 Aug 2014 23:34

Mr.Swainey Ruining Ashton Gate, then. Best stadium in the Football League.

Great away stand for noise with the low roof.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 22 Aug 2014 06:40

SPARTA

Noticed on the goal highlights that stand has gone already.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 22 Aug 2014 08:28

Very much one of my favourite away grounds

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 22 Aug 2014 09:13

Shame we have such a shocking record there (in games I've seen). Possibly the only ground in the FL that doesn't have backs to the seats either

Whatevs

by Whatevs » 22 Aug 2014 10:41

How long do i have to wait before i can start sneering at the new bowl designs being soulless when compared to the original (and best) 90's designs

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 22 Aug 2014 11:11

SPARTA I missed this... Ashton Gate to get a revamp after plans for a new stadium were denied by locals. I don't like being envious, especially of Bristol City, but that's a nice looking ground! Work has already began and it should be completed within two years.

The one existing stand behind the goal (home end) will remain, the rest replaced.

Do Charlton know thy're trying to clone The Valley?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 22 Aug 2014 11:14

Brum Royal Shame we have such a shocking record there (in games I've seen). Possibly the only ground in the FL that doesn't have backs to the seats either

Quite.

I remember getting stuck in traffic on the way to a game there in the early 2000s. I think we wore yellow. We lost 4-0, I remember listening to their first goal in the car, and the second went in as I was going through the turnstiles, I was greeted by bouncing Bristol City fans and a stool that was partly behind a post.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 22 Aug 2014 11:36

Yup, I was late to that game too. Got in just in time to see the first goal fly in. IIRC that was in the JPT (or whatever it was called then) southern semi final which I think was the furthest we got in that.

EDIT: Not quite true. The LDV vans game was a 4-0 defeat in Feb 2000, the game we are both referring to was in the October 2000. I saw both.

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/211000.html

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 22 Aug 2014 11:42

More in keeping with the theme of the thread, today marks the 16th anniversary of the opening of the Mad Stad.

http://www.royals.org/matdoc/220898.html

Gilksy

by Gilksy » 23 Aug 2014 00:10

Mr Optimist
SPARTA

Noticed on the goal highlights that stand has gone already.

It seems they're actually only replacing two stands. It's not a bad upgrade with a new main stand as well, but agree with the rest that it has a good old fashioned atmosphere in it. It's a shame they can't expand it in similar design to what they have. All these bowls are so soulless. Horrible things.

Sanguine
Brum Royal Shame we have such a shocking record there (in games I've seen). Possibly the only ground in the FL that doesn't have backs to the seats either

Quite.

I remember getting stuck in traffic on the way to a game there in the early 2000s. I think we wore yellow. We lost 4-0, I remember listening to their first goal in the car, and the second went in as I was going through the turnstiles, I was greeted by bouncing Bristol City fans and a stool that was partly behind a post.

Best game there for me was in 94/95 when they were already relegated. Party time for the Royals as we marched towards the play-offs, robbed of our second place automatic promotion place because of the downsizing of the Premier League. Second time I went there there was a feast of goals. I can't recall the final score, but it was one after the other in frantic style. I could barely catch my breath. Possibly the best start to a game I've ever seen.

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 23 Aug 2014 15:22

3-3. I think it was 3-2 after about 25 minutes

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 23 Aug 2014 15:33

Winston Smith 3-3. I think it was 3-2 after about 25 minutes

That was the day The Queen Mother died; we didn't realise until we got back to Reading and heard in the pub before going to the Standard for a curry; led to toasts of "The Queen Mum!" and the downing of short's all night!

:lol:

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 26 Aug 2014 17:52

May be Doddish, but did anyone ever visit Wolverton Park? What a wonderful venue. Some great stuff here: http://tims92.blogspot.com/2011/03/wolverton-park-if-youre-travelling-on.html

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 31 Aug 2014 18:57

That big old shed on the left reminded me of an old ground which had an equally imposing building as a backdrop

And no cheating... who played here?

And here:

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 31 Aug 2014 20:13

The second doesn't look like Upton Park and West Ham were playing there in 1928 so I'd guess it's some obscure, now defunct former league team.

Is the 3rd Huish Park, Yeovil? It's got one hell of a slope on it.

Is that White City in the top one?

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular

by SPARTA » 31 Aug 2014 20:51

Schalke's new tunnel :shock:

Links to their mining past.

713 posts