soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Euro 2012 - Group Stages

by soggy biscuit » 20 Jun 2012 07:55

No Fixed Abode
PieEater
No Fixed Abode Terry - MOTM

Gerrard MOTM :roll:

Strange that Hodgson says they were lucky with the call on the goal when it was really OFFSIDE, so actually we were unlucky that the lino missed the call.

Still a great win and I think we can beat Italy and Germany and get to the final now. Come on England!

Fack off Gerrard was never MOTM :lol:

I would say he was and is probably our player of the tournament so far.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 20 Jun 2012 07:59

:lol:

You are aware he even f***ed up that goal line clearance, officials making a total balls up doesn't mean Terry did well

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 20 Jun 2012 08:18

soggy biscuit

:lol:

You are aware he even f***ed up that goal line clearance, officials making a total balls up doesn't mean Terry did well

He did a lot better than Johnson.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 20 Jun 2012 08:21

Wax Jacket watched it on RTE

Jesus Christ

bearing in mind those pcunts earnt their money playing football in England and now earn their crust talk the Queen's Own you'd have thought they wouldn't be so bitter towards us. 90 years they've had to learn how to broadcast in their own language so why aren't they doing so and saving us their utter crud.

To be fair, if they stick to expressing their bitterness on sporting broadcasts rather than by blowing up children then I suppose they've made some sort of progress.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 Jun 2012 08:22

I actually think John Terry has done himself some credit this tournament - he's not been in the spotlight, hadn't given any interviews (that bbc/itv hammer done our throat) and isn't spoken to after the game(s). I wonder if Roy has told him to keep a low profile and get on with his game.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 20 Jun 2012 08:26

The best thing you can say about England at the moment is that it looks like a "team" for the first time in a while.

Hodgson has to take huge credit for that.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 20 Jun 2012 08:31

Two very soft yellow cards for Gerrard and Cole last night. I hope they don't get another next, in the unlikely event we beat Italy.

Gerrard's was presumably for a jump with a leading elbow, but he made no contact with it. Cole was for time wasting from a throw when he had to wait ages for their sub, I really didn't think he took that long. :roll:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Jun 2012 08:35

TBM I actually think John Terry has done himself some credit this tournament - he's not been in the spotlight, hadn't given any interviews (that bbc/itv hammer done our throat) and isn't spoken to after the game(s). I wonder if Roy has told him to keep a low profile and get on with his game.

Agreed. It must be a conscious effort to keep his head down.

On the pitch he's had some hairy moments and struggled at times, but who hasn't? I think it was Lee Dixon who said who said he's great when the balls in front of him, which I totally agree with, and considering how deep we're playing it therefore makes sense having picked him instead of Ferdinand.

Despite his hairy moment, on balance, I think Terry's had a decent tournament do far.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 20 Jun 2012 08:38

John Madejski's Wallet I am now firmly convinced that Roy Hodgson is a tactical genius who's tactics and team planning are so advanced that to the untrained eye we appear to be sh#t at football

Brilliant!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 20 Jun 2012 08:41

PieEater

Still a great win and I think we can beat Italy and Germany and get to the final now. Come on England!

:shock: :shock:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 20 Jun 2012 08:42

In terms of last nights game, I thought we coped pretty well in the circumstances and there were signs of further improvements and encourment for the future.

Lescott had another good game, our unsung hero so far.
Hart put in a much more assured display and looked the keeper we know he is and need if we are to go any further.
Gerrard had a blinder, certainly proved the doubters wrong all tournament.
Rooney wasn't half as bad as many have made out. It was by no means vintage Rooney, but realistically it was never going to be. He grew into things as the game went on (had to after his shocking first touch) and kept the ball well most of the time (not all obviously) and was involved in lots of our good play.

Bit disappointed in Young and Welbeck, although like Rooney, the former got better as the game went on, until a sloppy last 5-10 mins.

Decent enough, and getting better each game. Liking what we're seeing develop.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 20 Jun 2012 08:49

So Roy has nicked our Brian's mega book of tactics. Stick tight, soak up the pressure and try and counter. It's not pretty but it works 8 times out of 10 and certainly pulls the team together.

Couple of extra WTFs:

Coles yellow card was a joke. Unless I had a spaz attack, wasn't he waiting or interupted by a couple of substitutions / was waiting for the ref to re-start the game before he took the throw-in?
England are a club side according to Clive.
Had Walcott pissed his team-mates off? No-one passed to him when he came on :lol:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 20 Jun 2012 08:54

Happy with that, it was hard work but was always going to be. We are having to knock out the hosts in, arguably, the biggest game in their history. It is naive to expect we are going to do that without the odd dodgy moment along the way. As it was, their two main chances were offside and, other than those, they were mainly restricted to long range shots.

Like Reading under Mcdermott, England under Hodgson may not be pretty but they are hard to beat and they look more of a united team/squad with a common cause than any England squad I've seen in a decade.

LOL @ England & Sweden being the worst two teams in the tournament

LOL @ Gerrard being crap

LOL @ Rooney having a shocker

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 20 Jun 2012 08:54

Jesus Christ

bearing in mind those pcunts earnt their money playing football in England and now earn their crust talk the Queen's Own you'd have thought they wouldn't be so bitter towards us. 90 years they've had to learn how to broadcast in their own language so why aren't they doing so and saving us their utter crud.

I didn't watch the game on RTE last night but I know that the commentators are generally highly critical of England, especially when they are not playing particularly well. I would suspect that part of their 'bitterness' comes from their having earned their crusts playing football in England in the 60s, & 70s. I can imagine they were shown such love by those around them. I sound like I am excusing them - that's not what I want, but I am just trying to understand why.

Your comments about the language are, on the other hand, embarrassing.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 20 Jun 2012 08:56

Nick Shorey my Lord! So Roy has nicked our Brian's mega book of tactics. Stick tight, soak up the pressure and try and counter. It's not pretty but it works 8 times out of 10 and certainly pulls the team together.

Couple of extra WTFs:

Coles yellow card was a joke. Unless I had a spaz attack, wasn't he waiting or interupted by a couple of substitutions / was waiting for the ref to re-start the game before he took the throw-in?
England are a club side according to Clive.
Had Walcott pissed his team-mates off? No-one passed to him when he came on :lol:

No Cole was let down by his team mates just standing there so he had nobody to throw it to, he then kept edging forward and wasn't releasing the ball, ref took it as time wasting

FinchOwl

by FinchOwl » 20 Jun 2012 09:00

TBM
No Cole was let down by his team mates just standing there so he had nobody to throw it to, he then kept edging forward and wasn't releasing the ball, ref took it as time wasting

A team mate of mine got booked in a Sunday league game for the same thing once - we were losing at the time..... :?

Naturally the next time he had a throw we all ran away to see if the ref would do it again, he didnt

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 20 Jun 2012 09:04

Starfish

Jesus Christ

I didn't watch the game on RTE last night but I know that the commentators are generally highly critical of England, especially when they are not playing particularly well. I would suspect that part of their 'bitterness' comes from their having earned their crusts playing football in England in the 60s, & 70s. I can imagine they were shown such love by those around them. I sound like I am excusing them - that's not what I want, but I am just trying to understand why.

Your comments about the language are, on the other hand, embarrassing.

said comments are bl8ant Gus-fishing tbh

I can see your point about the bitterness towards modern-day football

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 20 Jun 2012 09:13

:(

I had assumed you were drunk.

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 20 Jun 2012 09:13

Well that was a pretty awful game to watch but England were very effective and that's all that really matters TBF. My only real criticisms would be that despite reading loads of people saying Milner adds some defensive steel on the wing i can't help but think this is more than outweighed by the number of times he needlesly gives the ball away. Also, despite Kes' backing we, specifically Terry, look a teensy bit ropey at the back at times and having one of the best goalies in the world currently seems very handy.

Always say QFs are our level in any tournament, so we've hit that, now lets see if we can overachieve on Sunday and make my already planned WFH on Monday really necessary

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 20 Jun 2012 09:20

I think it's time to give Milner a bit of a rest and let him be 1st-choice cover for Gerrard or Parker. Italy haven't got a lot of pace so a good time to bring in Walcott.

1381 posts